Topic

Play: Planks Vs Zomblitch

Times are harsh as creatures from the dark rise from the dead servers of Glitch...
Luckily a group of cubimals have survived to help you on your quest.
Get your planks ready and fight the invaders!

Play Planks Vs Zomblitch

This game is a shameless clone of the stunning Plants Vs Zombies by Popcap, in a Gltichy way.
After Game of Orbs and Glitch Craft, I wanted something different, so this is no platforming, in a top-down view never seen in Glitch! And all the imagination points you collect are still connected so you can use them to build stuff in Glitch Craft. Also you should be able to play it on a tablet (with screen resolutions above 720p) because there's no complex middle clicking like in Craft, and it's especially touch enabled.
(I don't have any tablet to work on, but hey you can donate if you like so I may buy one :p)
Here is a gameplay screenshot

How to play:
- everything coming from the right is bad, fight them! even butlers, they're evil zombies!
- coming from the top are the qurazy quoins, get them to have points for cubis and items
- at the top-left is your plank container, pick one and go splanking around
- bottom line is your inventory, items will appear out of the grey when they're available
- the little X icon lets you remove anything you don't want anymore on your lawn
See the Gameplay sheet for more details about the items

Shortcuts:
- numbers 1 to 9 for each of the item slots
- number 0 for the planks
- use the arrow keys to change the time speed and down to reset it
- press space to pause the game (or the green arrow at the bottom)

Note: Again this is brand new tech HTML5, please try in different browsers if you can
You will need websockets support for the leaderboard - check here
And webgl support for some color effects - check here

Play as guest here

Posted 11 years ago by Lemo Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Just tried it out...have to say it: LOBE!!!
    Posted 11 years ago by Dahlia DreadNaught Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Love it!
    Posted 11 years ago by IUPmike Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Tried it out on Firefox. Some problems I had with it: it ramps up far too quickly. Even with planks, the zombies came far faster than I could possibly get enough cubis to handle, whatever strategy I tried. Within half a minute I had something like 10 zombies in the middle of my field, and two cubis. The zombies appear very quickly. As a comparison, in a PvZ level, I typically have time to plant two sunflowers and maybe a peashooter before the first zombie appears. It then crawls across the screen, not sambas, so I have time to start "building" my sunflower supply line. Having so many zombies moving quite so quickly is quite different! It made it much more hectic than I like my tower defense!
    This was also partly due to a different problem: I had no indication as to whether I had successfully selected an item to use, and where it would end up if I clicked. This was disorienting and unpleasant. In PvZ, your cursor "holds" a copy of the plant you are about to plant.
    Also, sometimes I would have a certain indicated imagination, but would not be allowed to use a cubi, without any idea if it was on cooldown or what.

I played PvZ to death, so I would love to enjoy this, but at least on my main browser, it's just kinda... unplayable? Especially since losing just crashed the page entirely O.o;

I do love where you're going with all these glitch-themed games, tied together!
    Posted 11 years ago by Faranae Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Dahlia & Mike
    Thx glad you like ^^

@Faranae
    Yeah I know the beginning may be slightly fast as in introduction to the game
    Actually it becomes easier after a few tries, but okay I'll try to make the first experience a lil smoother

About the selection, the item slot turns yellow-ish when you select an item. I picked the same color that was in Glitch, but it's possibly a bit pale for a faster paced game. Maybe I'm gonna add a lil animation on the item, like the one on the planks
    Also I'm trying to make the game tablet-friendly, that's why it's more like the mobile version of pvz and there's no item under your cursor... I'll see if I can have both controls tho

Are you sure you had enough "qurazy points" for the cubi?
    The numbers at the top is your "total" img count (for Craft and such), while the number at the bottom is your "qurazy" count for the items. And there is no cooldown here unlike pvz

Can you tell me exactly when it crashed? Was it after the green message, or just when the zomblitch passed through your last lines? If it crashes at the very end it's quite likely something with the leaderboard, did you try the websocket test page above?

