Topic

I missed the end. What happened?

I thought the shutdown was at 9, not 8. I missed it! What happened?

Thanks Glitch. You were beautiful.

P!nk

Posted 11 years ago by P!nk Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Yes, someone please tell the story! Real life intervened this evening and I wasn't able to make it home in time to see the end.
    Posted 11 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The game shutdown was a pretty typical ending.

People gathered around on a map until it lagged.
    img.im/i/rtzr98
    img.im/i/tqs3s6

God bothered the players a bit with messages.
    img.im/i/p1ean7
    img.im/i/tk2dh6
    img.im/i/fml33x
    img.im/i/nqzo57

Some people had trouble getting on with the sheer amount of traffic.
    img.im/i/lmhi49
    img.im/i/uvt3r8
    img.im/i/dbtq97

Then as god says everything is shutting down, glitches panic and cry at the sound of the Goodnight Groddle song.
    img.im/i/hd2m4f
    img.im/i/dov33l
    img.im/i/vs2rc7

And some special glitches manage to cheat death. Well at least for a while. This isn't the first time of people getting on the game after shutdown.
    img.im/i/ior33n
    img.im/i/dfv3e7
    img.im/i/if2xu5
    img.im/i/nu2hn6
    img.im/i/x1np4d
    img.im/i/xjk33r

Then the game closes down for everyone.
    img.im/i/vkrl46

This image is from one of the beta end of the world parties back before we can take a screenshot of the whole street in a click.
    img.im/i/thax85

This image is from today's end of the world party
    img.im/i/fvr3i5

Do you see a difference? I don't.

Oh wait.... There is!
    img.im/i/uztk76

Actually.... Nope.
    www.glitch.com/snaps/PHVAEG...
    Posted 11 years ago by Macs Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Macs, thanks so much for taking and uploading the screenshots. Now I feel like I have an idea of how the world ended and you have given me a sense of closure. I really appreciate it.
    Posted 11 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • About two hours before the end, Mab appeared to everyone in the world and invited us to try some rubeweed for some "extra luck." It gave you a permanent buff that made all die rolls maxed -- you got a rare with every pet/squeeze/harvest/dig. (This did mean it became impossible to harvest lumps of earth, so dirt became technically a rare item.)

As the final hour approached, the ten other giants started chiming in. There's another thread here with what they all said, but the highlights were Grenadine hitting enter too soon, and Lem speaking several languages. General chat started scrolling so fast with so many people talking it was impossible to follow. At the last twenty minutes or so, the game was seriously getting bogged down, and many people were getting disconnected and unable to log back in.

As the last minute began, camera snaps became shaky and blurry (you can see in some of the last few snaps during that time) or started getting hung and not going through at all (I experienced both). GOD started counting down, and Good Night Groddle began playing. The last thing GOD said was "poof" as the song ended, and then the screen went gray with the message "server restarted".
    Posted 11 years ago by Xaraphyne Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Or was that blurriness because of the hooch I drank? I never drank and snapped before. :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Xaraphyne Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I missed the playing of Goodnight Groddle; I was in a public area and did not have headphones on. But at least I was there. It's been a privilege, guys.
    Posted 11 years ago by kalsangikid Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Xaraphyne That must have been the effects of hooch because other people's snaps right when the server restarted were not blurry.

puu.sh/1zfHv
    farm9.staticflickr.com/8074...

From www.glitch.com/forum/genera...
    Posted 11 years ago by Macs Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I missed it as well. Le sad. Thank you everyone for documenting it for prosperity. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Juniparr Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The lag is one of the reasons cited the game shut down in the first place. Cal Henderson and Stoot Barfield just couldn't seem to figure it out.
    Posted 11 years ago by Deimaginator Subscriber! | Permalink