Topic

[staff update] where have all the snaps gone?

Did I miss something? There used to be something like 20,000 pages full of snaps, and now when I go to snaps I only get about 26 pages. Weren't all the snaps going to stay up, even after March 25th?

[staff ed 3/13: see http://www.glitch.com/forum/general/30712/324791/]

Posted 11 years ago by Silvery Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• All of the snaps are still up and will not go away. We changed the main snaps link to show the ~800 snaps that we (staff) identified over the last couple of years as being exceptionally good at capturing something essentially Glitchy. All snaps are still accessible via location pages and profile pages.
    Posted 11 years ago by Little Poundcake Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, what a shame... I loved going to page 8,765 or so and then just look through a few dozen pages, following links to streets or Glitchen or whatever took my fancy. 
    And the last dozen or more pages were all about the last day, and all the people choosing their own spot for the end: in their house or in a popular street or with friends, that was lovely. 
    And Little Poundcake's pictures were the very last, even after SeerQueen's, with nice snaps of things in the empty world or snaps of things we hadn't seen yet. 
  • Everything Silvery said, that's exactly what I loved as well... It was a visual timeline.
    Posted 11 years ago by Smallchalet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I really like the set of "curated" snaps that are up now -- so many fantastic ones! -- but I'd also still like a way to get to the others. Is there any way to add a link to "All Snaps" next to the "My Snaps" link on the main snaps page? Or something like that?
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Coco Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Are these the ones selected for the book? or is that a different subset?
    Posted 11 years ago by bumblepuppy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @bumblepuppy
    Has nothing to do with the ones that will be in the book! But there probably will be some crossover because there are some nice ones.

And I like the curated "Best of" representing us when we go into archival mode.
    Like a museum for future civilizations who stumble upon Glitch.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kukubee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ...and one of my snaps is in there!... (boggles)
    Posted 11 years ago by Mocha Maid Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ooh, a few of mine made the cut!
    Posted 11 years ago by Jheya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I hope my stoot attacks make it into the book :D
    Posted 11 years ago by OMG BACON!! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • How often do you visit a museum? This is one time I don't agree... At least before you could expect to find new to you snaps; altogether it was easier. I think all snaps are the best. And if they are new to you, even better!
  • I agree with you in the short term because there still is a forum and still are a bunch of us hanging on til the end.
    But it's better for the long term. You won't be here checking in anymore. I won't. There's already been a drop-off since the announcement of the site going into archival mode and it's only going to continue dropping 'til the end.
    The only people who will be stumbling upon Glitch in the future will be people wondering wtf Glitch was or you and I reminiscing that game we used to frequent. In both of those situations, it's better in my opinion to leave behind remnants of Glitch in all its variety. Variety is better than "Best of". I don't think we need every snap ever at the ready.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kukubee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think glitch should come back; I miss everything about it. I miss the art, the community, the music, the devs.
    I think that in the end two things went wrong: product marketing and scalability.
    Those can be solved.
    What was made was an unique confluence of talent, desire, and passion. The world is poorer for its absence.
    I have never missed a game before.
    This speaks to what was so special.
    Posted 11 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "I don't think we need every snap ever at the ready."

oooooh, I beg to differ...but I understand.

"The world is poorer for its absence.
    I have never missed a game before."

Ooooo0OOO0oooO, you are correct, good Glitch!

at the ready,
    Minkey
    Posted 11 years ago by Minkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's not so much as having every snap ever at the ready...as it is just...having 'em altogether, guess for me it was just more fun exploring snaps...that way. To be honest I sort of feel like Tom Hanks in the movie Big, looking at the toy robot that turns into a building saying, "What's fun about that?" & "I don't get it." }; But, all in all. I'm just happy, that the site will be here, and all our snaps and pages. Many thanks for everything, and for being here for us 'til the end. *:) Although I don't like to say that its the end, but rather a new beginning. Best wishes Kukubee :) Glad I got to be apart of Glitch, it truly was something special.
  • There are a ton of repeat looking images now, and so much great stuff not represented.
    Posted 11 years ago by snarkle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I enjoyed looking through them, but I was a little disappointed that the "representative" snaps contained quite so many repeated images. :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Moonie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah I agree some of them are very similar
    Just in the first page for example there are three snaps with fertilidust sparkles in the same trees
    I think it's a good idea to make a selection though
    Posted 11 years ago by Lemo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Feedback noted. We'll work on improving it at some point.
  • Ohhh I was wondering why one of my old snaps was on the first page. It's nice to know it is exceptionally Glitchy! 
    Posted 11 years ago by Eye Wonder Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Forthcoming changes:

1) We will add all of the snaps from this forum thread to the starred list so that you guys get your faves up there as well.
    2) We will clean up some of the duplicates in the starred list.
    3) We will restore a way for you to view all of the public snaps ever taken, just like it was before. We're currently thinking of adding it as a link at the end of the starred list.

Now, the bad news: #3 will not be live until we take the site into archive mode on the 25th. Unless you want us to close the site early! We can push these changes out sooner if we go ahead and shut Ur down now. ;) 

#1 and #2 should be done before the end of the week.
  • nooooooooooooo, please don't shut it down early...we'll wait patiently and with our hands folded on our desks...good glitchen, very good and patient...
    Posted 11 years ago by Minkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Don't know how I got to this page yesterday, but I think it's a great idea. *:) Going to encyclopedia, and having an 'all snaps' link for some of the things. This ones for the forehorseman: www.glitch.com/inhabitants/...
  • Please DONT close it early.....please!!!....well be good really we will............
    Posted 11 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Little Poundcake and the other Speckers: I am stunned you would do even this for us. I'm very happy about it, because just browsing through the pictures somewhere around page 5999, is the next best thing to having Glitch for me. When I started this thread, I didn't think it would lead to even more work for you and the other remaining Speckers. So: awfully sorry for all the extra work but thank you very, very much. Thank you VERY, VERY much. Really. VERY.
  • You're welcome. :)