Topic

Final request

So ok, so the shutdown of the website appears to be immanent...unless I missed something, they're still due to close at the end of the year. IF and I emphasize "IF" that is the case, is there any possible way for the devs to archive our profiles pages, primarily our personal news feed that includes our own status updates, skills learned, badges earned and whatnot? 

I checked mine out tonight, and by continually clicking "more" (about 30 minutes of constant clicking) I was able to go back aaalllll the way to when I first started playing this game. I tried to select all and c/p to a word document, but as I feared, my 6 year old laptop wasn't up to the task and froze. If not the devs, are there any wizzes out there who can do this for me and email it to me as a text/word doc? I don't need the graphics, just the text...if so, email kitchwitchglitch@hotmail.com. A HUGE thanks in advance, and many wishes for the happiest of New Years!

Posted 11 years ago by KitchWitch Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• This would be a lovely idea!
    Posted 11 years ago by Ayasta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Kitchwitch

I am working on it... You can access it here

Edit: Wow, I'm not getting very far... I keep getting this error: Error loading feed: Non-200 HTTP status: 0

There is probably a better way to do this than just copying and pasting but I don't know what it is. I hope some techy person can do it for you. Sorry.
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Bobbit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I did that a few days after the game closed, wondering, what my first achievement was, for a moment I thought about copy-paste the whole text but word keep dying after being frozen for several minutes.I gave up on that and decided to screenshot all of the NF,profile,friends sections..
    Posted 11 years ago by S-Wahnsinn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ooh, I had no idea we could go back all the way in time. I successfully copied my news feed with icons into Word, after leaving my com alone for about 15 minutes to process the pasting... It probably wouldn't work had I been more active in collecting achievements (it only took 10 min or less to click til the end of my history). I agree it would be nice if there's a better way to archive our profiles for sure, but I'm not holding out much hope for it.. :C
    Posted 11 years ago by Kieley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh wow Miss Bobbit, thanks SOOO much for trying, and getting as far as you did...that's awesome!!! {{{{HUGS}}}}

Yup, I agree, there HAS to be a better way than copy/paste but damned if I can figure out what it is. Maybe some sort of conversion software or something that converts html to text? But when I try to save it as html, it still only saves the first part of the profile, not the whole thing, so I dunno... anyone else have any ideas? Happy New Year all! *smooches*
  • There are html-to-PDF converters, which would probably be best for something like this, but I am not sure that they could save the more dynamic bits -- click to open replies to postings, etc -- but if someone can figure that out, it seems the best way to go here.
    Posted 11 years ago by Aglet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • omg why didn't I think of PDF? It's so simple compared to copypasta-ing! Thank you Aglet. I clicked to the end of the news feed again and this time opened up my Chrome print dialog and saved the preview as PDF. :) 
    The only sad thing is that everything beyond a year ago just shows up as "a long time ago"... if only there was a way to save the exact timings (which you can see when you hover over).
    Posted 11 years ago by Kieley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd love to follow mine back to March 10, 2011 when i entered - Lol!  If it were possible, it might take days.  I have been here through 2 game resets but the Home, forums, etc. continued.
    Posted 11 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh cool, I might try the pdf thing too! Only thing is when I hit print (or ctrl p) in Chrome, it brings up my default HP printer print dialog box, which unfortunately doesn't have the save-to-pdf option....grrr.

I found a workaround for this for anyone having the same trouble...type about:flags in the chrome browser window. Scroll down until you see Print Preview, and click to enable it. Now, when I open print either through the wrench or ctrl p, I get the Chrome print preview which will allow me the option to save as pdf. I did a test of the Glitch home page (just the main page, no "more") and it's a HUGE file with no graphics at all, save for black squares. Still, it might be the thing to at least get the job done! Thanks Aglet and Kieley!
  • Another thought...use video capture software and make it into a video. That way you can get all the graphics and the replies. Hmmm....choices, choices!

ETA: Whoops can't get the replies easily, cuz if you click on one, when you return to your profile it's back to single page...doh! D'uh, blonde moment, sorry. Ah well...it was a nice thought while it lasted.

