Topic

Here's my article on the end of Glitch

Somebody asked me to post my article on the end of Glitch when I got it done, so I have!

Here it is: gameological.com/2012/12/a-...

I hope you enjoy it. I had fun writing it and hear your stories, though I'm sad about the occasion that brought us all together.

Posted 11 years ago by XtheOwl Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Very nicely said!  Thank you for sharing.  I do believe in a kinder world and games like Glitch prove it exists.  I also believe that one day somehow I will find where the Devs put the Door to Ur and I can sneak back in with all of my Friends.  I think that door may be hidden in my Heart.
    Posted 11 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • THERE SEEMS TO BE SOMETHING IN MY EYE
    Posted 11 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lovely job, XtheOwl, that was just great.
    Posted 11 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • OMGiants! You captured the Glitch spirit perfectly! Thank you so much for writing it and sharing it with us.
    Posted 11 years ago by Flowerry Pott Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Great read well done :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Misha Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Great article. Thank you for sharing! :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Wynella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Very sweet elegy.
    Posted 11 years ago by oscarette Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is lovely;  thanks for sharing it.  I've followed you off and on on the AVClub over the years (Community!) and it's nice to see you here.  I wish I'd known who you were sooner;  I would have loved to get to know you better.

I have never seen Brigadoon, but your description of it reminded me a little of Palimpsest, the devastating novel by Catherynne Valente.  It's about a fairy-world beyond our own, to which people become so addicted that their Earth selves will literally destroy themselves just to get back there.  Adding to the tragedy is the fact that the natives of Palimpsest are just trying to live their own lives and don't really know what to do with all these "tourists" who come crashing in and then beg to stay.  It's a very very difficult read, and doesn't have much of the sweetness and hope of Glitch, but the melancholy of Glitch's ending and the frantic nature of players dealing with the loss might be a line of comparison.  Valente is one of the best living fantasy authors IMO and I heartily recommend her work.

Sorry for the tangent!  I really did enjoy reading this, and I'm thankful that you took back the "stupid" comment from earlier :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Pale Queen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That was lovely. Thank you.
    Posted 11 years ago by Beyond the Pale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Pale Queen: I am definitely going to check out that book! And thanks for the kind words about my AV Club work. You can definitely bug me on Twitter any time.
    Posted 11 years ago by XtheOwl Subscriber! | Permalink