PS: thx for the detailed review ;)
  • I don't have a tablet, so I haven't tried PvZ on there. So sad. :,(

It crashes when the last zombie gets through the lines.
    I do think I might have been looking in the wrong place for my img, I'll have to try again.
    I think if you want to preserve the Glitchy look on the color choices and not have to cope with tablet vs PC, a little animation indicating "yup, that's what you chose!" would probably be a big help. Once I realized I wasn't going to "pick up" a plank to use it, I got used to that pretty quickly, but the cubis were still a bit awkard.

And you're welcome. The one thing I'm good at in games is finding bugs or minor design flaws!
  • Superb!
    I would like to make games with you some time.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kukubee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lemo! Awesome as always!
    Posted 11 years ago by BumbleBeez Subscriber! | Permalink
  • !!!
    Posted 11 years ago by Smiling Flounder Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Fantastic!
    Posted 11 years ago by ElleD Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This was brilliant Lemo!  Thank you so much!!  I was using FF and the only issue I had was freezing if I put down the campfire.  So, I just don't use that one.  Will definitely click on Support Games for you!
    Posted 11 years ago by kat65 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Brilliant!!
    Posted 11 years ago by Griselda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is awesome! No problems on Chrome other than the "Zomblitches Ate Your Bacon!" screen gets all shakey.

I did notice that if you place a fuel maker in the very top left corner, the tree branch blocks any QQs from showing up. That killed me my first play through because I couldn't get any iMG from my ONE machine I had built. Did a bit better when I placed my first machine in the bottom left corner.
    Posted 11 years ago by chinotenshi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Faranae
    Okay I doubled the count of planks when you start for a more smooth and splanky introduction!
    Beginning should be easy enough now, and it was easier for me to fix anyway than messing with my timing code ^^
    And the selected item now jump around a bit to see it better
    Also I raided a bit the img quoins drop btw, to make it closer to Game of Orbs earnings

About your crash what do you mean the "last" zombie? The game is supposed to end when the first zombie reaches the woods...then the other zombies fade and the camera slides toward the house...did you see any of that?
    In any case tell what would help are the results of the websocket test and your browser specs

@Kukubee
    Thanks mate, glad you like the way I use our your neat designs!
    Zombie pandas have been my eternal inspiration :p
    Sending you back a mail :]

@kat65
    That campfire thingie you have is really strange, should behave just like everything else, I'll have a look...
    Btw the fire will turn your projectiles into fire when I get the time to make that update!

@chinotenshi
    Okay I'll nudge that tree a bit

@Everyone
    Thanks for your feedback^^
  • Error 404 for me on the 'play here as a guest link. :/
    Posted 11 years ago by glassy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @glassy Thx, fixed!
  • My favorite!!!! =D
    Posted 11 years ago by Jackie Jones Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is so much fun! Finally a game I can get on the leaderboard for..... >.>
    Posted 11 years ago by Fern Connelly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I cannot tell a lie... that is not me on the leaderboard right now. It was my dear spouse, known in Ur as Sir Isaac Nukem. We are both amazed and delighted with this game, and send great piles of thanks to you, Lemo! (We will also send you currents after the paycheck clears tomorrow... )
    Posted 11 years ago by Lilith Subscriber! | Permalink
  • How lovely
    Posted 11 years ago by Popcorn☺ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • websocket and webgl are both all clear! I'm on Firefox 18.0.2.

And yeah, I mistyped "last" instead of "first"! O.o Boy, that made for some confusion. When an enemy gets past the final line of defense, it just freezes up, nothing happens at all except a perpetual loading mouse, no zoom to house (there's a house?!) and the zombies don't fade.

And the planks and the item bounce made the difference! o.o Thanks tons, I had fun trying it out again this evening. I made myself stop when I hit 3000 img for GlitchCraft. Maybe I would have done better this morning if I'd tried *after* my coffee. ;)
  • Yes, the item bounce is super-helpful (although personally I didn't notice that the extra planks really helped that much..... >.>)
    Posted 11 years ago by Fern Connelly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's freezing for me when the first zombie crosses the line, too (though before the message -- I haven't gotten that yet). Firefox 19.0, Ubuntu 10.01 if that helps at all.

But that said...WOW this is fun.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kyleri Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Haha, nice!  It's working pretty well on the current version of Chrome!  

