Topic

Staff Topic

The End of the Line

When we first announced Glitch's closure, we said that the website and forums would remain available for a while and that we'd notify everyone of the site's closure ahead of time. This, unfortunately, is that notification. We will be taking significant portions of the Glitch website offline on March 25th.

The silver lining of this particular cloud is that we will be able to keep far more of the Glitch website alive than we'd initially anticipated. Rather than going offline completely, we'll be switching the site into an archival mode — nearly all of its existing content will remain online. You will no longer be able to log in to comment, edit, or like things, but your profile and snaps will remain available for viewing.

The portions of the website that will remain online are:

• The Encyclopedia, including all of the CC-licensed assets
  • Published snaps, including comments and likes
  • Profiles, including status updates and comments, avatar images, achievements, skills, friends lists, and player biographies.

The portions of the website that will go offline on March 25th are:

• Logins
  • Forums
  • Mail
  • Groups and group discussions
  • API
  • Wardrobe and Vanity
  • Leaderboards

Thank you all for being part of Glitch. We had the best community a game could hope for and we can't imagine having an online archive of the game without all of you in it. If you don't want your profile or snaps to remain online, you may go to your account page to delete your account. If you're going to stick around for the long haul, be sure to put on some snazzy threads, pick your best nose, and update your bio while you still can! March 25th will be the last day to delete or change your profile.

On behalf of the crew at Tiny Speck, both past and present: we love you. Thanks :)

Posted 11 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Game over....
    Posted 11 years ago by Yendor Subscriber! | Permalink
  • :) But the game is also just beginning, Yendor.

A beautiful game called life.
    Posted 11 years ago by Lone Druid Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks, guys. I'll really miss getting to check in with the Glitch world, but it's so nice that we'll get to keep so much of the web site for the long haul! 

Now to burn off the rest of my credits with crazy outfits....
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Coco Subscriber! | Permalink
  • *hugs everyone*

I'm sad to see this happen, even though it was expected. But I am so, so grateful that so much of the information is going to be kept, and that we don't have to dread coming to Glitch and seeing an empty page.
    Posted 11 years ago by Roger Conte Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I come to Glitch every day.  I read the Homepage (and reply) and go to a few of the Forums.  I'll be sorry to see those go but THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH Tiny Speck for keeping them up as long as you did.  Thank You too for what will still be up after March 25.  The Game was incredible, The Tiny Speckers were incredible and many, many, many of the players were incredible.  Glitch was a part of my life for 20 months.  It will be a part of my heart forever.
    Posted 11 years ago by Marla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • :(
    Posted 11 years ago by katlazam Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for Glitch, thank you for leaving us with such a great reminder of a beautiful world. Now I am faced with a dilemma - mining hat? Octopus? Spriggan outfit? Winter clothes???? What to pick for posterity?
    Posted 11 years ago by Momo McGlitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Now I have until March 25 to finalize what things to write in my Glitch profile. I am pretty sure I'll be sticking to my Lem threads though.

Oh! For those who saw the Salted Egg Glitch Tribute, be warned that there will be more in the next couple of issues!
    Posted 11 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for giving us such a wonderful gaming experience, and thanks even more for closing the game in such a considerate way.
    Posted 11 years ago by snygyst Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks Stoot, Kukubee, Kevbob, Jono and everyone at TS who were involved in providing such an excellent outlet for such fabulousness...
    Posted 11 years ago by Arietty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • *echoes snygyst, who took the words straight out of my mouth*

How I wish I had found Glitch before last October!  I will remember you forever!
    Posted 11 years ago by BumblingNewbie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had a wonderful time and will never forget Ur and all the Glitchen, animals and most of all Tiny Speck.  You have been more than a Tiny Speck to me, maybe a Giant Mote!  Thank you for planning to keep so much of the site online.  That was more than I expected!  I will miss playing in the wardrobe and Vanity but everything has some sort of limit.  It is going to be hard to decide how to dress my Avatar for the long run.  Must be some way to wear everything and change colors daily - Lol!  You have all been such a pleasure to have played with!
    Posted 11 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you. Thank you for all you have done. Thank you for what you were able to create. Thank you for what you are able to leave behind. Thank you for all the things that I loved so dearly. Thank you for all the things that drove me nuts. Thank you for making memories that will fade, but never be forgotten. Thank you for thanking us - that means more than you can know.
    Posted 11 years ago by foolbunny Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Will those parts of the website be stored or deleted?
    Posted 11 years ago by Tour DeCanada Subscriber! | Permalink
  • *hugs everyone*

