Topic

Yesterday I needed an escape...

...And Glitch and my butler RagDog were not there to comfort me with their wacky ways.

Yesterday, my 8 month old puppy passed away suddenly and unexpectedly. I was distraught, and without thinking, came to Glitch to escape. I soon recalled that it would not be there to comfort me this time...

Share your stories where, even in the short time it has been gone, you have desperately missed Glitch.

Posted 11 years ago by The Rook Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• So sorry about your puppy, Rook. How distressing and sad :( I visit the forums everyday because I'm just not ready yet to admit that Glitch is gone. It almost makes it worse, though, because I want to enter the world and can't! There have been no particular moments when I desperately miss Glitch: it's just a general sense of loss and wondering when I will ever find anything else like it again. And, I'm beginning to realize that it wasn't the game itself. It was the people.
    Posted 11 years ago by Lilycat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • On Friday, after the terrible news from Connecticut, I really, really wanted to spend time in Glitch. Instead, I'm doing my best to bestow Random Kindness on people in real life. I think we all need a little kindness right now.
    Posted 11 years ago by Axa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • And Rook, my deepest sympathy on your loss.
    Posted 11 years ago by Axa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I still come on to Glitch every day hoping for a miracle and the only comfort is reading the forums and knowing that you are all still out there somewhere being wonderful and caring people. Its not the same but....oh well. And I understand how close you feel to your pets- I've had my dog since I was 16 (was given her for my 16th birthday) and sadly she is on her last legs now, poor girl. I worry about her every day but she still seems happy in herself and eating well. They become a member of the family don't they?
    Posted 11 years ago by Talia True Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Rook-((hugs)) I am sorry about your puppy that must be tough. Friday night was extremely tough for me as Axa alluded to. I grew up near that area, and just thinking it could have been a family member or friend really freaked me out even more. Glitch is like the warm fuzzy blanky we all need when things are going badly in the world. I couldn't come here so I joined FB and found my friends and support there. I dislike FB but in times of need you do what you need to do. Community support is important. Kindness needs to be shared more freely. If only the world had more Glitch.
    Posted 11 years ago by Holly Waterfall Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am terribly sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is heartbreaking, but even more so when it's sudden and unexpected.

I have pretty bad anxiety which sometimes manifests itself in really nasty ways. The fact that Glitch was browser based and loaded quickly made it the perfect thing for me to turn to when feeling panicky; something I could access instantly which was silly and had a welcoming community and you can't lose. I am missing that badly right now.
    Posted 11 years ago by Yse The Great Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have received news from the breeder of our recently deceased puppy. They were so sorry to hear about or loss they are giving us another newborn puppy on the 30th.
  • @ Rook:The loss of a beloved pet is heartbreaking, I know. How wonderful that the breeder will give you another puppy. That will be a nice way to start the new year. You might enjoy the novel "A Dog's Purpose" by W. Bruce Cameron. It's written in the voice of the dog and will make you LOL and boo-hoo a little. I really liked it. 
    Posted 11 years ago by GreyGoose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hi Rook, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your pup. It's at times like this that Glitch came into its own. I must say I felt quite panicky at the thought of not having my favourite form of escape to retreat to when life just gets too tough to bear. I suppose I'll just have to go back to endless re-reading of Discworld books. It's nice that the forums and home page statuses are still here though. I'm enjoying catching up with you all.

Good luck with your new puppy, I hope they fill up that wee hole in your life left by the loss of your older pup.
    Posted 11 years ago by Momo McGlitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Rook, so sorry to hear... Where are you hanging out on the nets these days? I mis your mischief!
    Posted 11 years ago by Moehr Ossum Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ Moehr Ossum

I have been mindlessly playing minecraft and Aion: Ascension, but nothing can replace glitch.
  • I am so sorry to hear about your puppy.  The loss of a pet is terrible.  I love my brood to distraction.  I hope you have many healthy, wonderful years ahead of you with your new pup.