I agree with Chinotenshi that the tree in the upper left obscures the field of play a little too much, and with Faranae that the zombies shouldn't be coming as soon as you start the game.  The additional planks help, but I noticed a few times that I couldn't tell whether I'd really selected a plank or not.  I'd go to click a zombutler or similar, and nothing would happen.  Other times, I'd be aimed right on one, and I'd hear the appropriate sound effect, but it looked like nothing happened.  I'd suggest that, when you click on the Plank, not only does the number go down but you also see an image of the plank under your mouse cursor.  Because, well, having more planks at the outset does help -- but only if they're reliable.

I'd also suggest that the cubimals be ranked in order of price, and that the IMG score be located closer to them, if possible, so it's easier to figure out what we can afford now and how easily we'll be able to save up for something. 

If possible, a way to introduce the abilities of each Cubimal would be nice.  Maybe they could be displayed on the initial loading screen, or an interstitial screen after it and before the actual gameplay? 

And the last suggestion... maybe it's just me, but the shaking on "Zomblitches Ate Your Bacon!" is really over the top.  It kinda gives me a headachey, motion-sickness like feeling, and I have to close the tab right away. Which is a shame, because if I've lost, I want to replay it right away, not have to open it and load it all over.  

All that being said, it's definitely fun so far!  I look forward to seeing the future progress!

Good luck!
    Posted 11 years ago by Aposiopesis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Looks awesome Lemo! I tried it on my Andriod Samsung Galaxy Note. I was a huge fan of PvZ and love your work. I was able to plant the machine and 2 cubies and splank 4 times. Froze on first attempt. Ran fine the second time except I wasnt clear what the splanking did. It didnt seem to slow the butlers down. Maybe damage? Game was larger than my screen but I agree that those zombie were bookin' it.
    Posted 11 years ago by Dagnabbit Rabbit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Very cute. Not terribly easy to play on my tablet & on my mac, it was sometimes hard to select things. (Using Safari). I agree I'd like a slower intro with a chance to build up a bit more of a defense & the selection of an item needs to be more obvious as others have said.  Love the "zombies ate your bacons", lol!
    Posted 11 years ago by Bluebunny Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So good!
    Posted 11 years ago by Danny Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think I have figured out what the different items do and, even though I'm pretty good at PvZ, the best I did was 199. I have no clue how anyone got 549... Great fun! I will try again when I have some time to just sit and destroy more Zomblitch. :)

Question: What does the iMG score do? Or, rather, what is it for? I know what the falling quoins do, they allow you buy items to place, but what are the purple ones for (which seem to add up at the top)?
    Posted 11 years ago by foolbunny Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Those are for GlitchCraft, which is another nifty little Glitch thingy Lemo made.
  • CPU limit reached on the web host :(
    Posted 11 years ago by WaLLy3K Subscriber! | Permalink
  • :(

I love PvZ!
    Posted 11 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • CPU limit reached?!?!? I haz a sad.  :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Griselda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Is there a tip jar somewhere to which we could contribute to support the web hosting?
    Posted 11 years ago by Beyond the Pale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Beyond - Click on the "Gimme" button under the game.
    Posted 11 years ago by Thysby Subscriber! | Permalink
  • CPU Limit Reached
    Posted 11 years ago by Sir Lovealot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • :-( CPU
    Posted 11 years ago by EmiB Subscriber! | Permalink
  • CPU Limit Reached just  so  :(  when  will it  un - reach ?
    Posted 11 years ago by Pinkie Pinkston Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Woops sorry about that
    Did my best to optimize the bandwidth but I didn't expect any CPU limits o_O
    Anyway, for what I understand this should be unlocked after 24hours or less

I don't think we need to upgrade the hosting though, it should be fine after the first wave of players
    Funny thing is that I also have local problems with my internet connection right now...
    so it may take some time before I manage to upload everything elsewhere

I'll update the first post when the mirror link is up

EDIT: Okay I didn't get the chance to re-upload elsewhere (as my connection is still in zombie mode...)
    BUT everything now seems to be back online on the main server!
    Well, I think it is, I'm barely managing to load any web pages or the forums :p
  • Ah, this is amazing! :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Roger Conte Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you. I loved Plants vs. Zombies, so this is right up my ally. I'm not going to get anything done now!
    Posted 11 years ago by BenAlex Subscriber! | Permalink
  • How do you use the planks?  I am confused.  Can't seem to do anything with them.

