Topic

Staff Topic

Official Encyclopedia Asset Licensing thread

Just now, we've added a section to most item pages in the Encyclopedia with some additional assets.  Depending on the item, there are spritesheets, animated gifs and static images in .png format. We are making these available under a "Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported" license which means you can use them in your own projects.

You can read a bit more about this (and some other things, like the availability of end of the world notes) in this new blog post, A Post-Game Update from Tiny Speck. And, if you have questions or comments, this is the thread!

(p.s. We've also made an addition to your individual "archive" pages so that the complete set of spritesheets for each of your saved avatar customizations are available, instead of just the static png files)

Posted 11 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

Previous 1 2 3
  • This is marvellous!
    Posted 11 years ago by dopiaza Subscriber! | Permalink
  • thanks Stoot and hope youre keeping well bud x
    Posted 11 years ago by Loupin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is awesome! Thank you so much!

EDIT: I've just been browsing through it all, and, WOW! And putting it under Creative Commons and everything...you guys really went above and beyond the call of duty here. Thank you!
    Posted 11 years ago by Autolycus Subscriber! | Permalink
  • *squee* Thank you so much!!!
    Posted 11 years ago by Drakani Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is so amazing! Thanks!
    Posted 11 years ago by Touya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like this! (even  though looking at the notes is sooo sad)
    Posted 11 years ago by PANsy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for sharing all of this with us. I'm moved to tears (again).
    Posted 11 years ago by Zany Serendipity Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Any chance of finally seeing that star-shaped admin widget in the encyclopedia (either that, or it's already there and I was too stupid to find it)?
    It really exists... I'm not crazy! *twitch*
    Posted 11 years ago by Jus​tin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you so much. You really have gone above and beyond my expectations with all you're doing. I'm still in mourning for the game itself, but things like this do help. :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Ladyceres Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Could you also add the greeter badge in there?
    Posted 11 years ago by koolaroo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You guys are STILL taking such good care of us! Thank you, especially for the adorable little piggy wiggle gif!
    Posted 11 years ago by Flowerry Pott Subscriber! | Permalink
  • OOoh, may we please have the assets for the individual vendors? Like the firebog vendor, the uralia vendor, etc? :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Drakani Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This brought me to tears.  May Glitch live on. <3  I hope you guys are doing well.
    Posted 11 years ago by Crateria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • thank you so much! :)
    Posted 11 years ago by appledash Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Drakani: We have the assets generated for the vendors but we don't have an easy way to smoosh them into the encyclopedia right now. It's on my list of things to do.

Justin and koolaroo: I will check these out and see what I can do.

[edited to add] The sloth and the branch it hangs from are all part of a single asset, which also contains a very unattractive green blob labeled "HIDE ME" so that we'd remember to put some bushy foliage over it. It's not a great asset for reuse, so we didn't go to the effort of including it.
    Posted 11 years ago by Little Poundcake Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is so nice of you! Hooray!
    Posted 11 years ago by Pixel Dirigible Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh wow! Thank you so much, TS and Stoot. It's overwhelming, really.. I can't thank you enough :,)
    Posted 11 years ago by Jezebel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • would it be possible to give us the Bureaucrat playing the video game?
    Posted 11 years ago by Toxic Moonie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Simply incredible.  Thank you, TS!
    Posted 11 years ago by Carl Projectorinski Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ouch hot stuff ^^
    Thanks for all that, never thought it'll be arranged in such a clean way, must have been a lot of work!
    (Man that's one lot of piggies o_o)

So what is the license exactly, CC BY-NC 3.0 as stated here, or CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 as stated everywhere else?
    What are the odds we'll see the landscape assets someday? (It doesn't have to be a page for each item, you could just drop everything randomly in a zip or global directory ^^)
    It's nice to have the trees though, those had some really complex swfs
    Maybe it would have been better as well for direct use in games with power of two sheet sizes...
    Btw the pet rock link is off, and still no sign of his highness the Rook

Nice to see some "official" easy access out of the API to the player sprite sheets as well :]
    And concerning the API, you don't mention it in the areas to be closed next spring, does it mean it will stay active just like the encyclopedia?
    Posted 11 years ago by Lemo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for the continued generosity!!

Are any of the official writers working on an Ur storybook? That story of the history of Ur, with the stories of all the creatures as well as our timeline, the time of Alpha, era of Beta, the Great Ascension, etc. Cuz that's an Indiegogo Feat waiting to happen...
    Posted 11 years ago by Dagnabbit Rabbit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is fantastic! 

Could unnnn be added to the Encyclopedia please?  There were a lot of great notes left there that would be fun to see again.

and DR, I've been hoping to see a lot of the story in the art book, but yeah, I'd gogo that indie!
    Posted 11 years ago by katlazam Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh wow this is.... *loss at words here* ... GREAT!
    Thank you TS!
    Posted 11 years ago by Nutty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Heli-kitty gifs!! Wiggling piggies, cubis, crabs... Wow. This made my day! Thank you so much guys, you're really spoiling us! Love you all!
    Posted 11 years ago by Andobas Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow. Tiny Speck really is a model company in so many ways.
    Posted 11 years ago by Polly Paperclip | Permalink
  • The Notes must be from the Last Day bcuz I know Unnu Slight's Wish Dragon was a memorial shrine of Wishes in the Leading Up To The End Days.
    Posted 11 years ago by Dagnabbit Rabbit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • curious... is there a reason the heli kitty has chicken dialogue?  curious!!
    Posted 11 years ago by katlazam Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for all of this guys, Glitch will live on!
    Posted 11 years ago by DOOMy Nutpuncher Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Answers to your questions!

