Topic

It's so nice to...

...have this website still up so we can wean ourselves off of Glitch gradually, isn't it? Since the game ended, I've been exploring other games, shoveling lots of snow, and trying to figure out what it means to have a life again...lol.

But I keep coming back here, to download snaps (manually, cuz the auto-archive thing f***ed some up, though the text docs of captions were a nice touch!), peruse friends' status updates, check my mail and see what's new in the forums...glitch is a hard habit to break, and I'm glad I don't have to go cold turkey.

Those of you who know me well know that I'm not much of a people person. Oh sure, I can DO the whole social thing (somewhat), but as a rule I much prefer the company of other species to humans. In real life I tend towards reclusiveness and introspection (although I DO love a good party!), and I have a pretty low opinion of the human race as a whole, so it was a surprise, a delight, and a privilege to meet so many cool folks here. 

I started actively playing Glitch in Sept. of last year. In the beginning, I played it in spite of the social aspect, certainly not because of it. In time, I grew to both despise the social aspect, because of the forums, and paradoxically, to embrace it wholeheartedly...also because of the forums, and largely because of the beautiful friends I made here. Someone said recently that "This game has changed me." It changed me too...I'm still not sure quite how, but I think I would say that it deepened me in some way. At the very least, it touched me deeply.

Here in these forums we've argued and fought and called each other names...many of us adults (and yes, I include myself here) have behaved much worse than the young folks who discreetly played alongside us. And yet, I have made some incredible friends here...many of you are closer to me than my real life friends, some of whom I haven't spoken with in years. You have been my family, and while we as a community of players have been a sorely dysfunctional lot, I can honestly say that I am grateful beyond words for this experience that has been Glitch, in all its multitudinous facets.

Although I am heartsick it is over, I am also feeling a strange sense of relief. I'm sure this statement won't be popular, so feel free to rant away. But basically, like all things in life, Glitch HAD to come to an end eventually. Like all of you, I wish we'd had more time...a week, a month, a year...to grow our world together and to solidify and cultivate our relationships. But at the same time, SO much of my time was spent here, that it took energy away from other areas of my life, and I'm looking forward to getting that energy back.

I mourn Glitch's passing, but I'm also looking forward to what lies ahead...hobbies to persue, a new rl job to find, new game worlds to explore, and new ways to maintain and grow friendships made here. I love you all (well, most of you...ok, ok, ALL of you), and I'm glad we still have a few weeks to "hang out" here and do our Glitchy thing in our little Glitchy community. Cheers all...thanks for reading, and good luck in your new adventures! 

(Speaking of endings, last week I bought what I am sure was the very last 12-pack in existence of Blue Moon's Harvest Pumpkin Ale. If you never tried it, I'm deeply sorry...it's the best beer ever, and it's sadly seasonal. Not only is it delicious, but I've spent many a night enjoying my rl pumpkin ale while my glitch enjoyed her moon-walking pumpkin ale, and both are sadly no more and...well, at least Blue Moon has other varieties to enjoy. Hey, maybe I'll apply for a job with them! Good times, my friends, good times. :)

So what will YOU be doing with all that extra free time on your hands, huh? Do tell!

Posted 11 years ago by KitchWitch Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Not really sure KW, it's like being cast adrift. I have been able to finish off several books recently since I now have the time.
    Posted 11 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well, the crying is getting to be annoying.  I can't help it but it happens too often and really takes me by surprise.  I wake up crying which is really strange.  When I get that under control I edit Glitch screenies and other photos and work on Genealogy.  I also have spent a lot of time looking for another game.  I have tried a few but none suit me just now as none come close to the beauty of Glitch.  I also move back and forth between FB, Google+, Flickr, Ancestry and here to read and post.  Despite all of that I still have a large empty part of my day in which I know not what to do. 

I usually played Glitch about 3 times a day for a total of 4 to 6 hours a day so now I am left with a lot of empty time in which the darn tears fall and mess up my glasses.  The madder I get about that, the more the tears fall, a nasty, annoying cycle.  This is made worse by the closing coming at this time of year as Glitch would have been my Christmas and now I need to find something else.  I can't travel this year so I am home with no good game to play and all of those dreadful holiday marathons on TV to avoid.  Sigh.  I used to do a lot of crafts but my vision has reached a point where it is difficult to do any of them now.  I had surgery and went from near sightedness (great for crafts) to far sightedness (not so good for crafts even with magnifiers).  I do enjoy parchcraft and may drag out my parchment and tools and try to do something with that.  I'd love to make some Glitch art!  As soon as I get the crying under control I'll try it!
    Posted 11 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I hear you, Brib Annie...although I'm glad to have some extra time, I've been feeling like a sad and lost little puppy since Glitch closed, and I'm hard-pressed to figure out what's going to fill that void. I do need a new job, however, having quit my last one in May, so I'm sure that's going to take up some of it. Still, all work and no play...I'm gonna need some play time for sure. (And yup, Mal, I've got a pile of books to go through...my winter reading is covered. :D)

One hobby I'd love to take up is spirographing...some of you folks my age (40) and older might recall that from your childhood. You take a pen and put it in a hole of a plastic wheel and move it around within another plastic wheel, sometimes with incredible results. I love the sacred geometry of it (being able to create a lotus flower just by repetitive motion is just surreal...http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e9362676b67b.gif) and something about going around and around in circles just...appeals to me. (Btw, if any of you know how to create that pattern I linked to, I'd LOVE to know...been searching for it for ages!)

