Topic

Goodnight, Groddle

I think that when the game goes away, all of our little world is asleep and waits for us till we come back again.

So I wrote this lullaby.  It's based on a song from my alma mater called "The Goodnight Song."
I hope it makes some of you happy too.  I like thinking that Ur is gently dreaming.

=================
Lay your picks and scrapers down,
Catch the fading evenlight,
Butterflies rest in the fruit trees
as we sing to Ur, "good night."

Fireflies glimmer, glimmer 'round all
Shimla Mirch and back to you
Bearing sparks from all the Glitchen
Cosma, Tii and Friendly too.

To be woven in our dreaming
Good night Groddle, good night.

Listen online (added for Faereluth and anyone else)
MP3  (updated at hburger's suggestion)

Updated:
The final version, made amazing by the talented Danny Simmons

Posted 13 years ago by Lelu Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Oh oh oh oh, this was absolutely wonderful! Thanks again, Lelu, and thanks so much, devs, for using it and putting the lovely background music in. Wonderful!
    Posted 13 years ago by RM Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1,000,000

Lelu thank you for the beautiful song!!! Reading this thread I was amazed to learn a fellow Glitchen created that sweet lullaby!  
    Posted 13 years ago by Sayuri Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It was wonderful. I wasn't even paying to god while he was posting. I just wanted to hear the song. 
    Posted 13 years ago by Sunny Subscriber! | Permalink
  • did anybody get it on video for those of us who missed it?
    Posted 13 years ago by FrankenPaula Subscriber! | Permalink
  • For anyone that missed that party and the new song here's a video link for you - enjoy!

glitchaddict.com/2011/06/13...
    Posted 13 years ago by Morticia Addams Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Here's the sheet music of the original song!  

imgur.com/a/8RGSs

The images are displaying in reverse order, for some reason, but they're all there.
    Posted 13 years ago by glum pudding Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @glum pudding - wow, good find! now we just need someone to pay the music! =D
    Posted 13 years ago by Morticia Addams Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you glum!  :)  great work tracking this down.  
  • I love it and I love it more with the accompaniment!
    Posted 13 years ago by Mistress*of*Fishies Subscriber! | Permalink
  • <3 <3 <3 I love this whole thread. Great job, Lelu and Danny!
    Posted 13 years ago by leah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I will miss this when the game goes live.
    Posted 13 years ago by Pirate Apples Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I agree with Pirate! :*( 

I think that's one of the the few things that makes me sad about the game going live.... :(
    Posted 13 years ago by NutMeg Botwin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Will there be maintenance shutdowns? It could still be used for those.....
    Posted 13 years ago by Jennyanydots Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm sure there's a way it could be incorporated into the game...  Maybe when you're AFK for a certain period of time or something...
  • Goodnight, Groddle should be music block.
    Posted 13 years ago by Mina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is just about the sweetest thing. :)
    Posted 13 years ago by emdot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh!!!  Music Block!!!!  Great idea!!

eta:  posted in ideas
  • How wonderful!!!
    Posted 13 years ago by Stormy Weather Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had a thought on this, too (though huge +1 for music block!). Why not play it the last minute before dawn every game day? Be a great audio reminder of new day coming and would fit in well then. Anyone else like this? I think I'll put in idea forum, too.
    Posted 13 years ago by RM Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't know...I think we should find something else for that...I mean, feels like it would make it less special at the EoT :-]
    Posted 13 years ago by Cupcake Subscriber! | Permalink
  • For those of you that were concerned about copyright anything published before 1920 (or it might be a little later) in the United States is in the public domain. I'm running from memory, but this little comic (which is for sale on the link) gives a more complete intro to the subject.

Bound By Law?

I have no equivalent for Canadian or other national laws, but things things are often bound by international treaties and such and are usually reciprocated. Also, since she created her own words and such,  @Lelu's version is in fact covered under U.S. Copyright. :) Her's!
    Her merely consenting in this open forum should be sufficient to give Tiny Speck release to introduce it into their public content. I'm an internationally published freelance writer and programmer who has a corporate background in compliance certification. in international manufacturing and sales.
    Posted 13 years ago by Fokian Fool Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 for the lovely lullaby becoming a Musicblock!!!
    Posted 13 years ago by Sayuri Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A musicblock would be great!

