Topic

Let's play Glitch - a remix demo

Looks like a LOT of people still want to wander the world with their glitchen for SOME REASON...
So here is my try on a little piece of Ur you can take home with you.
It features Cebarkul (what else?), its tool vendor, and a pig...and you may actually win the game ;)

I just found by accident this really cool piece of app named Construct 2, and decided it deserved a little try. I'm not here for advertising, but it's kinda crazy how accessible game creation become with this kind of thing, and no coding at all. Main competitors include Game Maker and Multimedia Fusion, but I dunno... the Construct one felt better, has a free HTML5 version (the one I used), and a definitely more glitchy website design :p

So here is the little prototype of mini-game I could make in like four hours or so...
This is more a proof-of-concept, as I don't have the time at the moment to make some actual gameplay, (and as I rather make my own graphics and game if I ever do...) But for those who want to rebuild something from the Art of Glitch, imagine a platform where a group of people could gather, and create those little spaces, all connected together, and you will have your Urth Two.

Enter The World...

EDIT: See the follow-up to this project as an actual game here

Posted 11 years ago by Lemo Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• For anyone interested in creating their own, go on and download the free version I used
    It looks like this: layout - events - animations
    And the Construct file for this project: glitch.capx

This is what I used to convert glitch swfs to image sequences:
    http://swfrenderer.kurst.co.uk

Also before considering bigger projects, as kukubee mentioned, let's wait for Tiny Speck's official stance on asset usage in the coming days....
    For example if more graphic resources were released (say as creative commons), people could build their own streets, with more complex stuff, like depth and parallax.
    Btw thanks to TomC for the snaps and music compilation threads!
  • I won the game! :D
    Would it be possible to change characters?
    Posted 11 years ago by AwesomeCardinal2000 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I thought that winning the game would unlock advanced character options. :P
    Posted 11 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Nice!  I want to feed the piggie!
    Posted 11 years ago by Goddess Freya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah I believe there's a way to change characters... I haven't added the option though, so you'll just have to play with taht lab' pirate of mine for now :p The thing is that Construct has to import successive single frames for the animations, and you can't use the character sprite sheets from the API directly. But there's probably a way to process the files first from a php script, or reusing something like striatic's script
  • Oh, that's wonderful. It feels so good just to jump around again!
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Coco Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, that is just...kinda cool!
    Posted 11 years ago by chilirlw Subscriber! | Permalink
  • oh AWESOME!!! Some jumping. Exactly what I need in my life.
    Posted 11 years ago by Marie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hey, this turned out really cool!
    Posted 11 years ago by TomC Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks guys :]
    I updated the first reply with links to the actual source files for the "game"
    Have fun
  • How did you generate the sprite sheets for the Tool Vendor and Piggy? 
  • This is incredibly awesome, Lemo
    Posted 11 years ago by Osiris χ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Good point. I added the link to the handy app in the first reply as well ;)
    Btw, do you happen to also have a compilation of all the items/npc swfs in this game Tom?
  • I have started a compilation but it's not complete yet. Also TS staff are making official GIF animations too: http://www.glitch.com/status/PHVAEGH6KB92AR7/37484-25674998/

c2.glitch.bz/items/2012-12-...
    c2.glitch.bz/items/2012-12-...
  • Yeah, I saw and asked for APNGs instead :p
  • Oh yeah I just realized those GIFs don't have a transparent background!
  • Good work!
    Posted 11 years ago by Scrimshaw Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This browser doesn't accept HTML5, but I will check it out when I'm back home :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Shocker Subscriber! | Permalink
  • wow, this is awesome lemo!  missed the crowds and wished i could pet and nibble the piggie lol!  but that's my emotional 'stuff', not complaining, cause this is fabulous :)  thanks!
    Posted 11 years ago by Nikki Z Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That was a lot of fun to play, and this actually helps out with my project as well
    thanks for posting this little game up
    Posted 11 years ago by Deus Marionette Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That was lovely :D Even if Glitch the Remix was just a singleplayer sightseeing hop around Ur without any gameplay, it would be good! I know the multiplayer was the bit that got most love from the majority of players but it was also the hardest bit for TS.
    Posted 11 years ago by Pyrrhocorax Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Nikki actually there's some silent petting going on every time you pass by the piggy ;)

@Deus yeah I was quite curious when I saw your project too, how is it gonna be done? flash? something else?

@Pyr I wish I could do multiplayer indeed, there are some discussions on Construct's forum on how it could be done more easily...but it won't happen anytime soon for sure :p
    But about the gameplay thing, stay tuned I may have decided to release a "complete" game remix pretty soon ;)
  • this is wonderful! i'd be very interested in trying out a "complete" game remix. :) thank you for making this!
    Posted 11 years ago by Catatafish Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well, then you may be glad to know that the next part of this project has been posted here ;)
  • omg i loved it
    Posted 11 years ago by ◘ ▪ Leï.Leï ▪ ◘ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • made me smile  thanks!!  :D
    Posted 11 years ago by CoffeeSnob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hey, 
    I don't know much about Construct, but you wrote earlier "The thing is that Construct has to import successive single frames for the animations, and you can't use the character sprite sheets from the API directly." - so I googled it and found this in the manual. Therefore, it should be possible to use the sprite strips from the API directly, shouldn't it?
    Posted 11 years ago by Dragonflyz Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah that's the dialog I used here, what I meant is that the software loads the sprite sheets to cut it into successive single frames inside the development UI, then re-assemble those into its own optimized sprite sheets at export time.
    So all of that has to be done manually in Construct, and can't happen dynamically at runtime (in the context of an html5 app with no download and manual overwriting stuff) if you load another character.
    Now, there are some feature request going on on the forums, and I also just figured out a way to "hack" this with an animated mask system, that I should be able to use later for Game of orbs :]