Topic

Any Secrets the Devs wish unmasking?

Possibly a bit more insight on the Interragation room or the penatly box? Or how about what happened to the gum trees? Anything else we have no idea about? Please Tell Us! I'd love to know that in the end, my butler turned evil and started helping the rooks wipe out Ur in some quest. There was something i've been wondering about awhile too: Whats with the sea monster?

Posted 11 years ago by Taco Assassin Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6
  • Here is the incredible backstory of the sea monster:

I asked stoot if I could put a sea monster on the map.
    He said, "Sure."
    Posted 11 years ago by Kukubee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeeeeee!
    Posted 11 years ago by Carl Projectorinski Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yay! :D thanks for the sea monster, stoot and Kuke :D
    Posted 11 years ago by NightDraconis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sea monster??!?!? Link anyone?
    Posted 11 years ago by Dagnabbit Rabbit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sea Monster, on left side of map. 

What was to happen to the subway? 
    Posted 11 years ago by Eye Wonder Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Nessie? Is that you? :)

Has anyone counted all squares to see how many potential lands we would have eventually had? Or is there an official answer to that? Wish we could have seen them all. So happy to have been able to enjoy what we did see.
    Posted 11 years ago by Dagnabbit Rabbit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm also curious about the eventual vision for the subway!
    Posted 11 years ago by Zoethor2 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have lots of unanswered questions, would love answers from the Devs or anyone else who knows, eg. :
    - How many regions were planned ?  Would most of the world map have been covered ?
    - Could the world map have been made larger if required ?
    - Was there a plan to make the economy fully player-based - e.g. all the items that were only available at shops (honey, beer, etc) made craftable/harvestable in some way ?
    - Who is E-yon, and how did they visit over 1700 locations ?  And what were the extra 300-or so ?   (errr, see the Travel leaderboard to see what I'm talking about)
    - Were there going to be more subway lines, or more ... unusual modes of transport, like the dinosaurs ?
    - Plans for more skills, or was the skill tree about complete ?
    Posted 11 years ago by Jixel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • E-yon's a dev.
    Posted 11 years ago by SeerQueen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Awww. Pulling up the link to the sea monster, made me want to enter the world again. So many questions, unanswered. Did anything the trees were telling us towards the end mean anything?
    Posted 11 years ago by Lilycat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • this isn't a secret, maybe a little-known fact at best, but the dead trees around East/West Spice depicted on the regional map for Ix was a callback to the original tree wars.

on the question of the travellers leaderboard, E-yon was a dev, but so was joby...

there were indeed plans for more skills (I believe), possibly including a skill to let you turn snaps into pictures you could hang on your wall.

I'd still love to know more about the original plans for the lost city of abbasid, as well as for Ball.  (and what was the loneliness quest?  was that an autumn's day?)
    Posted 11 years ago by katlazam Subscriber! | Permalink
  • During First Beta there were sea monster sightings in Alakol.  I searched and searched but never saw it so I can't say it wasn't just Imagined but still...
    Posted 11 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lol, I'ma first beta watcher of Sea Monsters! (Do a bit of searching, and you'll find some "Good Quality" Pics of the monstah"
    Posted 11 years ago by Taco Assassin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • E-yon is Ian Passmore, one of the wonderful world builders whose handsome mug you can see here: http://www.glitch.com/hire-a-genius/. As a person who built the world, he got to go everywhere, even places that never really existed. :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Little Poundcake Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I really wanted snaps as pictures on walls.
    Posted 11 years ago by Palindrome Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ohhh! I loved "Join the Club." So many talented people worked on Glitch. After looking through the devs' websites I came across a common link: a game called Ginko.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what happened to Ginko? Was it ever completed? It looks like it would be fun to play.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kridla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ginko as in this game ? http://vimeo.com/17365088
    Posted 11 years ago by Samerina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes!

Edited to add:
    I think I found it here: projects.myvfs.com/games/GD...
    Posted 11 years ago by Kridla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Jixel
    Would most of the world map have been covered? Could the world map have been made larger if required?
    Deffo. The World Map wasn't even a "world" map. It was a regional map; a section of a proposed world.
    Here's an outline of the WHOOOOOoOoOoOOLE world

There were lengthy discussions on changing the idea of the entire world a number of times as well. We toyed with a bunch of abstract-ier ideas including things like floating motes to conceptual stacks of paper which represented a more intangible world as opposed to a literal world with oceans and continents. There's a bunch I'll try to dig up later.
    Posted 11 years ago by Rook Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Link doesn't go anywhere for me. Is that the point?

And that map is, at least for me who spent way too much time worrying about whether I'd been to every place in the world, possibly the saddest thing I've seen yet.

--Me
    Posted 11 years ago by SchWM Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm with you, SchWM. I think that's the saddest part. At the rate they were unveiling lands, we could have had new lands every day for years and still had more to discover.
    Posted 11 years ago by railroadbaron Subscriber! | Permalink
  • HOLY SHITSICLES, KUKUBEE.
    However, that actually makes sense lol.
  • @SchWM you are correct. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Rook Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Rook you are evil.
  • There were paths past those mountains never found?  (Okay, made, but still.)  My explorery heart breaks.  
    Posted 11 years ago by Rathany Subscriber! | Permalink
  • that map sure tugged at the heartstrings a bit...
    Posted 11 years ago by The Docta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah, wow, amazing to see all those new lands we never knew might have existed. Definitely gives me a twinge of sadness (and curiosity).