I have a need-for-Glitch story to tell, but it is also sort of terrible.  I have to think about it.  I will come back and tell it later.
    Posted 11 years ago by Andrasia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A couple of days before Glitch closed I found out I'm sick.  I might go blind.  I could die.  Most of the treatments would make me blind.  There is one treatment that could work.  I have to go far away from home, away from my noisy home full of children and animals, by myself for six weeks for treatment.  If I could take only one thing with me it wouldn't be food or clothes or anything like that.  It would be Glitch.
    Posted 11 years ago by Andrasia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm sorry Andrasia, and I hope your treatment goes smoothly. My sympathies to Rook, too: losing pets is terrible and it's even worse when they're young and you're not ready for it.
    Posted 11 years ago by Elizabeth Park-Fowl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Glitch, and Faunasphere before it, has given me so much relief from chronic pain and endless loneliness.  It is especially hard to lose at this time of year when everywhere I look and any place I go is full of happiness and joy while my heart is breaking and I can find little relief.  I look forward to the art and music that will arrive at my door in 2013.  I enjoy all the screenies and snaps and videos.  Those all give me comfort when I find it too hard to go on.  Until I find another game, I will enjoy the memories and the Chat in various places on the WEB.  The loss of this site at the end of the year is something I hate to think of so, I play in Wardrobe  :)

BTW, do you know what is hardest for me?  This is so silly but, I miss my morning Guano rounds in the Caverns and Deeps.  I still come here in the mornings to do it before I, once again, realize I can't get there from here.  I must Imagine harder.
    Posted 11 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I AM NOT THE ROOK!

ETA: Although I do not mind that you sympathize for the OP. Just wanted to get some things straight.
    Posted 11 years ago by Rook Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ^^^
    Posted 11 years ago by Palindrome Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm sorry for your puppy too :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Hollyhawk Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ Rook

Btw man, kinda off topic, but I'm sorry for my user and the confusion it caused xD I didn't realize until it was too late someone had the name already
  • Aw, The Rook, I'm so sorry about your puppy.
    Posted 11 years ago by Little Poundcake Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ Little Poundcake, Thank you for your condolences :)

Thank you to everyone who has sent me their support! It means more than you know
  • Aw Rook, I am so sorry for your loss. Hugging you.
    Posted 11 years ago by Priscilla Parsley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I remember every dog I've ever loved and lost. I'm not a spring chicken so that's a lot of dogs. It's never easy, especially when it happens suddenly.

Sorry for your loss **hugs** and good luck with your new puppy.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kridla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I wish that did not happen to you and your puppy!!  I hope you are well.  I wish you the best and hope you feel better.

We lost our little dog in February.  He was connected to me by a very strong tether and buckles and tape and heart strings and he was as obsessed with me as I was with him.  When he first took ill in December, we were so empty and worry and sadness rushed in.  I used Glitch to push out the dark and fill myself with happier images and play.  I hated it so I retreated quite a bit into Gllitch.  Juggling school, work and my little dog and my family was not easy.  I was so tense (me, the calm, easy-breathing hospice volunteer, the death and dying student, the "no big deal" girl) that I put the needle right in and then right out the other side.  My little dog just looked at me like it was okay.  I could not try again for weeks and my guy had to do the IV (subcutaneous??) thing all on his own.  If it wasn't for my Glitch escape, with blue skies and little animals and nothing bad, I don't know what I would have done.

It does get better even though the loss doesn't really go away.  I'm sorry you don't have your happy place to go to, I know just how good Glitch was with that.  I think reaching out to us was a good thing and another way to get some escape.

Nothing bad ever happened in Glitch.  That is why I think the craziness that sometimes took hold of the forums was so pleasing to me.  It didn't hurt when some were being mean or irrational or disrespectful of others because I only cared that it was okay, it wasn't "real bad", it wasn't even close.  Wanna fight over trees or home streets, just let me know and I'll smile along with you.  I think I still have a couple bottles of hell wine, we can pretend that a bean tree is more important that a gas tree.  Dang, now I miss Glitch more!!

