Topic

Fiber Artists Unite!

Glitch had more crocheter and knitters and sewers than I've ever seen in a game, and I'm wondering what projects they plan on picking up now that the game is gone. I am determined to crochet a helikitty (after the holidays). What do you guys plan on making to remember Glitch by? Have you seen anything or made anything you'd like to share? Why did Glitch attract us crafty people? Why is Glitch so awesome?!

Posted 11 years ago by Lady Melisandre Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I have been knitting a tiny Voluptua since last October. She never got assembled because I was spending all my time playing Glitch. I will be finishing her now, I think. Not sure what else yet, but definitely some RL spinning with my splendid spindles and wheel.

There's a Glitch group on Ravelry if you haven't yet joined. Search for 'glitch' and you'll find it! :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Voluptua Sneezelips Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My Glitch wore a particular flowery headband - I chose it on my first day playing and however often I changed my clothes, I kept the headband. I'm going to try to make myself one. I haven't decided whether to try crochet or to sew it.
    Posted 11 years ago by Schiehallion23 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've posted this somewhere else already, but I've made a couple of projects in the past few weeks.

First was a plush Batterfly Cubimal for a friend's birthday. It's the same thing I gave her for her in-game bUrthday.

After that I made myself a fleece Faded Heart because it was my favorite in-game memento.

I was pretty pleased with how they turned out since they were only my 2nd and 3rd attempts at sewing any sort of plush anything. I'm sure I'll continue making things to remember the game by. I'm thinking of making either a Magic Rock or my butler next.
    Posted 11 years ago by WallCrawlingHero Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Voluptua - I joined the ravelry group as soon as I heard of it, but I don't go on enough! Will definitely go on more to check on glitchy things.
    @Schiehallion - when you make that, please please please please post pics of it anywhere you can! I love headbands in RL and to have an idea as to how to make one from glitch would be the best!

And I love that Batterfly Cubi! 
  • My myer's Briggs type is enfp and as the game was closing I wondered if Glitch had a higher than average population of enfp and compatible personalities and if that might account for the higher than average number of needle crafty types. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Wren Bramble Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There's a ravelry group?! Must join that.

Been planning to make something glitchy, but I've been putting it off.
    Posted 11 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm knitting cubimals for my nephews for christmas. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Feylin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am planning to needlefelt a Theremina Lute, quite large, maybe a foot tall. I need to buy more colours of wool fluff before I can do this, though, so it's on hold till the new year.
    Posted 11 years ago by Theremina Lute Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @wren bramble: We have a similar type--I am infp on myers briggs and I love to knit, sew, paint, wood craft and am a not-so-good crocheter.

maybe there is a correlation??

I don't know what I'll make yet but maybe little yellow gloves, so I can have one of my glitch's favourite shades of skin.
    Posted 11 years ago by Minkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • INTP here. Based on sample size of 3, it seems like artistry does not correlate with MBTI type. Here are some felt dolls I made of Lettuce and my husband's avatar Kludge: Glitch felt dolls!
    Posted 11 years ago by Lettuce Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Also, WallCrawlingHero, that batterfly cubimal is epicly beautiful. I LOVE the extra special touches of the info card and cubimal box. Your friend is so lucky :-)
    Posted 11 years ago by Lettuce Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have been crocheting a piggy to try to ease my sadness since the closing. He's been put on hold for holiday gift crafting, but is about half finished now.

I am on Ravelry as Yse!
    Posted 11 years ago by Yse The Great Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I made a little sampler of giant symbols strung together with hearts! Now I'm working on a quilt with the giants' symbols reverse appliquéd in charcoal beneath a surface patchwork of variously ecru and taupe linens and cotton broadcloths. It looks pretty terrible at the moment because I transferred markings to the surface with a water-soluble marker and haven't washed it out yet, but hey look it's Grendaline! (In my head the quilt is entitled But There's Only Eleven Giants—each block finishes to 16", so arranging 12 of them in a 3x4 matrix will produce a quilt sized for napping under on the couch—the twelfth block will have a single ominous flight feather on it.)
    Posted 11 years ago by Melismata Rookwood Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Holy crap that quilt sounds and looks amazing! I like making little things, but I wish I had the skill to make something like that, something awesome AND useful. Plushes are fun, but ultimately don't do much but look nice and I'm definitely a function over form guy.
  • INFP here. No hint of an 'E' in sight. :)

Also, Meli is indeed amazing, and is possessed with a superhuman talent in many creative forms. I want to be like her when I grow up.
    Posted 11 years ago by Voluptua Sneezelips Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Voluptua, you wild hyperbolist! :P

