Topic

Glitchy Conditioning - Ringtones and Alerts

Having played a game like Glitch for so many hours over so long a time, I noticed I had become conditioned (Pavlovian style) to certain sounds in the game. Didn't you feel it too? That jolt of alertness and excitement when you heard the Rube Song? Or from the Qurazy Quoin alert when you loaded a street? Weren't the meditation songs nice and soothing, and for some inexplicable reason associated with calm blue waves?

I decided to take advantage of this highly conditioned sound -> emotion link in my everyday life by using the Glitch soundtrack on my phone. My morning alarm is the loading music, evoking a feeling of beginning and anticipation. My "you really need to get out of bed now" alarm is the Rube song, prompting a "where is he?! must find before he disappears!" startle response. My text alert is the Qurazy Quoin sound because it's a quick "pay attention to me!" And my "go to bed" reminder alarm is one of the meditation soundtracks, reminding me to calm down and remove my hands from the keyboard. Of course, my regular ringtone doesn't fit this theme at all... I just always really liked the Tincturing sound.

And so, Glitch (and my crazy conditioned responses to it) lives on in my daily life. Cheers!

Posted 11 years ago by Jenllip Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I tried to make my ringtones Glitch stuff, but.....the files won't appear through my phone's menu. Do they have to be a special format to be a ringtone, or is my phone just being a jerk?
    Posted 11 years ago by Biohazard Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What you need to do depends entirely on your phone, Biohazard - whatcha got?
    Posted 11 years ago by Spong Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A flip phone. Samsung somethingorother.
  • You'll have to be more specific I think... Samsung makes *every* sort of phone.
    (Also, I've no idea what most of them need myself, but google up "how to make ringtones for samsung [model]" should help out)
  • Well I just wanted to know if generally speaking they have to be in a specific format.

It's a flip phone, meaning non-smart. I figured that would be enough information, since I know how to find files I just wanted to know if ringtones were a certain filetype.

I did a search and every site listed (only one page worth exist) is a scam or completely unrelated. Or apps to download, which don't even work on my phone so clearly they are more scams, saying they're for my model of phone.

Sigh. Internet. Nobody buys normal phones any more, so there's no support for them and no web info other than a few reviews.
  • You arent alone biohazard. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note Stupid Stupid STUPID Smart Phone. When I downloaded the butterfly 'La!' as a notification for text messages, somehow *grrr. shakes STUPID phone vigorously* it attached itself to a nekkid photo I took for my bf while I was away for 3 months last summer. So now when I get a text I also get 'La!' followed by BOOBIES!!! I cant...get...this thing...off my phone *throws across room* GAH!!!!
    Posted 11 years ago by Dagnabbit Rabbit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Brilliant. I love this idea! :) Very clever, Jenllip!
    Posted 11 years ago by Wynella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Okay THAT is hilarious!

Oh and now Samsung support is telling me it's "not possible", even though my menu from "change sound profile" has "on card" as an option, they're like "I'm sorry it is not possible you must use default tones", and not even acknowledging that the phone itself says that is not true, and now they're just giving me the silent treatment and not responding.
    BLURGHPHONES

This is also a phone with entirely ONE STAR reviews, which nobody at Fido bothered to tell us about when we were buying it. It turns itself off randomly, despite us choosing a flip phone so that it couldn't do anything by accident while closed! But it does. Somehow.
    The alarms occasionally just choose not to go off. It hangs up on people on a whim, sometimes because it turned off mid-call and sometimes just for the heck of it. Once, it just decided it could not receive calls or text messages, only initiate them. Clearly, this line of phones is possessed.
  • (trying not to be distracted by boobies)

Did you try the m4r files on the Downloads page, Bio? They're the right thing for most phones, others use mp3, others aac, others can only use ones created by their own software and uploaded that way. The best can snip bits out of mp3's and use them directly...
  • Erm....I'm not sure.
    No I probably did mp3s. Let me try. My hopes are low, though, since the agent was so pessimistic!

Edit: Error! Unsupported Filetype!. Looks like I'm just screwed.
  • My morning alarm is also the Rube song!
    Posted 11 years ago by aliquot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My ringtone is the Rube song because my immediate reaction is to drop everything I'm doing and yell "Where is that bastard?" (The only exception is that I've set the Unsolved Mysteries theme to play whenever my mother calls because I'm filled with such a deep sense of dread already -- this just heightens the atmosphere.)

Also, my text sound is the New Discovery clip -- because I'm very excited to get text messages -- and for emails, my phone sings "La!".
    Posted 11 years ago by girlthulhu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Awhile back I got the Rube song as my ringtone. I couldn't get others to work, but that might have been a size issue. I should try again. Anyway, here's that old thread, which you might find helpful. Plenty of people are still buying feature phones, but companies are dropping decent treatment of those customers in good part to make people convert to the more expensive smart phones, which I'm sure won't go down in price until the inevitable genius phones.

www.glitch.com/forum/genera...
    Posted 11 years ago by Faranae Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's not even the phones that bother me, it's that they insist they be hooked up to data plans. I'm a homebody, what do I need internet on my phone for if all I go to is the grocery store?

Well, actually it's both the data plan and the thought of a shattered screen that bother me ;)
  • Sadly, my phone is old enough to require midi files for tones (that's likely to be your problem too, Biohazard), and although it's relatively easy to convert midi to mp3, it's darned near impossible for the average user to do the reverse.

I am strongly considering changing my computer's startup tone to the Hi sound, though.
    Posted 11 years ago by BumblingNewbie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If that's a symptom of old manufacturing/outfiting protocols, then probably not. My phone is less than a year old.

They (phone maker people) told me it's a "software" issue, that this phone model does not have that as an option because they just chose not to let people use custom tones.
    It's not even a speaker issue, like some of the really older ones, because I can play music files through the speaker! They just don't want users to have the option of customizing their ringer.

It let me set my alarm as a custom file manually (through the actual file menu), but that's the only option I can choose.
  • I have The Rube Song as my ringtone, too. Every time my phone rings, I get a little excited. My family is probably getting tired of me saying, "Oh boy! The Rube is here to trade with me! I hope I get a doll!"
    Posted 11 years ago by Chazerei Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Probably the easiest, cheapest way to convert mp3 to midi is Audacity.
    Posted 11 years ago by Faranae Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I can customize my ringtone and message alerts, but apparently not my alarms, which is a little frustrating... but I do have the Qurazy Quoin sound for texts, and the new quest alert for voicemails. (I'm leaving my ringer as the Muppet Show instrumental theme, because Muppets.)
    Posted 11 years ago by Spaghetti Thompson Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am completely technologically ignorant. Might someone tell me where I can download those magnificent sounds?

ETA: Oh! I see them! Downloads page.
    Posted 11 years ago by SeerQueen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Before I switched to android phones I used to create my own ringtones with Audacity like mentioned above. To get it on my phone I would go to my providers website (Verizon) and send myself a "picture" message with the newly created ringtone attached and the phone would just think it was a Premium message (those wonderful messages where you get a "free" song or joke with just a $20 subscription) and the phone would download it as a ringtone. Naturally you're just billed, if at all, for a regular media/picture message.

But now I'm a little envious of Dagnabbit's alert ;-)
    Posted 11 years ago by Mithax Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My text tone is the butterfly 'LA!' :D  I may just not pay very good attention, but is there a place where we can find all these sounds now?
    Posted 11 years ago by Sea Oats Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have a Dum Dum model of a phone too...theres no reason for me to have a smartphone, i really dont use the phone a ton anyway, and i  detest texting so...meh....i did save all the sounds though.....so maybe, eventually i can use them. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink