Topic

Staff Topic

The End of the Line

When we first announced Glitch's closure, we said that the website and forums would remain available for a while and that we'd notify everyone of the site's closure ahead of time. This, unfortunately, is that notification. We will be taking significant portions of the Glitch website offline on March 25th.

The silver lining of this particular cloud is that we will be able to keep far more of the Glitch website alive than we'd initially anticipated. Rather than going offline completely, we'll be switching the site into an archival mode — nearly all of its existing content will remain online. You will no longer be able to log in to comment, edit, or like things, but your profile and snaps will remain available for viewing.

The portions of the website that will remain online are:

• The Encyclopedia, including all of the CC-licensed assets
  • Published snaps, including comments and likes
  • Profiles, including status updates and comments, avatar images, achievements, skills, friends lists, and player biographies.

The portions of the website that will go offline on March 25th are:

• Logins
  • Forums
  • Mail
  • Groups and group discussions
  • API
  • Wardrobe and Vanity
  • Leaderboards

Thank you all for being part of Glitch. We had the best community a game could hope for and we can't imagine having an online archive of the game without all of you in it. If you don't want your profile or snaps to remain online, you may go to your account page to delete your account. If you're going to stick around for the long haul, be sure to put on some snazzy threads, pick your best nose, and update your bio while you still can! March 25th will be the last day to delete or change your profile.

On behalf of the crew at Tiny Speck, both past and present: we love you. Thanks :)

Posted 11 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Thanks for the warning, and also for leaving everything up as long as you have.
    It's incredibly cool that there will still be a Glitch archive to visit and enjoy.
    I miss Glitch. No matter how hard I look, there's just nothing else like it.
    Thanks to everyone that made Glitch amazing, TS folk & players alike
    Posted 11 years ago by xombiekitty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Noo! Why must this end on the month of my birthday? 
    Thanks for still letting us see our snaps ;(.
    Posted 11 years ago by Keeda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You are so wonderful. All of you. Stoot, I know that I for one will be waiting with bated breath for what you and the TS team do next.

I recently made a Flickr account for the first time, and I keep noticing "Glitchy" things about the site -- how to say hi in various languages, the whimsical responses to various actions, etc. -- and it makes me smile so much. Thank you.

<3
    Posted 11 years ago by Elendraug Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks Stoot for letting us keep our photos and outfits and now the outfits are free thanks again. Not a day passes without me thinking how much I miss Glitch. Not another game matches Glitch for fun, humour, art and how I miss my Miss Melody in all her lovely outfits and of course all my friends:) I like a lot of ex glitchen do play another game together but it no way replaces Glitch. I also loved how all the staff played along with us and shared our tears and laughter I could go on and on. Please Stoot if you ever make another game I would love to be with you from the begining.
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Melody Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you!
    Posted 11 years ago by EmiB Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, I just wanted to say an extra thank you for keeping our snaps online. Although I was thrilled to be able to download the whole archive of them, it's even better to be able to view them in context, as it were, with all the comments, place information, and captions.
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Coco Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow! It's no wonder I fell in love with Glitch and TS! Not only are you all wonderfully creative, you also work extremely hard to please your players. What an unselfish, good-hearted, generous group you are. You deserve tons of good karma! THANK YOU!
    Posted 11 years ago by Seaweed Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What's this starting to look like?

http://www.paulvankeuren.com/WebApp/web/webapp.html
    Posted 11 years ago by Paul ♖ DarkKiero Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I will cherish the memories of Glitch forever.
    ...and plus infinity because of this.
    Thank you ;A;'
    Posted 11 years ago by Chemisie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you so much, TS. I'm glad at least a small part of Glitch will be preserved. <3 ;w; No game will ever replace Glitch in my heart.
    Posted 11 years ago by Morgue Subscriber! | Permalink
  • How to say thank you and goodbye - a final goodbye... I'm not sure. Glitch has been a very special place for me. So many things here at the end of my life I have always meant to do, never made time for and now can't do ... except in Glitch/Ur. I won't go into details - but you all know those crazy/wonderful things I mean - building the house of your dreams, jumping through clouds, off cliffs, walking on the ocean floor, exploring the ends of the globe, fighting evil, enlarging your brain... LOLROTFL - I said I wouldn't go into details, and there I go - off on another rant on the wonders and beauty of Glitch! Well, it goes to show you how very much love is still there. I have been trying to "wean" myself off because I knew this day would come - this is why it took me so long to respond. However, I am shocked that so MUCH of the site will still be here (and thankful)!!! Yes, I will miss the update page for sure, the sharing of old and new (thanks Little Poundcake!) snaps, and my favorite... THE MAGIC CLOSET, but you are leaving us so much, and I can't express my thanks nearly enough for that. No, nothing CAN ever replace Glitch. I HAVE looked quite far and wide enough to know that. I knew that before I even looked. It was a rare and wonderful place with a combination of rare, wonderful and gifted people that have lovely dreams, delightful humor and a desire to give us whatever world they could dream up! How amazing it all was! And how REALLY wonderful to have been a part of it all!

