Topic

It has been one Ur year since the announcement. Where were you?

I don't know exactly what day it was in Ur when the announcement went up, but when I saw it, it was the first day of Doom, year 25. It is now the second of Doom, year 26. Where were you when you found out about Glitch closing?

I was just waking up, checking my email in bed, when I saw one from Paypal saying that TS had canceled my automatic payments. Wondering what had happened, and fearing that I had been banned, I rushed to check the site...

Posted 11 years ago by Kestin Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I was at my computer. 
    Posted 11 years ago by OMG BACON!! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If i remember right, i think i was visiting Uutiif for the first time. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Leïla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My friend texted me at 7 in the morning and said that it was closing but I was on vacation so all I had was a laptop.
    Posted 11 years ago by Dr.CookieEater Subscriber! | Permalink
  • On my way home with the train from Uni and it was a sunny day I think everything that day went extremely well but then I read Facebook about Glitch closing, which kinda ruined the complete day and in the end the rest of the year.
    Posted 11 years ago by Nutty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It was my birthday :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Same. :( 
    Posted 11 years ago by Rook Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was in-game, gardening at my house, avoiding everyone because of something that happened the day before. It also made me sad because it was my Glitches birthday on the 2nd of Doom and that would be the last birthday in Ur she'd ever have. :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Ayasta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was in-game at home feeding piggies and petting trees *sniffle*,  and when I went out to Groddle Forest Junction everyone was talking about  it.  It must have just happened then. Everyone was very subdued; hugging and talking quietly. No one was sure exactly what had happened, or what it would mean.  I went to the Forum and found out the terrible truth. 
    Glitch closed the day before my 70th birthday. :(
    Posted 11 years ago by bludwaggie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We had just arrived home from a last ditch effort to fix my brand new iPhone. It had worked and I was so thrilled. I sat down at my computer, opened up Glitch (like I always did) and saw the message. I was totally calm at first, then it hit me, and I started tearing up. Wonderful to craptastic day in 2.0 seconds.
    Posted 11 years ago by Wynella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was at work, it was horrible - I was trying to keep my composure, but I wound up having to shut my office door and cry for a bit.
    Posted 11 years ago by Zoethor2 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I saw it when I got home from work (when I was logging in to renew my subscription, actually!) and I cried. A lot. And then, I cried some more. It was a really weird feeling. My son was upset- both because I was upset and because "the fat hobbit piggies will go away!" (we're cut of the same cloth, he and I).
     I still find myself coming back to log in and when I close my eyes I can SEE my street, and my tower, and my house. It's like a hole in my life that's just not filled in yet. I'm not sure I want it to be, honestly. Because that will mean that it's gone for good. I'm not ready for that.
    Posted 11 years ago by TransplantedEntwife Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had just finished all the stuff I had to do, and sat down for a relaxing Glitch session. Then I saw it. I didn't really realize what was happening until 3 days before the end. Then I cried.
    Posted 11 years ago by SeerQueen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was on vacation at Walt Disney World and happened to check Twitter on my phone when I saw the closing announcement an hour after it was posted. Ironic to find out about the closing of my online happy place when I was at my real world happy place :( It brought back sad memories about the closing of the first MMO I ever played - Disney's Virtual Magic Kingdom (VMK).
    Posted 11 years ago by Live Your Dreams Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd just finished the final paper for grad school and was looking forward to kicking back during my vacation with a bit of glitchy grinding. The first thing I noticed was that TS had cancelled my sub, and when I checked the Glitch homepage I was gutted to read that it was closing. The prospect of never being able to play again didn't fully hit me until 4 hours before the servers went down. I cried for days. Even now, I miss the game.
    Posted 11 years ago by DOOMy Nutpuncher Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was coming down with stomach flu -- checked email, saw the refund notices, got puzzled and when I could finally face sitting up to use the computer, aaaaargh. I cried.
    Posted 11 years ago by GloriaMundi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was opening up glitch and my mouth dropped open when I read the announcement. Then I quickly called my brother so I could tell him the bad news.
    Posted 11 years ago by Keeda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It was one of the last days of Zilloween - I'd spent the morning littering Cebarkul with carved pumpkins from a full-inventory bug we'd discovered, it was so much fun!

