Topic

Giants of Ur-That-Was

I'm in the process of adapting the Giants to use in my D&D campaign (yes, I'm a nerd), and am having some trouble deciding on domains for each.  Some Giants are easy, others have but one or two obvious domains and nothing else.

www.mit.edu/~locutus/DnD/De...

Bear in mind that the page is a work in progress.  While it's visible, nothing links to it yet.  I plan to add an all-encompasing blurb at the top and possibly change the individual blurbs so they're not quite so plagiarific (unless I get Tiny Speck's okay to use their words, of course).  I also need to figure out what sort of acknowledgement or copyright notice I should put on the page, since the Giants are, obviously, TS's intellectual property.

Finally, if TS would prefer I refrain from doing this, it's okay.  I just thought it would be a nice tribute. :)

Posted 11 years ago by Locutus Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• :o
    Posted 11 years ago by Sororia Rose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow, that's pretty good! Kudos to you! I was thinking of the same thing, actually (a D&D Glitchy thing) with some dice rolls and what classes would use what (along with funny weapon ideas like frying pans and planks with armor including perhaps an awesome pot on ones head XD) but it's all just that - ideas, I don't think i could ever bring them forth to flesh some kind of campaign with them...
    Posted 11 years ago by Ayasta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That gives me an idea.  I'd bet that each cocktail mixed or blended in Glitch could be adapted to some use.  Let's see...

Earthshaker: +2 alchemical bonus to Strength-based skill checks and protects the imbiber from fatigue due to physical exertion.  Lasts one hour.
    Flaming Humbaba: +2 alchemical bonus to Constitution checks and provides the effects of an endure elements spell.  Lasts one hour.
    Pungent Sunrise: +2 Int and allows the imbiber to retrain two skill points in one day.  Lasts one day.
    Wine of the Dead: Kills the imbiber instantly, but no level is lost if the imbiber is raised.

Admittedly, I've found that people are more receptive to wacky additions if a campaign is relatively normal; well, as normal as D&D gets.  They can also lighten the mood if the players are getting too serious.  While the berserk calzone golem (or bacon elemental) is actually trying to kill the party, it will provide a delicious meal once it's defeated.
  • I like it! That's fantastic!
    Posted 11 years ago by Ayasta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't know much about D&D, but just looking at the list I think you need to add "Plant" and "Gluttony" to Mab as well.

Also... if you add Trisor, then you get 11 giants + 2 extras = 13 characters, which are prime numbers!  Trisor would go well with Death and Destruction, but unlike the Rook I don't see him as an evil character.  I would put him more with "Life" and "Balance" because he exists in both Ur and Hell (in Ix and Naraka).
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Portinari Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I always saw Trisor as more of a servitor of the Giants.  He wasn't on the d12. :)

Good catch on Mab, though.  She definitely should have the Plant domain.  Not so sure on Gluttony.  Her followers may tend toward greed, but that doesn't necessarily lead to overindulgence--it's more likely to lead to hoarding.
  • It would help if you said which edition of D&D this is designed for! I'm guessing 4th, since I don't remember a "Gluttony" domain in either 2nd or 3rd, but I'd like to be sure before I break out my books and peruse domains.
    Posted 11 years ago by Faranae Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ah, right.  It's 3.5 (the Gluttony domain was added in the Spell Compendium).

The main page for the campaign is http://www.mit.edu/~locutus/DnD, though I haven't yet linked in the deities page since it isn't finished.
  • I've updated the page a bit, adding a header blurb for the whole Giant pantheon.  I still need to flesh out some of their basic stats.

Next up is the Hawaiian pantheon (when I've time).