Brib and Mal, I'm not sure if mail is working anymore or not, but you both are two of my fave people here, and I'd love to keep in touch. Mal, I've got your email addy but not Brib's, so here's mine...I posted it in a status update and it's on my profile page for anyone who wants it: kitchwitchglitch@hotmail.com. I'm usually bad about checking email, but now with all this extra time I've been checking it pretty regularly. Would love to see some of your art, Brib...do keep in touch!

We WILL get through this, we will...in the meantime, cry as much as you need to, and give yourself extra pampering time, because you need it and deserve it...we all do. And just remember...when one door closes, another opens. Hang in there guys...it's not the end, just a new beginning. (Round and round in circles, I tell you...spiraling upwards, around and around.)
  • Reading this thread had changed me. But I guess it shouldn't be a surprise there are so many people with smug superiority complexes out there. Or maybe it should, because we extroverts are stupid right? Figures.
    Posted 11 years ago by Reirei Umezaki Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow, Reirei...add that to my list of "didn't see THAT coming." And here I just read another post of yours in another forum and thought I liked you...sad judge of character, me. Post something else, k, so I'll change my mind yet again...round and round! :D I don't know of this "superiority complex" of which you speak, but the giants know, my opinions are fickle and change with the wind...so change. ;)
  • Seriously Reirei, get some help.
    Posted 11 years ago by Phoebe Springback Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 Phoebe. 

Need I remind everyone "Dont feed the trolls, they will keep coming back!"
    Posted 11 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Move along, nothing to see here... let's return to talking about the original topic...

Re: the Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale, I was thinking that it + some seasonal pumpkin ice cream in a blender just might equal a Glitchy pumpkin ale. Probably best to test it with a more pedestrian beer first.
    Posted 11 years ago by Little Poundcake Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Beer and ice cream?  That seems...........weird!!  You try it first, let us know how is tastes. LOL!
    Posted 11 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • And let us know if it grants you moonwalk powers!
    Posted 11 years ago by Caiyot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I can't find another game to play so I keep watching Netflix.
    Posted 11 years ago by Polly Nomial Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm thinking that I will not pursue another online game. Nothing will match up to Glitch anyway.

I really do need to get back to my sewing machine and make quilts. Read books. Hope my hands have recovered enough to return to knitting. Play video games with my daughters; they're on the point of moving out on their own, so I need to have that time with them as much as possible!

That sounds like a pretty good plan. :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Flowerry Pott Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well, Guinness milkshakes are amazing, sooo...
    Posted 11 years ago by Little Poundcake Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Back to The Sims, I guess.  And I've been doing some graphical stuff in the past few days, which is nice.
    Posted 11 years ago by Annuska Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 for Guinness ice cream being delicious. Pumpkin ale and ice cream sounds even better.
    Posted 11 years ago by Rusty the Sismanaut Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Beer and ice cream isn't as weird a thing as it sounds, honestly! I'm thinking maybe in a year, when I can more easily get good pumpkin beer and ice cream, I may have to take a shot at some pumpkin ale myself... what a great idea. :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Derpmage Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm continuing playing Glitch...in my head! I'm not actually kidding. In some ways it's even better than the real Glitch - no arguments, no bugs, and no dead pigs EVER. The new updates are great too! There's tree kangaroos with beer in their pouches and a lovely tropical region for them to live in. You get them to come down from the trees by pulling their bellpull-esque tails. Seriously, it you don't know what a tree kangaroo looks like, you owe it to yourself to google it. Perfect perfect animals.
    Posted 11 years ago by Pyrrhocorax Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Most of my free time is now spent being mad that I have so much free time. I'm too poor for hobbies or leaving my house to do these *things* people speak of (no car, 20 minute walk to get anywhere, that "anywhere" is mostly just shops I can't buy things in, and also, it's really cold outside!).