Bureaucrat playing Farmville: Probably not. I don't even know how to go about finding moving background things like that.

Pet Rock: Are you referring to his enormous size + tiny book on the encyclopedia page, or is there something else broken that I'm not seeing?

License: CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 is correct. I'll fix the text in this post, thanks!

Landscapes: Potentially! If so, not all of them, just a representative subset of the really good stuff.

The Rook: He operates more like an overlay (think random kindness rainbow and emo bear kiss) than an item. We haven't done anything with overlays yet! We already had this nice encyclopedia all set up with items, you see, and we have nothing similar from which to start for overlays.

Heli Kitty's chicken dialogue: We didn't have time to create a separate, proper kitty (remember, heli kitty was released after we announced the game would close), so we just made a copy of the chicken and changed its graphics. I noticed that the dialogue was in there this morning but didn't feel like holding up the works just to fix that bug.

Heli Kitty bonus: There were three different versions of the heli kitty. You can see all three of them in the sprite sheet assets! The one we put in the game was #3.

unnnnn: Jethimadh Tower is not straightforward to put into the encyclopedia. unnnnn will appear once I figure out how to make the tower available!
  • Wow, thanks again TS!
    Posted 11 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • LP would it be possible to have a full firefly jar animation with the lid closed please?
    Posted 11 years ago by Faereluth Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh my, a wiggling butt piggie that I can take with me wherever I go in the future. Thank you from the bottom of my pink little heart.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kookaburra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you all for all the giving you've done thus far. I nearly cried on my bus ride home when I saw the blog post. I've been perusing the encyclopaedia this evening as a result.

I have one request that I'm thinking is probably not simple, but it would hurt more not to ask.

Think we could trouble you all to add the in-game recipes for food items that are posted as well?

The spice rubs I'm making are awesome and all, but if we could match them up to things that we've made in game, I think some of us would cry tears of happiness.
    Posted 11 years ago by Xial Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Y'all are so amazing! Thank you. Thank you.
    Posted 11 years ago by Grizelda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • omg this is freakin awsome ! thanks glitch !
    Posted 11 years ago by rook knight =] Subscriber! | Permalink
  • thanks a lot for allowing our little greedy glitchy hands to take bits of ur with us :3

agree with lemo, having all the assets in a single place would make things easier (unless having to go page after page is the only price we're asked to)
    Posted 11 years ago by Zean Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Looking into bundling it up for you guys now...
  • This is too good to be true.  YOU guys are too good to be true.  We don't deserve you.  LOVES.
    Posted 11 years ago by Pale Queen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Seriously. What Pale Queen said. Seriously.
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Coco Subscriber! | Permalink
  • THANK YOU LP, STOOT, ET AL! WE LOVE YOU! (Caps Lock FTW)
    Posted 11 years ago by Wynella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Little Poundcake: The Pet Rock link points to: http://www.glitch.com/items/other// HTH
    Posted 11 years ago by Wynella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • OMG!! TS is getting even awesomer!  I can't believe you're doing all of this for us.  TY TY TY!!
    Posted 11 years ago by Marla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Crap! I'm overloaded with the MWM stuff. I'll try to snag these items as I'm able and see what I can do. I never got much response from Glitchen on putting a together. Maybe I can now.
    Posted 11 years ago by Fokian Fool Subscriber! | Permalink
  • OMG! Thank you, TS, Stoot, Little Poundcake ... everyone!! Thank you!
    Posted 11 years ago by Kridla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is amazing.
    Posted 11 years ago by Spaghetti Thompson Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Not sure if this is potentially asking too much, but is there a way to get sprite sheets for our butlers? Or at the very least something like what we had for all our avatars before this recent update?
    Posted 11 years ago by Kristen Marie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm with KM on that.

Also, I wanted to ask if it was possible for us to remix the music and make our own remixes (similar to what they do on overclock.com) or are we not allowed to? I was thinking it'd be more for other's pleasure and not to sell or anything...
    Posted 11 years ago by Ayasta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am so freaking ecstatic to be able to look at the Helikitty gifs forever. *____*
    Posted 11 years ago by Asperity Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A request for the natural resources page: Can barnacle mounds, jellisac mounds, and ice nubbins be added (or maybe they're part of the background so that wouldn't work)? 

Or, maybe just the info text (when they're clicked), because I have a feeling they're different from what's on the mortar barnacle or clump of jellisac page.

Oh, and @Xial: The recipes are all on the wiki. For example, for the Knife and Board, all the newer recipes such as rubs are in the table. Or you can look here for the recipes. It would be nice to have them in the encyclopedia too, of course.
    Posted 11 years ago by Scarf Subscriber! | Permalink
  • *sniffle*
    TINY SPECK, I LOVE YOU ALL SO SO SO MUCH!
    *bursts into happy/sad tears*
    Posted 11 years ago by BumblingNewbie Subscriber! | Permalink
Previous 1 2 3