Thank you again to ALL of you - stoot, LP, TS staffers past & present, and to all of my fellow Glitchen. You all made this world the incredible place it was and I will always, ALWAYS smile to think of Glitch. *hugs all madly, clutching box of tissues*
    Posted 11 years ago by Hab Subscriber! | Permalink
  • forget all this noise, I just miss Sirentist.  

Sirentist!  Come hang out on Skype!  I promise I won't let Boom hug you -- I don't even know where he is!   
    Posted 11 years ago by Saucelah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I.....I.....Ok. Ok. Goodbye, forums.
    Posted 11 years ago by Emblemofrook Subscriber! | Permalink
  • this is much better than I expected!
    thanks everybody, glitchens and staff, you are the best :)
    Posted 11 years ago by acreditando Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's so great that we get to hang on to so much!  Between the archive, the book and the music my avatar can retire with her feet up for years to come.

I love the Glitch community and staff.

xoxo
    Posted 11 years ago by SugarMag Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for everything! We will miss you :-(
    Posted 11 years ago by Daisy Blooms Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I ... am cutting onions. Yeah, totally cutting onions. While at my computer. That's why I got wet eyes. Has nothing to do with the forums closing.

Whaaaaa!!
    Posted 11 years ago by EileenAlphabet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO      NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO   NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    like...like... u cant! no! *sobs*
    Posted 11 years ago by Turqii Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you TS and lovely Glitchen! Wishing you all well.
    Posted 11 years ago by plou Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So heartbroken
    So grateful
    So many memories

The other day my 10yo son (okay, I'll admit now that I let him play with me, and he's been so sad about Glitch closing) said, "it's gonna be okay because we're the Giants now and when we dream we imagine. So we can play Glitch forever!"

He has the right of it. What was created will never end because we know it was possible once and will live within us always.

And with apologies to Dr. Seuss (who surely would have LOVED Glitch):
    Glitch will always be just as long as we have we. Welcome Glitchen while we stand, heart to heart, and hand in hand.

Thank you stoot & Tiny Speck.
    Posted 11 years ago by Thysby Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Memories are forever, Though dreams may have to end.
    What is not forgotten is never truly lost.
    Posted 11 years ago by Keeda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • * Your glitch wakes up and realizes it wasn't just a dream. It was life, It was Nothing, yet everything to him, but not only him, but to him only himself. We may dream of the future but might never live to see it. the world might stop spinning but may yet remain, Ummmm, stupid philosophy i came up with, blablabla, Even giants die, and rook eventually rot.
    Posted 11 years ago by we are durza Subscriber! | Permalink
  • glitch NO! I will come back for you someday! :)
    Posted 11 years ago by we are durza Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for all your work. The game will forever be missed.
    Posted 11 years ago by Auryona Subscriber! | Permalink
  • PLEASE FOR 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999$
    I WILL PAY PLEASE PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    Posted 11 years ago by Icarusmaddness Subscriber! | Permalink
  • WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS ANYWAY
    Posted 11 years ago by Icarusmaddness Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bye stoot!

:(
    Posted 11 years ago by OMG BACON!! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bye! <3
    Posted 11 years ago by Sororia Rose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for creating/maintaining Glitch! Best wishes for whatever the team does in the future. GNE -> flickr -> Glich -> something great!
    Posted 11 years ago by Yendor Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hate to see this announcement, but knew it was coming. Thank you for keeping so much alive for us for much longer than I had hoped--and thank you for all that we'll be able to access as archived treasure. 

And thank you again for all the wonderful, peaceful, playful hours and hours I spent in the amazing world of Glitch. Your creativity and wit were awesome. It was such a break from the cares of the day and I will miss it so much. 