I've got a birthday in a week and of course Christmas a week after that though, and I asked for some new hobby related things for them. I'm hoping people go crazy with those ideas and get me all sorts of things to do, rather than stuff that won't occupy my time. And they're all new to me, so I would need to learn and practice.
    Then maybe I will not be so upset, if I have things to replace Glitch with. For now, I'm cranky most of the time, and think about my impending birthday at least two dozen times a day.
    Posted 11 years ago by Biohazard Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well, does dreaming Glitch count? It only started happening after the closing announcement. But lately I awaken in the middle of the night with the Groddle music in my head and a memory of jumping through Glitch streets with some tree, patch, or batterfly's speech bubble calling me to talk with them. Also, I have this warm feeling and this big smile.  That is, until I remember that I can't log on. Time heals all wounds, or so they say.

It's nice reading about how everyone else is feeling and thinking, though. :)

[Edit: In terms of hobbies, I've resumed my crocheting that I put on hold for after the end of Glitch. My vision has deteriorated making close up work a challenge, though. I put looking for a new game on hold, right now they all disappoint.  Maybe after a while I'll look again.]
    Posted 11 years ago by Kridla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @kridla, I'm having Glitch dreams too. It's sort of happysad. 

I'm currently busy getting stuff sorted for Christmas - 3 kids to get stuff sorted for, plus getting the house presentable for visitors - which is taking a fair amount of time, plus my parents are moving house next week so I'm helping with that. Then I've got a big job coming in which will take me through to mid-January. 

And then... well, back to the things I've neglected during my Glitch adventures. My knitting and crochet, my attempts to learn to sew, my blog, my writing... Which will be nice, I suppose. 

@biohazard - what sort of stuff are you interested in, hobby-wise? I'm the Queen of the Shoestring, so I may have some suggestions that could help? 
    Posted 11 years ago by Schiehallion23 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Funny, I'm back to knitting and crocheting too. I made a crochet mesh bag and am halfway done with a really pretty scarf I started a couple years ago. Happily I made good notes about how I'd modified the pattern and where I was in the repeat so I didn't have to rip back. *whew*

@Biohazard, yes what hobbies do you do? I might have suggestions too because I was on a shoestring budget in grad school.
    Posted 11 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've started quilling, and am trying to work up to a point where I would feel practiced enough to attempt a quilled portrait of the Scion.

As for games, I've finally settled on one that comes the closest to filling the Glitch-shaped hole in my heart. It's called Here Be Monsters, and it's on Facebook. There are a bunch of Glitchen playing, and it definitely has some Glitchy aspects to it.Of course it's not the same, but it is the best I've found so far.
    Posted 11 years ago by Liathea Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's not so much shoestring as it is I-can't-even-buy-food-until-January. Anything I do (or eat) has to already be in my apartment (uuuuuhhhhhg so much riiiiiice), and basically I have nothing. Not for too much longer now though.

I can do simple embroidery, but I have no unstretchy fabric left. I have tons of beads, but left my pliers behind in my cross country move last year, and haven't replaced them yet. I asked for crocheting stuff for the holidays, I don't know how to do it so I'm hoping I get a book along with the more definitely required supplies.
  • *joins Here Be Monsters*

*traps a Spriggan*

...I feel vaguely blasphemous.  (And yet, I kind of like it.)

@Bio - would you feel weird giving out your snail mail address?  I ask because I have a spare pair of pliers kicking around that you'd be welcome to have.
    Posted 11 years ago by Annuska Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aw thank you Annuska. That's fine though, I will probably get some come Christmas (I was supposed to last year, apparently, but they ran out before my mom could get some). I just have a few days left of cranky boredness to get through :)

Played FreeCell for like....4 hours today. It almost worked, except now I still have two hours to waste and if I see one more card I will probably cry.
  • Bio, I sent you a message - well, it said it sent but I'm not sure if it worked! 
    Posted 11 years ago by Schiehallion23 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • For me, first I'm catching up on some things neglected while frantically playing Glitch (like e-mail, LJ/DW, and tidying around the house :-) ).
    Next, I need to do some Lego building, since I'm supposed to be displaying a couple of things at Brickvention.  And some juggling and stuff, I've spent too much time sitting at computers lately for some reason :)
    And sleep ... that got pushed aside for a while there too.

I'll probably get back to computer games - maybe Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, when the OS X version comes out (don't tell me if it's already out, I have Lego to do first :)  ).
    But probably not MMOs for a while - I'd been generally avoiding them for years, after getting totally hooked on (text-only) MUDs in the mid-90s, and figuring that online games with pretty graphics would hook me even worse - based on the evidence with Glitch, yes, they do :)

So, back to "normal life" ... and just occasionally, random music from Glitch starts playing in my head.
    In a while, I guess it'll feel more like a long, intense 7-week holiday, leaving me with some happy memories and a bunch of snapshots :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Jixel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Beer milkshakes. So wrong yet so awesome. Why haven't I tried this before?!
    Posted 11 years ago by Thursday Soleil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aww man, beer is fattening enough, but add ICE CREAM to it? Whoa dude...that's so crazy, I might just have to try it. Good thing I have lots of snow to shovel to burn off those excess calories. :)