WallCrawlingHero, I am kind of a form-function-and-meaning-on-equal-footing gal! I adore all the fanart people are making that's like real-life versions of game items (yeti hats and cubimals!!!!!), but I've kind of got a material culture preoccupation and have vivid worldbuildingy daydreams about the concrete and tactile everyday experiences of Ur. The giant symbols are especially lovely to me, and I adored how big a role giant-worship played in my Glitch everyday (I had a regular shrine circuit for donating, verbed every icon, kept a bigger bag of emblems on me at all times), so all the fan art thoughts I have been thinking have had to do with how Glitchen would incorporate that iconography into their everyday objects if that was a thing that they did.

Don't ask me what mittens Lemmites would wear on ice-gathering expeditions in Nottis, because I totally have an embarrassing comprehensive answer and am articulating it in knitting AS WE SPEAK. D:
    Posted 11 years ago by Melismata Rookwood Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Melismata, that is awesome! One of the things I loved about the game was the amazing depth of the history/religion to the world and the fact that the truth of it was also a total mystery leaving the players to really create their own stories and histories, sort of like real-life. I love your idea of creating pieces that reflect what an actual Glitchen would have or use in their day-to-day lives. Maybe things that they could buy at a craft fair in Groddle Meadow. It's like FanFic in crafts!

And of course you know we have to see those mittens now.
  • I made a Gwendolyn cubimal out of felt (and stuffing!) for a friend's birthday, and I'm thinking of making some others. Might crochet them instead.

The Giants' Quilt is amazing already. Wow.
    Posted 11 years ago by Vilya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What is this about enfp and types? I'm so, so lost.
    I love imagining what all these projects will look like! This "glitch fan-fic (fan-fib?)" idea has me thinking about possible projects now, perhaps a Glitch-bag inspired bag? There's so much I want to do!!! Aggghh!!

For those who are looking at this thread and thinking "Ahhh, I wish I could make cool stuff like this..." - fear not! If you can do very basic hand sewing, have a printer or can hand copy silhouettes well, and can get a hold of numerous colors of felt or fabrics, you can recreate your own glitchy things! Just print a picture of the Glitch item you want and cut it out(if hand copying, just dot onto the fabric and cut), trace with dots onto the desired fabric with a pen and cut, then arrange all the pieces onto a fabric background of your choice and sew on! I just started working on one and it should be done very very soon, and then I'll share! I'm using many textures of fabric to keep things interesting. 

Oh and, I'm Manifestra on Ravelry. I'm lazy with the posting of finished projects so all I have is a trashy swimsuit that I made. 
  • I have a thousand Glitch projects and no time to make them! Maybe after I finish with all the Christmas orders I'll finally be able to start something. My Etsy shop doesn't leave me with time for anything else at the moment. On Ravelry I think I used my shop name (ZukkaBlu) but I hardly ever go there - I'll make an effort :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Zira Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My Cubimals live here for now in Ravelry, and for the non-Ravelrs, you can see them here: Flickr.
    Posted 11 years ago by FrogIris Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, I didn't see this one earlier. :D Once I'm through my holiday crafting, I'm planning to work out patterns for large-size plushes of my Glitch and Butler (and will likely make the patterns available, I intend to scale the Glitch pattern to a Build-a-Bear Workshop plush to make clothing easy to obtain and change, with the Butler scaled appropriately). From there, I'm not sure what next, but I think working with some of the things this game created and finding ways to plushie-fy them might be the way I go, it'll get me some good practice in pattern creation for plushies if nothing else.
    Posted 11 years ago by Derpmage Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Derpmage, so am I. I've got a tiny prototype at the moment (link below), but the pattern upscaling didn't quite work so still have some work to do on that. Not very skilled unfortunately, so it is slow going. But I'll get it right eventually. I'd love to see what you come up with too!Flickr link: http://flic.kr/p/dCmNni
    Ravelry doesn't accept sewn projects though, so I'm not on there. The only knitted part is going to be socks.
    Posted 11 years ago by Lorian Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm on Ravelry as dormouse_daughter. Will try to go there more often (& join the Glitch group).

Love these ideas/items!
    Posted 11 years ago by Mocha Maid Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lorian, that's adorable! :D (Sorry I didn't see this sooner!) I hope your upscaling goes well; I haven't had a chance to upscale the pattern I have yet, but I think I know what alterations to make so my hopes are high.
    Posted 11 years ago by Derpmage Subscriber! | Permalink