Edit: Never mind.  I figured it out.  I still am so bad at this though.  
    Posted 11 years ago by RainCat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm bad at it too, RainCat. I won't look at the leaderboards if you don't XD
    Posted 11 years ago by Aleph Zero Subscriber! | Permalink
  • hah!  I love it!!  I hate these racy, rush-rush games and yet, somehow, I absolutely love this!  Thank you!
    Posted 11 years ago by Minkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Okay some updates:
    - Top left tree branch moved a bit
    - Zomblitches Ate Your Bacons! should be slightly less shakey
    - You now have 60 "easy" seconds at the beginning
    - The campfire now turns into fireball any egg passing through

About the splank with "no effect", there was two things:
    - Some zomblitches are tougher and can resist a splank or two
    - The hit was registered at the end of the animation, and it could happen that the enemy
    moved out of the area in the meantime if you clicked exactly on the edge, so I made that area bigger

@Faranae & Kyleri:
    I have added an option to disable the score posting, can you check out this link and tell me if the crash persists?
    (You won't see your score or any leaderboard at the end)
    http://glitched.webatu.com/pvz.htm?score=skip

And the Gameplay sheet is now available, so you may finally figure out what this game is about
    (if you haven't already :p)
  • Love it! The only problem I'm having is I can't seem to scroll how I want. Either the top of my screen is cut off (the entire top row of zomblitches) or the cost value for the items is cut off. It won't let me free scroll so I can line up the screen how I want. Seemed like a weird thing to me. I'm using Chrome. I tired to scan through and see if this was a problem for anyone else, didn't see it mentioned though. Not a huge problem really though :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Sanwei Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yup, no crash. Sad I still haven't seen the leaderboard, but that's ok! ^^

I think you've fixed absolutely everything up so it's super extra awesome! Thanks<3~~~!
  • @Sanwei
    Strange, just checked and I can scroll fine if I resize to a tiny window
    And if your screen is really too small, you could try your browser zoom it works well ("ctrl" + "-" for firefox)

@Faranae
    Okay glad we pinned the issue!
    The skip option doesn't have to be definitive, there's probably a way to make the websockets work for you, now that I know it's the one thing that crashes
    For example do you have an antivirus that could be too strict? What happens when you deactivate it?
    And if nothing work, you could try to send a mail to Austin from Clay.io (the leaderboard API I'm using)
    You can say it's from Lemo, describing your issue and the url of the game
    Eventually try a few game before on Clay.io, for example this one, where a leaderboard pops up at the end too
    Austin: austinhallock [at] gmail.com
  • It's a great game and I really like it!
    On Internet Explorer, it just loads and gets stuck on the loading page. And the notices for typing excessively long words/names in Global are in French.
    Posted 11 years ago by AwesomeCardinal2000 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The game is definitely awesome!

I don't think IE does HTML5, which would probably be why it doesn't load.

As for the "your message contains one or more words of excessive length" message being in French, here is something Lemo said about chat in the Game of Orbs forum:

"It's in french, because it seems to be the only chat widget with enough options to look like Glitch global chat. Of course if you know another one, that may also be less laggy, feel free to tell me about it."
    Posted 11 years ago by Nelnah Fish Subscriber! | Permalink
  • All right, thank you.
    Is it possible to change the user that's logged in?
  • @AC2000 You mean from a different Glitch account?
    If that's about it, you can access manually the login page where the game forwards you on the first run
    Login to your other account from Glitch website, then try this link to login to Pvz
    (Your login will change in Craft & Orbs as well)

EDIT: omg you guys went crazy on the leaderboard XD
  • It actually works fine on my smartphone, except the UI is too big for my screen. If you made the game interface more compact and added buttons for slowing and speeding up time, PvZ could make a great mobile game. 
    Posted 11 years ago by BenAlex Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks!
  • Yep, that fixed it for me, too, Lemo. You're awesome!
    Posted 11 years ago by Kyleri Subscriber! | Permalink