*hugs*  Had we met in game, I would have let you steal my chickens.
    Posted 11 years ago by Minkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am so very sorry to hear about your loss, The Rook. My deepest condolences.
    School has been out for a long time on my end, as everybody's major exams are over. It's been raining for a long time, so I've been missing Glitch constantly. On Friday night, I went meteor-chasing (Geminids Meteor Shower this month!) to try and fill the void. I've also been trying to write, but all I want to write about is Ur...
    Posted 11 years ago by Maria Diatorre Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I very much wanted to come here after finding out that my fiance isn't as invested in our relationship as I was...it seems he wants to be with someone else and failed to tell me. I had no indication that something was wrong. I at least had a few close friends to talk with, but I wanted so much to come to Glitch, to Ur, to escape and to meet with all the great people who loved it, too. I finally opened up my zip archive of snaps and had a good look through them all, and seeing my butler reminded me that I wanted to make a little plush of my little Mizuki. I've thrown myself into fabric selection and making a pattern from scratch (with a bit of help from good old google)...I don't know what I'll do when she's finished and the pain is all I'm left with. Probably drown her in tears. T_T

I'll miss you all so much, you preposterous yet lovely glitchen..
    Posted 11 years ago by Moonie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sorry to hear that Rook. I had a couple of dogs die over the years and it doesn't get any easier. One dog had a sudden heart attack on Christmas day 2 years ago! I don't even know how I would handle it with an 8 month old puppy and so I am sending lots of RK your way.

If anything, my little Morris is happy that Glitch closed 'cause it means more time for me to throw things for him.

As for the no Glitch to come to as sanctuary, I know what you mean. I am so seriously ill all the time that when I found Glitch after many years of suffering I was relieved to find something that finally meant I had some quality of life. I have tried every game listed in the thingy on forums and elsewhere and haven't found a new home yet. Not even anything I am half impressed by. LoTR lego is pretty awesome and so am trying to pace myself in the hopes of something else turning up.
    Posted 11 years ago by Cleops Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am so sorry to hear of your loss, The Rook, and very sorry to hear of the other troubles my forever fellow Glitchen have encountered. I do miss retreating to Ur and I'm slowly coming to terms with it not being there as my safe refuge.
    Posted 11 years ago by TransplantedEntwife Subscriber! | Permalink
  • As it happens, Glitch eased much of the sadness I experienced when I had to have my beloved, aging cocker spaniel put down. Glitch Beta filled many empty hours and took my mind off my loss. I am so sorry, The Rook, and hope very much that your new pup gives you years and years of joy.
    Posted 11 years ago by Mollie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Andrasia: hope your treatment goes well and you return from that hospital with your sight intact. Fingers crossed from now until the end of treatment!

And all the other people with sad things in their lives (and there seem to be a lot of those going around): hang in there! There are Glitchen all over the world thinking of you, rooting for you. There will be something nice or even wonderful coming along, be patient. It won't be something you expected, but it will come. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Silvery Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Idea:Go to glitch.com/downloads for now and play those on loop.
    It always makes me feel better, except for the occasional crying spasm.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kayaka Violin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm sorry to hear about your puppy's fate. I wish you the best of luck in life, you have a long way to go.
    Posted 11 years ago by Rook Subscriber! | Permalink
  • After reading through the comments, I see I missed one.

@ Andrasia, I am sooooo sorry to hear about your bad news :( I am praying for you.
  • To Andrasia, Moonie, and The Rook - many hugs.
    So many Glitchen are holding you close in their hearts and prayers during your difficult days.
    Posted 11 years ago by katyroo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm sending all fellow Glitchen who are in need some RK. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Kridla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sorry to hear of your loss.
    Posted 11 years ago by Virginia Moon Subscriber! | Permalink