Thank TS and the rest for this wonderful game!
    I'll be sure to keep track of your other projects :D

Thanks again! :D
    Glitch was a life-changing game for me, and I will miss it wholeheartedly
    Posted 11 years ago by Rutger Subscriber! | Permalink
  • the end is coming, the end is coming!
    :-(
    Posted 11 years ago by Chinny the Unlikely Subscriber! | Permalink
  • *hugs everyone*
    Posted 11 years ago by Mocha Maid Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I will miss you all so much! How thoughtful of Stoot to let us know in such a considerate way - all of you at TS just ROCK!
    Posted 11 years ago by Chazerei Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oddly enough and sadly enough, THE FINAL COUNTDOWN is now replaying in my head.
    Time to get snazzed up in our best outfits, y'all. PARTY TIME, FOR THE LAST TIME ;-;
    Posted 11 years ago by Maria Diatorre Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Also, is it okay if I could get some wardrobe credits, too? Kind of went crazy with the home decoration in December. If not that's okay. 
    SIGH I MISS YOU GUYS SO MUCH
    Posted 11 years ago by Maria Diatorre Subscriber! | Permalink
  • YEEZY HAPPY TO SEE ALL THE CAPS IN THIS THREAD. KEEP ON CAPS ON YO.

YEEZY OUT
    Posted 11 years ago by KANYE Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm glad the forums stayed up as long as they have. I'll be sad to see them go -- they were a big part of my Glitch experience.

Although I've made a niche in a different game and online community over the past three months, this still breaks my heart ... all over again. I mean, I knew it was coming. But ... yeah.

*does not get mushy does not get mushy does not get mushy*
    Posted 11 years ago by Sirentist Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hey devs.. Would it be naughty to try and remake Glitch, or would I get sued?
    Posted 11 years ago by Paul ♖ DarkKiero Subscriber! | Permalink
  • SURE KANYE ;-)

I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU ARE SIRENTIST, GLAD YOU FOUND A NICE GAME.

XXX FOR ALL
    Posted 11 years ago by Atlantis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you so much, stoot, for finding a way to leave an archive of ourselves and the wonderful world of Glitch online. And when you're ready to beta-test your next project, who ya gonna call? Glitch players! ("We're ready to believe in YOU!")
    Posted 11 years ago by Lilith Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hey guys, Hellyeah just set up a comments/chat section in absolutelypreposterous.com to keep all of us connected.  *\o/*

Come on over to check it out.  :D
    Posted 11 years ago by CoffeeSnob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Also, LPC, I could use more credits... ama go crazy in wardrobe! lol
  • Also, what Lillith said!  *grins happily*
  • Thanks, Little Poundcake! I now have more credits than I know what to do with! But I will soldier on with the task of creating 50 additional, original outfits. (!) Yay! I'm so HAPPY!
    Posted 11 years ago by Ann DramaDuh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you so much. I was already dreading the day when I'd type in glitch.com and it would be gone. I cannot express how much I loved Glitch. Thank you for that. 
    Posted 11 years ago by camicami Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We love you too, Stoot. For me, this was the game to end all games, and anything else will be unsatisfying because it isn't Glitch. As for the wardrobe, I changed my look for the first time in a year right before the closing announcement, then changed back to Crinkle Classic for the end. (I did get nekkid for the nekkid feat, very briefly.) I love watching everyone else's wardrobe evolve in all their wunnerful crazy ways, but for myself, I had fun accumulating currants & credits that would enable me to change ... and never doing so.
    Posted 11 years ago by Crinkle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This game was the best, thank you for it. Hate to ask but, can i have more credits please, or can you make the price on everything 0?
    Posted 11 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you, stoot, for doing so much to leave us with as much of this absolutely preposterous game as possible. Thank you to all of Tiny Speck for sharing your creativity and love with us glitchen. And thank you to all the wonderful glitchen who made this such a beautiful, nurturing community.