ETA 2: Tried the pdf thing, but had the same prob I did with trying to c/p to word, which was that the huge amount of data transfer caused my comp to freeze and almost caused Chrome to explode (got the "Oh, snap" error message and it killed the glitch web-page). sigh. So I think for me, the video capture is the best bet...the end result won't be as clean and neat as a scrollable text/pdf/doc file, but it will do the job. Back to clicking through "more" again....
    *grins and bears it*
  • Install CutePDF and print (to PDF) after you've expanded it all the way.
    Posted 11 years ago by KaiyonAlatar Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't even... I can't even think of opening my entire Profile update page thing. 30 Mores and I'm at a snapshot from November 30th...

Actually surprised that you guys can click back that much; I remember something about some of the older updates were deleted with the closing to save space. Guess not.
    Posted 11 years ago by Palindrome Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @KitchWitch
     Gone back for you probably 14months +  worth. Eventually it runs out of dates and just saya "a long time ago" I dont think even my new shiny macbook pro can cope with anymore loading of page. cut/past into word is grinding its gears to the max. As soon as I figur out how to zip it to you I will be sending an email :)

edit to add check your email :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Misha Subscriber! | Permalink
  • WHOOOOO thanks so much Misha! I'm blown away by your efforts on my behalf...that's just so cool!!! {{{{HUGSHUGSHUGS}}}

Yah Brib, those profile pages are killer to click through, but perseverance furthers...you really CAN go all the way back to the very beginning. I started actively playing Glitch in September of 2011, and it takes me an average of 25 minutes of constant clicking to get to the beginning, so I'm assuming that it's possible for everyone, though everyone's profile is different, of course. Keep in mind that auctions are posted on the profile, so if you sold a ton of auctions, you're gonna have a LOT of clicking to do to get to the beginning, if indeed your's will go back that far. (And yah, the dates tend to disappear after about a year's worth, replaced with "a long time ago," as Kieley and Misha pointed out.)

The clicking-through is a drag, but doable...the problem comes with trying to then save that info once it's clicked through. The process of copy/paste really tends to gum up the computer works, as does trying to save-to-pdf, as both Miss Bobbitt and Misha found out when they went to work on my profile...thanks again SOOOO much, guys!! Misha, you got super-far...you must have the patience of a saint. You both totally rock my world...*bows to Misha's and Miss Bobbit's supreme Glitchiness*
  • Most welcome Was watching TV at the same time so it was not hard work :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Misha Subscriber! | Permalink
  • :) You're awesome, Misha...thanks again!!

To anyone who is thinking of going the vid-capture route for saving their profiles, I just discovered a cool thing tonight. (Yeah, yeah, I'm blonde...some things take me awhile. So if you already know this trick, bully for you.) But basically, when you're on your profile page, if you've been clicking "more" for quite some time and you want to see a reply without it screwing you up and making you start over from the beginning, all you have to do is right-click on the reply link and a menu will open. One of the options it gives you is to open the reply in a new tab, or in an "incognito window." 

So, by choosing one of these options, you can view (and video, or screenshot) the reply or comment or snapshot or whatever without losing your place in your profile. This works on the home-page too, of course. So when (or IF) TS announces that they're shutting down the Glitch website, I'm going to video my profile, complete with any replies/comments/snaps. I'm probably also going to do the same to my home-page, cuz you all are just so swell with all your status updates.

I was supremely touched by Miss Bobbit's and Misha's herculean efforts to save my profile, and I'd love to pay it forward. So if anyone who doesn't have video-capture software would like me to try to video your profile, please let me know. TS said they'd give us ample warning of the closing beforehand, so I'm assuming I'll have enough time to do them all. (One caveat: I haven't tried to do mine yet, and so I have no idea what kind of lag I'm going to encounter, between my gi-huge profile page and the vid-software itself. So I'm not sure it will even be possible, and as such, I can't promise I'll be able to do yours. But I can certainly promise that I'll try!) 

Cheers Glitchen...big love to you!
  • @Brib Annie - I've just taken mine back 21 months, 3 days, 21 hours and 28 minutes! (It took forever to load up but not quite so long to pdf 110 pages :)
    Don't know what the quality's like... don't have the will to open what will be a massive file!
    Posted 11 years ago by Momo McGlitch Subscriber! | Permalink