Topic

The Chebarkul meteor

I see little things every day that remind me of Ur.  And big things.  

They're likely to name the Russian meteor after the lake it fell in - Lake Chebarkul.  I hope they drop the 'H.'  Like Glitch, it flared brightly, caught the attention of many, and then disappeared, leaving us in wonder at its presence - and absence.

Posted 11 years ago by Addlepated Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I agree!  Great example.  I had not realized it fell into Chebarkul.  Now I am having visions of what would have happed if it had fallen on the Log in Cebarkul - OMG!!
    Posted 11 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It was in the region of....wait for it...the southern Urals.
    Posted 11 years ago by Griselda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • :O :O :O :O :O
    See, this is why I still check in every day...otherwise I'd miss great stuff like this. Awesome catch, Addle and Gris!
    Posted 11 years ago by KitchWitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Whoa.
    Posted 11 years ago by SeerQueen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm at work right now, updating our database with a new list of directors of open schools in India, and one of the schools is in a city called Shimla!  Which, as it turns out, happens to be the capital of Himachal Pradesh.

First it made me happy because I thought of Glitch, and then it made me sad because I thought of Glitch... sigh :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Portinari Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Glitch is... er... was such an amazing game that humans are naming landmarks after it! ;) First lakes & cities... next, the world!
    Posted 11 years ago by Wynella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Like Glitch, it flared brightly, caught the attention of many, and then disappeared, leaving us in wonder at its presence - and absence."

Beautifully said.:)
    Posted 11 years ago by Drakani Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ^^ I'm sure everybody knows about this one, but Alakol is a lake located in the Almaty and Shyghyz provinces, east central Kazakhstan.
    Posted 11 years ago by S-Wahnsinn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • glad you saw this too!  I thought "I had no idea Cebarkul had a lake"

I did not know that, S-Wahnsinn!!
    Posted 11 years ago by Minkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • one of the schools is in a city called Shimla

London-based Glitch ought to check out this place

And back when I had more spare time to work on my Glitch Cookbook site, I had something like this on the list of things to make and post about. Never did get around to it. Still must try making it one day though.
    Posted 11 years ago by dopiaza Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Alakol... Woah, I never knew it was a lake in Kazakhstan... Okay the "kol" probably is the equivalent of Turkish word for lake, "göl", in Kazakh language. Well now It feels like I made a great discovery, haha, sorry for my rambling, can't help it sometimes. :P
    Posted 11 years ago by Luna Neko Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That must have been what shut down glitch! A meteor landing in Cebarkul.
    Posted 11 years ago by OMG BACON!! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • OH NO! Why, Meteor... WHY! U close my glitch?
    Posted 11 years ago by Keeda Subscriber! | Permalink