Topic

3D Glitchy Things

Hey, remaining Glitches!

So, just wondering - do any of you have experience in making 3D models? 

I'm currently waiting in anticipation for my 3d printer to arrive, and the thought just crossed my mind - how cool would it be to have little real life Glitchy things on my desk (and yours, via Etsy perhaps?)... but I have no experience in creating 3D models (the ones you send to the printer).

And whilst I'm sure the Cubimals shouldn't be too hard to model, how about the Shrine, or Spinning Wheel or Emblems? If anyone fancies that challenge - or knows anyone that could-, please post here with results!

Posted 11 years ago by Hburger Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• You're getting a 3-D printer? asfdfdegj that's so cool.

Anyways, I have no experience with this, but it would we so cool if we could get 3-D glitchen or something.
    Posted 11 years ago by SeerQueen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ooh, cool! Can't wait to see what you make with it :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Varaeth Subscriber! | Permalink
  • if you get it going I would love to have a 3D version of my avatar. My grandson created a robot that Robot Nation printed and sent him. It was totally fabulous.
    Posted 11 years ago by Leelah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have not done any 3D modeling but have salivated over 3D printers.  I love the idea but have no use for it - Lol!  I would think that to get a 3D model of an avatar you would need more than just the flat image so maybe that will not be possible to print or to print well.  I think you will have fun with your printer though and I hope I might be able to see some of the things you make before the Forums become a memory.
    Posted 11 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm currently waiting in anticipation for my 3d printer to arrive

Um, can I just say I'm jealous!
    Posted 11 years ago by dopiaza Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I started on a shrine model

link
    Posted 11 years ago by drakodood Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have some decent experience with solidworks, which is what the 3D printer at my school prints off of.  I've definitely thought about making fun-shaped items but solidworks isn't as easy as art 3D software, unfortunately.  What does everyone else use to make printable models?
    Posted 11 years ago by Dartha Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Apparently drakodood uses Maya ;)
    Posted 11 years ago by Lemo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I also use Blender... But I mainly learned 3d modelling in Maya.
    Posted 11 years ago by drakodood Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow, great looking start, drakodood! I've had a go at trying to use several CAD programmes over the past few days... they're either too complicated (AutoCAD) or too limited (Sketchup)! Hmph. Even the Cubimal is harder than it looks.
  • This 3-D printing thing is just so amazingly late to the game. How awesome would it have been to have had this last year.

* sads*

However, super cool that you should find an opportunity to play with one.
    Posted 11 years ago by Thursday Soleil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Drakodood, I don't suppose you could post the file you screenshotted so I could play around with it? :3
  • I do the whole 3d thing professionally -- I usually use 3ds max, myself.  (I'll note, though, that what I have for personal use is an educational license, so no commercial stuff from me right now.  I could re-learn Blender without much trouble if you want stuff you can sell though. =) )  I've also even got a few things already done in vector format (Tii is one), and I could convert that to 3d pretty quickly.  For 3D sculpting, I can use Mudbox and Zbrush equally well, but again, I'm on an edu license for Mudbox and don't have Zbrush at all (which is very very sad).

And yes, I agree that most 3d programs are too complicated for first-time users, both CAD and otherwise.  Sketchup can be pretty powerful, but I've always thought it's too much effort for the payoff there.

Which file format is best/preferred for the 3d printer you're getting? And Dartha, what can Solidworks import?  (To answer the question about programs used: In addition to the software I mentioned above, one can also use something like Mathematica to generate some amazing geometric stuff.  Sage is free and open-source, uses Python as a base, and is generally awesome.) 

EDIT: Oh, I can also do limited commercial work with the 3D stuff Photoshop and Illustrator have built-in, it's just that they're a pain and not very good so I always forget about them.
    Posted 11 years ago by Magic Monkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • .STL is the file format 3d printers use, MM.
  • There was that funky 3d joke I did sometime ago
    I doubt 3d printing would be the best way to make them tho :p
    Posted 11 years ago by Lemo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Still, would be fun to try it out! Anyone got any files to share? :)
  • www.sculpteo.com/ *:)
    Posted 11 years ago by Smallchalet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This would be amazing, especially if there were cubimals that WORKED. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Future Shock Subscriber! | Permalink