The copyright issue is pretty much settled, because (as far as we know) the music moved into the public domain long ago, and Lelu's version is a parody, and Danny hadn't even seen the original music when he wrote his accompaniment for Lelu's mp3.  The three ladies who wrote the original were likely born at the end of the 1800s, so it would be quite difficult to ask their feelings on the matter.
    Posted 13 years ago by glum pudding Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 to the Musicblock

@glum pudding - I only responded because the copyright question was left hanging by @stoot barfield with a "we'll go ahead and just deal with any consequences later" and @lelu was unsure if she could grant permission. Nothing created prior to about 1920 is protected by copyright. And @lelu converted what was in the public domain into a substantially different derivative work that she possesses an automatic copyright to. She can grant permission. Danny's actions came under "fair use" - done in-house for private use and enjoyment and what publication there was is through a limited access channel. And Tiny Speck should be just fine. I don't think @lelu is about to sue for copyright infringement. :)
  • So lovely, Lelu you have a wonderful voice!
    I vote for the music block too :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Zira Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, yes please. A music block would be great.  Such lovely singing Lelu!
    Posted 13 years ago by Cassandria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This song is sooo beautiful! Even if I didnt play glitch I would still like it
    Posted 13 years ago by Taylor Swift Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mister Cake likes your poem very much!
    You am a true poemet.
    Posted 13 years ago by Mister Cake Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm glad I saw this thread. This is really beautiful and I love the music Danny put with it. :) Nice work Lelu!
    Posted 13 years ago by Nea Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There's a lot of very beautiful things in Glitch. I think it bodes well for the future that one of the most beautiful of those beautiful things was a collaboration between Tiny Speck and the Community.

Rock on Glitches.
    Posted 13 years ago by Snazzlefrazz Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A LOT of contribution going on right now.
  • Thanks, Fokian Fool, for the well-considered information on copyright, and again props to Glum Pudding for the work on confirming original pub date. :)

Lest there be any confusion, I completely give permission for Tiny Speck to use this in Glitch.

I love Glitch and I appreciate the creators of this world so much! 
    I was inspired by Glitch to make something that came out really well.
    Danny added the lovely accompaniment and made it better.
    I am touched and honored that the TS dev team and community like my little lullaby. It makes me feel warm and happy inside every time someone says they enjoy it. 

I've met many wonderful new people in Glitch, and I hope that continues for a long while. :)
  • Just want to bump this.

I had heard your song before, Lelu, but today was the first time I enjoyed it during a real end of test. It was brilliant. Thank you!
    Posted 13 years ago by Ximenez Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What a pretty voice... Great song... It should be on a Music Block....
    Posted 13 years ago by sakmet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I wanted to thank you for making this, Lelu.  It makes me cry every single, and I'm not sure why.

Thank  you :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bumping this 'cause it's one of the best threads ever!!!
  • beautiful - nice to know where Glitch got it
    Posted 13 years ago by gimmegames Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @PA - I'm glad you bumped it, otherwise I would probably never have stumbled upon it. So, thank you so very much!!  :D

@Lelu - First, your voice is hauntingly beautiful. I had goosebumps listening to your lullaby for our Glitchien counterparts. Thank you for giving this to them. I too will be saddened to lose it when we go live.

In addition, I would also like for it to become a music block. At least one that testers could get... Maybe when we get a difficult set of music blocks. Or for getting so many sets of them.
    Posted 13 years ago by CoffeeSnob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ohh, what a wonderful Beta tester item, a Goodnight Groddle music block. 
    Posted 13 years ago by WindBorn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You have a great voice. The devs should set this up as the song that plays when the next beta test is over.
    Posted 13 years ago by BarryW Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Barry, the devs set this up as the last thing you hear at the end of the test about six weeks ago.  Hang around and you'll hear it.
    Posted 13 years ago by WindBorn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 for the Goodnight Groddle music block for beta testers! It's such a symbol of the tests...

To avoid giving an advantage in the game, it could be an item that can't be sold.
    Posted 13 years ago by Ximenez Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So wonderful- Especially to know that such a nice thing was inspired- and given back a thousand fold. I'm impressed.
    Posted 13 years ago by Zeezee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow as a newer tester, just about 4 weeks now, what a wonderful thread to come across.
    Just beautiful and so cool to know the history of the end of the test song kudos to all who made it happen. And most especially to Lelu. And thanks to Pirate Apples for bumping it!
    Posted 13 years ago by Saba Moon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Saba Moon - Much thanks to you for bumping it again. :)
  • Aww
    Didn't know the song was initiated by one of us glitches!
    Beautiful job lelu + staff
    Posted 13 years ago by Lemo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • when i heard it at shutdown, i wished i could listen to it again, or grab a soundfile to play for a friend i'm trying to explain this to, and i hoped it was going to become standard in the shutdowns.

kind of took the sting out.

now i've found this thread, i'm so happy!
    Posted 13 years ago by flask Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Great  to hear it at the real last end of the world party!
    Thanks for contributing awesomeness, Lelu !
    Posted 13 years ago by StevenSoul Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I made a special music block just for her and her song. I just posted another thread for it. I have the page source code and the several music formats already. I'll distribute them directly though only with the permission of TS and @Lelu.
  • thank you Lelu and Fokian:)
    Posted 13 years ago by mira gaia maia Subscriber! | Permalink