Topic

Glitch API

Ya know... I don't even know what the heck API stands for.... but I think it is what allowed players to create apps that could access Glitch in wonderful ways.

The first that comes to mind is Glitch Remote.... where I could go to search for stuff in people's towers.

Do/did other games do this?

Posted 11 years ago by Pirate Apples Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I think its fairly rare to allow it....But Glitch Remote, Glitch Academy and The Houseing Resource Routes, those sites i used almost everyday.....it wouldnt of been the same without all those tools players made...Thank You!!!:)
    Posted 11 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The player input into this game is one of the things that I adored about Glitch. It was like players were an integral part of the game. I can't even begin to describe how much that meant to me.
  • An API is an Application Programming Interface. That's helpful, huh?

There are lots of little hooks into Glitch that we use all over the place to do common things so that developers don't have to write it from scratch each time. We opened up some of those little hooks to the world so that developers could do the things we didn't have time to do, didn't want to do, or hadn't yet figured out how to do well — Glitch Remote and its peers are perfect examples of something that needed to be done but that we didn't get done before the community filled the gap. The housing resource route sites are another example, as they used the same hooks we used to find out what resources were on a given player's home street and who was on their signpost.

In short, the API is an extension of the Ur sandbox. We didn't know exactly what you guys would do with it, but we tossed all the tools out there and let you figure it out. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Little Poundcake Subscriber! | Permalink
  • See?

This game was so wicked awesome. And more awesome because TS opened up some of those little hooks.

I'm so glad there were players smart enough to take advantage of the opportunity!!!!