Topic

A small Glitchmas present

Hello everyone.

I know, it's a bit late... But here's my present: I try to rebuild Glitch. Okayokay, wait and read the whole... no... the shortened story (or skip it and use the link below but be warned: It's really incomplete!).

A few days ago, I've tried to program something Glitch-like - and failed hopelessly due to the small amount time's left. And then, I've met someone who already started and programmed a small and slow - but mostly working - Chat. He's now looking into the main game. I've decided to host his little project on a free hoster I've already been registered. It is unfortunately very unstable but may enough stable to work the most of the time. Back to the game: As stated, at the moment it's only a chat. He will evolve it in course of time to a game like Glitch. It's actually NOT Glitch, mainly because of the copyright. There will be never again a game like Glitch, but maybe we can get close enough...

Okay, here's the link for the (future) game "Ray of Hope": http://ray-of-hope.spiele-cu.ch

Now, one more thing: If you want to "transfer" all your stats like achievements and skills, answer this topic or write your Glitch-name at Ray of Hope in the chat and I will try to save your stats away as soon as possible. You can also leave the name of a Glitch-friend or -acquaintance. I have enough disk space ;-) . Only one thing you need to do: Due to the limited time remaining I wont be able to save your snaps away...

Merry Glitchmas to everyone :-D .

If you have any question, just ask.
By the way: This is the first time - and also most likely last time - I've wrote something in this forum :-D :-P .

Q&A:
Q: When will it be done?
A: I don't know...

Q: Are one of you guys a TinySpeck employee?
A: No.

Q: What for a programming language you gonna use?
A: PHP, MySql, HTML5 (you need a browser that supports HTML5 to use this page!). At the moment also mainly JavaScript, but it may get reduced/replaced by more efficient code. No flash!

Q: I can not connect to the site... What I'm doing wrong?
A: Presumably... Nothing. Probably the server is overloaded or crashed... again.

Q: How can I contact the programmer?
A: He only speaks german and his english is much worse than mine. Talk to me, I'll pass it on.

Q: How can I help?
A: Join by and have fun!

Edit (22.03.2013):
I had a lot of problems with the freehoster I've uploaded my site to... Aside of a really long loading time, some crashes and other problems, there was a really bad happening: He didn't let me upload any new file (or edit an existing one) at all, as the freehoster changed their servers... For over a Month!

For this reason, I've moved everything to my old (now updated) website at ray-of-hope.spiele-cu.ch . This brought significant performance improvements, also along with other advantages...

Mrs. Teasdale, Sir Rachel & Mablem Tiipot: Thank you, thank you and thank you :-D .

Posted 11 years ago by Edelsteinschürfer Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Once again I'm amazed that people take this on. I appreciate the desire to recreate something glitch-like and I know how fun it can be to create something from scratch.

But TS spent literally millions of dollars running a large team of highly skilled and experienced people - and yet they failed, partly due to technical issues.

There isn't a single German-speaking developer alive who could pull this off on his own, even if he wasn't confused about the relationship between html5 and JavaScript.

(Sorry about the rant. I'm just amazed at how many people have gotten this "great idea" during the last month...)
    Posted 11 years ago by Vic Fontaine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is such a wonderful thing you're doing for the Glitchen community.. I wish I could make a donation but unfortunately funds are short right now and I'm currently unemployed. Best of luck to you!
    Posted 11 years ago by Kiruu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • www.gourdianknot.com/
    Posted 11 years ago by Goddess Freya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Nur schmarrn.
    Posted 11 years ago by Janitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Vic Fontaine: I know, how crazy that thought is... But I also know how often I've already heard "You can't do this." and I still was successful (that was usually the case, really!). Should he fail and give up, I'll overtake and continue the development. Further: At the moment, we both are "alone". That doesn't mean we will stay alone forever. About the money: Don't worry about it. About the JavaScript/HTML5; I meant the JavaScipt used in the actual Code, not HTML5 itself or the technology behind it. - Stats Saved.

Kiruu: Thank you so much :-) ! I've talked to him and we were of the same opinion: We don't accept donations. Your gratitude and pleasure means much more for us! That's not a joke. Really, thank you. We wish you good luck on finding a new job! - Stats Saved.

Goddess Freya: I know this site. But I see no progress... - Stats Saved.

Janitch: Ich zitiere und schliesse mich an: "Ich schätze konstruktive, erfrischende Kritiken. Dieser Text ist keine. Es ist auch keine Bewertung. Es ist... nichts. [...] Aus diesem Grund steht da ja auch "unfertig". Wer ein fertiges Spiel erwartet kann entweder nicht lesen und/oder [...] hat keine Ahnung von der Programmierung. [...] Es wird ja niemand dazu gezwungen, das unfertige - oder auch fertige - Spiel zu spielen." - Wie auch immer, falls Du mal später in dem "schmarrn" mitspielen willst; - Statistiken gespeichert.
    -Translation-
    I translate and quote his answer and I agree: "I like constructive criticisms. But that is neither a criticism nor a rating. [...] There are sentences which say "incomplete", you need to reread them if you expect a (finished) game. [...] Nobody is forced to play the - finished or unfinished - game." - Anyway, if you later decide to play it; Stats saved.

Sadly I had to realize that my hoster doesn't support sockets, so we need to search for an other solution. We found one, which will uploaded tomorrow.
    Happy new Year!
  • Sorry for the rude response. I was reacting to the "HTML5 without JavaScript" comment in the original post, which makes no sense at all. Good luck with your efforts.
    Posted 11 years ago by Janitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Janitch: That's the criticism we like ;-) . Since this sentence caused some misunderstoods I've changed it to a more... precise text. Thank you for your help and your wishes :-) .
  • Great idea! I wish you all the best success!
    Posted 11 years ago by Mrs. Teasdale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • fun idea!!!!!!!!
    Posted 11 years ago by Sir Rachel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes, do it!
    Posted 11 years ago by Mablem Tiipot Subscriber! | Permalink