Then I went for a walk, and when I came back... there was the "Glitch 2009-2012" picture.  It had only been a few hours that I'd been gone.  I remember feeling grateful that I'd spent the morning playing with pumpkins in blissful ignorance.
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Portinari Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It was Zilloween and I was in Cebakul giving out candies, someone said "Glitch is closing". I responded "Lol no it's not" and then the URL was posted into Global :c
    Posted 11 years ago by Aemulus Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was on Facebook and saw I had been invited to a group called "Ur - what remains" and my heart sank. My first thought was first Faunasphere now Glitch? but I didn't believe it until I went to Glitch and saw the announcement. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Momo McGlitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was in the car on my way home and my mom told me. I had to stay in the car for a while just to cry and then I composed myself.
    Posted 11 years ago by Cosmic Carrie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had just been to a party that Little Poundcake threw, and there were loads of potions everywhere. I happened to log out for a bit and when I refreshed the home page, I saw the announcement. I was completely devastated. :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Ladyceres Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was "summoned" to uutiif. It was my first time there (I think it had just opened recently).
    It was so eerie and "spacey". Someone said they liked the music "but why is it so sad?"
    There were lots of Glitchen there and everyone was chatting & flying about - bestowing rk and tossing "Hi's". Then, in the space of maybe 20 seconds, the activity slowed & then stopped. The chat was full of the news and cries of "Noooo!!!". I think it was just after 5 o'clock on 14-November. We were gobsmacked. The heartbreak came later.
    Posted 11 years ago by Patricia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Since it was almost Thanksgiving break for me, I decided to treat myself to playing some Glitch, which I hadn't done for a long while due to the busy college semester. I had been setting up the garden and the herd in my front and back yards as well as planning for the places I'd visit and the skills I wanted to learn in the near future. I believe that I randomly checked twitter and found a tweet from @playglitch mentioning sadness and then followed the link to the closure announcement. It's Widdershins 3 right now. My Glitch's birthday was Widdershins 6 according to my Butler. Because I lived through a few of the alpha and beta restarts, I don't know if that is my character's original birthday, launch birthday or what-have-you, but I'm sad to know I won't be able to celebrate it in Ur.
    Posted 11 years ago by Vexia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had just come home from choir rehearsal (I'm the director). My husband was out of town and our daughter was still at work. I sat on the couch and cried for about 4 hours... in game I think I stood in my house, while repeating over and over in Live Help "Yes, it really is closing. *passes tissues* We're all devastated." Some time between 1 and 2 AM I finally was exhausted enough to get some sleep. 
    I felt like my whole family was dying.

I still wake up crying. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Zany Serendipity Subscriber! | Permalink
  • *gives everyone an emo-bear hug*

I was doing my wind-down for going to sleep ritual, which often involved going to Glitch and doing a bit of gardening or qq collecting. So it was the middle of the night and everyone else I knew was asleep, and I opened the site and there I saw it. I cried and cried, and I couldn't play Glitch for nearly a week before I got my crying done and just started enjoying the last of my time in Ur.
    Posted 11 years ago by Faranae Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was in-game, jumping around either Balzare or Roobrik on my way to any street with an egg tree so I could season up some butterfly eggs. When Humbaba popped up I was really confused - I was always a Humbaban and couldn't understand what she was so sorry about. Then I looked at the main site to see if it was a feat or something and my heart just broke. I remember Cebarkul that night was the bleakest I had ever seen it.
    Posted 11 years ago by Abigail Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Such soulful stories.   I was browsing another forum where the topic of Glitch was being discussed.    It took me a few minutes to realize that the game was shutting down because they were mostly talking around the subject and not saying anything specific about it closing.   

I had been half expecting such an announcement since the failed membership drive feat but it still came as a cold shock.   
    Posted 11 years ago by Treesa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think I had just gotten home from school and was checking email. I saw that I had an email from Glitch and, not reading the subject line, figured it was just a notice that someone had added me as a friend. I didn't know what to think when I actually read it. I started to cry a bit and then logged in to play since my mind wasn't in a place where working on homework was going to be possible. I think I ended up playing for two hours trying to figure out how I was going to visit all the regions I still had to before the close. In the end, I never did get to visit all the regions. :'(
    Posted 11 years ago by Kaepora Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was in Global Chat, and suddenly the staff started just saying :( over and over. They were very reluctant to say what was wrong, and everyone was crushed, all the lurkers suddenly in the uproar.
    Posted 11 years ago by Seeen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd barely been able to check on my piggies, since I traveling overseas with a funky netbook that hates games, so when that email hit with the notice, I was just floored! Once I got home to regular computer, I played and played and played... sigh.
    Posted 11 years ago by katyroo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was on my way to a chemistry exam.
    Posted 11 years ago by aswal Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was playing early in the morning before my kids were up - I was pootling around Groddle Heights and a friend told me over chat. I was crushed. I still miss it so badly. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Schiehallion23 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The Glitch world ended on my birthday. Really scared now. Will the real world end on my next?
    Posted 11 years ago by Klikini Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was at my best friend's 21st birthday party. \:
    Posted 11 years ago by Sea Oats Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was double-checking some things for the review I was working on, so I was logged on and got the news from a Giant. Did everybody who was logged on get the news from Humbaba? I can't remember if I saw Humbaba or Grendaline.
    Posted 11 years ago by Beyond the Pale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was on my phone, checking Glitch before I planned on going to sleep. I saw everyones' updates and was terrified... Once I saw the announcement I just lay there and cried for an hour or so.
    Posted 11 years ago by Fernstream Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was learning how to use Windows 8 on the shiny new i7 laptop that I bought just the day before, to hopefully make my Glitch play less laggy. Logged onto Glitch and was gobsmacked! High to low in 10 seconds.....
    Posted 11 years ago by Teena Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had just discovered Uutiff about 30 minutes before and was Glitch-training around with what seemed to be hundreds of Glitchen when the announcement came :( the atmosphere went from party to wake - no one could quite believe it was true.
    Posted 11 years ago by tuqui Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had logged in for the day and was tending my herbs when someone posted about it in Global. I couldn't believe it.
    Posted 11 years ago by Avnas Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I saw it on Halloween, actually... sitting at home and I decided to play Glitch. I opened up the page and saw the announcement, told my friend (who was also there) and she didn't seem to care very much, and went on talking about UNDERWEAR of all things. I don't think I talked to her for a few days...
    Posted 11 years ago by Kayaka Violin Subscriber! | Permalink