Did you guys have any concrete ideas of what some of those far-flung regions might someday look like?

I love the idea of intangible parts of the world. That's always how I visualized our home streets -- almost like a constantly shifting net or set of platforms above the world. I always thought of returning to Ur from the home streets as going "back downworld."
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Coco Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That map. Oh Giants. It's bringing back my old daydreams of playing Glitch for years and years to come, watching the world grow... I just never knew how much growing there was to be done. Dead dreams are a sad thing. Perhaps even sadder are wasted ideas, like all the ones that would have been implemented, all the plans you had.
    Posted 11 years ago by Fernstream Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Whoa, sorry guys! Didn't mean to make a sad post!

@Miss Coco "Did you guys have any concrete ideas of what some of those far-flung regions might someday look like?"

Nope! We made it all up as we went along. So if it's any consolation, the entire world wasn't built that we had to throw away and you guys missed out on or anything! We were learning and growing at the same time with you guys.

"I love the idea of intangible parts of the world. That's always how I visualized our home streets -- almost like a constantly shifting net or set of platforms above the world. I always thought of returning to Ur from the home streets as going "back downworld."

This was an early concept sketch of a direction we were playing around with for the visualization of the map (Possibly even rendering it in 3D)
    World Map - Motes
    Where the core imagination was symbolized in the middle and each region was represented with a floating mote.
    Ideas were thrown around that the motes would float around the space independently, and depending on the time of day you may have been closer to other motes than others.
    So you wouldn't actually be on floating islands in the sky, but that's the way the imagination could have been conceptualized.
    That was one of a bunch of ideas that were throw around and thrown away.
  • Holy crap Kuku, That is awesome!
    Posted 11 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow, I feel so deprived =/.
    Posted 11 years ago by Hollyhawk Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Would it be fun if we made our own maps and showed them to eachother? I've been meaning to paint some made up planets or maps for a while...
    Posted 11 years ago by Hollyhawk Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Making our own maps might be useful for those of us playing Nationstates.net.
    Posted 11 years ago by Carl Projectorinski Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Kuku, that 'cubimal series 3' link is a 404.
    Posted 11 years ago by Avnas Subscriber! | Permalink
  • oh Kukubee, why are you doing this with us!?!?!
    This is all so incredible! :'D
    Posted 11 years ago by acreditando Subscriber! | Permalink
  • On the Whooooooooole worldmap, the biggest continent (on the right) looks like a dragon, wings and all, and an open mouth close to Ix etc.
    Would have been great to explore aaaaaalllll of those lands (sigh)...
    Posted 11 years ago by Silvery Subscriber! | Permalink
  • make it stop make it stop, oh Glitch come back :/
    Posted 11 years ago by Aemulus Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So amazing. And so sad.
    Posted 11 years ago by nekomaki Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Kukubee -- just because it makes me sad doesn't mean I didn't want to see it. It's like, at the funeral, finding this whole side to your loved one you never knew about before. Sure, you'd like to have found it sooner, but worse still would be to never know.

Please share this stuff with us.

--Me

PS, I edited out this other analogy (for wordiness), but it really wants back in: "It's like when you get to the end of a great book, and the (now-dead) author's been kind enough to include a sketch of some of the amazing things that might have come. Bittersweet that you'll never get to explore farther, but still better knowing than not knowing".
    Posted 11 years ago by SchWM Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am sorry that this never came to be and yet it gives me hope that maybe in the Future Tiny Speck will create a new and even better Glitch or maybe it's Grandchild.
    Posted 11 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I feel & hope the same, Brib Annie. :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Leïla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I dont even see any bowling alleys on the map, so im not impressed.  Ok maybe a little.

I liek bowling.
    Posted 11 years ago by ☣ elf ☣ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Kukubee: That reminds me a little of early earth! Pangeaaaa...
    Posted 11 years ago by OMG BACON!! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh... that is beautiful. Thank you for sharing, Kukubee!
    Posted 11 years ago by SeerQueen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow Kukubee, the whooooOoOooOooOle world map is really something. I always wondered if the world map would expand outside of what we could see in game, like a reverse fractal. Will this be in the artbook?
    Posted 11 years ago by DOOMy Nutpuncher Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @DOOMy
    Good idea! I found a few alternate world concept images around while looking at my old uploads that I should include somewhere in the book.

Going through a bunch of old internal uploads (lol internal upload), I came across a number of other ideas that never made it into the game for one reason or another too.
    Here's one that I can't quite put in the book, so I'll toss it in this thread. It was a proposed feature that I was particularly excited about seeing to completion but we ran out of time.

Player-made Butler Quests
    Don't need to read through the whole thing, but the basic idea was to take our internal quest building system, build a UI, and face it to players. And let you guys create your own quests that your butler can offer to passer-bys on your street.

Maybe my favourite things about working for Tiny Speck was the freedom and ownership we were all encouraged to take while working on our individual branches of Glitch. I believe almost everyone (maybe even everyone???) proposed at least one idea that eventually made it into the game.
    I don't want to post other peoples ideas without their permission, so hopefully others will see this thread and post some of their ideas too! There were some incredible ones that make me real sad we couldn't do.
  • *Love* the idea of player-created butler-managed quests! Martha My Dear would have been so excited to be in charge of a quest, I just know it.  :-)
    Posted 11 years ago by Eleanor Rigby Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Marvelous. Absolutely marvelous! Sigh.
    Posted 11 years ago by Mollie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks a ton for sharing!
    Posted 11 years ago by Tetro Subscriber! | Permalink
Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6