(Am I crying? Or is that just the sun in my eyes?)

I'm excited to see what Tiny Speck will have for us in the future. You know how to find us when next you need us!  {{{hugs}}} and ***kisses*** to everyone!!!!!
    Posted 11 years ago by kastlin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well............bye :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for so much awesome,
    For the love, the friends and the fun
    I will keep all that was Glitch in my heart

((hugs))
    Posted 11 years ago by Faereluth Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Time to start grabbing links off the forums...

This makes me sad, but I appreciate the warning!
    Posted 11 years ago by chilirlw Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ~sigh~ Well, at least not everything is lost........
    Posted 11 years ago by Alcie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ...Oh man this really makes it final, no more forums, no more logins.
    *hyperventilating* 

But, I was glad it lasted this long after closing the game.
    Time to step up my collect everything I can find on the forums etc.
    and thankfully not all will be lost!
    You'll be missed terribly and will always have special place in my heart! (I better say it now or I'll forget to do it on the last day, like I did with closing of the game when I couldn't get through because of sleep.)
    Posted 11 years ago by Nutty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's like choosing your own burial suit. Now all we need is a little container to fill with choice artifacts like a beaker people grave.
    Posted 11 years ago by Benzyl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It was inevitable and have been preparing myself. The FB group has been fantastic and has somewhat replaced forums for me. I have also met heaps of people I didn't even get to meet properly in game and it is pretty active.

It's a shame that the wardrobe won't be staying or that all the clothes couldn't be made free as I wanted to try on ALL THE THINGS before closure.

So I guess I am asking Little Poundcake if I could please please have some more credits. Pretty please :) Thanks for all your snaps updates btw. I have really been enjoying them.

Apart from that, non-fb people - always think of me out there in the wilds of Australia sloth knocking my little heart out.

It's been a pleasure spending time with all of you and I want to thank the people at Tiny Speck for all the fun and laughter. Should you need us for any reason at all....

(If your trees can quote Labyrinth so can I)

Thank you :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Cleops Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had the time of my life. 

I owe it all to you.
    Posted 11 years ago by Eye Wonder Subscriber! | Permalink
  • OMG
    Posted 11 years ago by MisAdventure Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We love you Stoot - and TY so much for the best months of our gaming life!  We wish you the very best and will never forget Glitch or your or the other amazing devs!
    Posted 11 years ago by MisAdventure Subscriber! | Permalink
  • All of the clothes are now freeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

If you're wearing pants, take them off, then put some other pants on! If you aren't wearing pants, put some on! PANTS.
    Posted 11 years ago by Little Poundcake Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks so much for all you've done for us, Stoot, Little Poundcake, Tiny Speck. Even after the end, you're still...awesome.
    Posted 11 years ago by TanithLow Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You all still rock and thanks for the notice!
    Posted 11 years ago by Thursday Soleil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you LP! FREEEE CLOTHES! Now to see how many outfits I can combine before DOOMS DAY. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Wynella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks, everyone - from the players to the developers. I miss this place, but it helped me a lot, and I will always carry this sense of wonder, and kindness. Good luck in all your journeys ahead.
    Posted 11 years ago by Threetailfox Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm still so sad, I've barely been able to come back here much :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Marie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for giving us this time to mourn. Having the forums open for this long has helped ease the loss, for me anyway.

Some part of me wishes someone would remake and rebuild Glitch. But, without all of you still working on it, it just wouldn't be the same.

I also hope that one day (even though I don't yet own a smart phone) I'll see Glitch related apps out there.

In the mean time, I wish you all (TS crew and fellow Glitchen) a fond farewell and the best of luck in all that you do.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kridla Subscriber! | Permalink