The very best to all of you at TS. 

xoxo
    Posted 11 years ago by ElleD Subscriber! | Permalink
  • good luck to my friends the cloths are now free. i cant belive the site is closing down :(
    Posted 11 years ago by furydragon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for keeping this place up and running for so long! It was nice to come and lurk here. Thanks for the awesome memories!!!
    Posted 11 years ago by Ambillina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • until I saw this- I was kinda sorta holding out hope that this entire thing was an elaborate april fools stunt- I'm feeling mourny
    Posted 11 years ago by Mt Dew Me Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This makes me so very sad. I miss Glitch so much, the play and the players. You created such a great community, and we appreciate everything that you've done to make sure that we can keep a bit of Glitch in our lives.

Thanks, guys, we love you all.
    Posted 11 years ago by KatyaR Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I miss glitch. So darn much. it tears my heart into shreads. But pretty please dont close the forums.
    Posted 11 years ago by Future Shock Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you so, so much for all you've done, especially keeping the Encyclopedia up.   

If I make a Glitch-inspired creative work, what email address should I use to tell Tiny Speck about it?  
    Posted 11 years ago by WV Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Glad it won't be gone forever <3

Even having this little bit is great. Thank you for everything
    Posted 11 years ago by Conrad500 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aw guys, I miss you all so much, and I miss the game so much.  Sad days.
    Posted 11 years ago by Zoethor2 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Eh? Something hurts...

Oh, that's my heart ;_;
    Posted 11 years ago by Kieley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you so much for this <3 It was amazing
    I am going to miss the game so much...:'(

something feels off about this...sniffle
    Posted 11 years ago by Golden Apple Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Its so good to hear we will have some access! I do wish the forums could hang around. At least so we can re read our wonderful times but no longer post.
    Still Im just sitting here giddy waiting for my art book. I cannot wait!
    And thanks a ton for making the clothes free in the wardrobe, now I can play around once I am sure it will not affect my art book status. 
    Once again thank you mods, glitchens, giants, and the lovely ur. I will miss you, and think about this place daily. I hope we are able to meet again on another speck land :]
    Posted 11 years ago by Sara Chimera Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What does this mean for our personal data?  Email addresses, passwords and the like.
    Posted 11 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I miss all of this so much. Revisiting remains bitter-sweet, but knowing it will be preserved helps. I never expected so much would remain accessible to us, I am very grateful for that.
    Love you back, Stoot and Speckers!
    <3 Spree
    Posted 11 years ago by Spree Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I didnt get enough to eat.

Can we Glitch again later?  
    Posted 11 years ago by ☣ elf ☣ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Good Night Groddle, Good Night
    Posted 11 years ago by Taco Assassin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I Wish Glitch Could Have Been Saved...
    But TinySpeck I'm Glad You Tried :,)
    (Smiling But Crying Too)
    But I'll Never Delete My Account
    It's My Only Memory Of This...
    Rediculous
    Strange
    Weird
    And Wonderful
    World And It Was One Of The Only Ones Where I Was Accepted :,)

-Depressed Sukistar
    Posted 11 years ago by Depressed Sukistar Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks Again Though Glitch For A World That Accepted Weird People Because I Was Never Accepted At My School For Who I Am But I Can Be Here *cries*

Goodbye For Good
    Glitch

-Depressed Sukistar
    (Who At The Moment Is Sobbing)
    Posted 11 years ago by Depressed Sukistar Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you so so much for this outsdanding experience that you guys have provided us. I guess we will never be able to thank you enough for this amazing months of pure madness and fun.
    I wish it could have last a little bit longer.
    I'll look forward for other TS worlds, I know you won't disappoint me.

Your now sobbing fan,

-Asuna
    Posted 11 years ago by Asuna Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you so much for everything. I'm sure that I'll come back and look and remember and be glad. For now, it still feels too sad. Glitch has now been gone for longer than I was a player but I still miss it so much. So often I go to the big Glitch-shaped hole in the internet and wish things were different. I haven't found another game to play - I don't imagine I will. But I won't forget how wonderful games can be. My time among the Glitchen was a wonderful adventure and it will be nice to be able to look back on it someday. Thank you for all you have done. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Schiehallion23 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Of course there's simply not
    A more congenial spot
    For happy ever-after-ing than here in
    Glitch-a-lot

Apologies to Lerner and Loewe

The best part about Glitch for me  is that it really, really was as wonderful as we remember it. (Yeah, I know stoot said they didn't figure out how to make it fun until too late. That's not what I mean.) The whimsy, the fact that what we did mattered, the tremendously creative delightful community--devs and players both--all rolled up into something unique, wonderful, and I am so, so glad I was able to enjoy it. If only for a little while. Love to you all. And thanks.
    Posted 11 years ago by Axa Subscriber! | Permalink