Topic

Forum Upgrade Card (anti-spam)

to avoid spammers, add an Upgrade Card that allows you to post to forums/groups. that way it makes it harder for spammers to post... spam

Posted 12 years ago by UXRoot Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• +1

(I can't believe we went this long without attracting spammers)
    Posted 12 years ago by Tibbi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1
    Posted 12 years ago by Airya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Subject: Dear Respected One,

Dear Respected One,

GREETINGS,

Permit me to inform you of my desire of going into business relationship with you. I received your contact information from %%randomwebsite%%. I prayed over it and selected your name among other names due to it's esteeming nature and the recommendations given to me as a reputable and trustworthy person I can do business with and by the recommendations I must not hesitate to confide in you for this simple and sincere business.

I am Crashtestpilot, of the Muufo Crashtestpilots. My father was a very wealthy salmon merchant in the Ancestral Lands, the economic capital of Ur before he was beaten into a bloody pulp by one of his business associates on one of their outings to discus on a business deal.

When my mother died on the 5th of Bruise, my father took me and my younger brother Crashtestmini into his home, because we were suddenly without the parents.

Before my father succumbed to his wounds, he secretly called me on his bedside and told me that he has a sum of 12.500.000 (Twelve Million, five hundred thousand currants) left in a secret hiding spot somewhere in Ur.

He also explained to me that it was because of this wealth and some huge amount of money his business associates supposed to balance his from the deal they had that I should seek for a Giant-fearing foreign partner in a country of my choice where I will transfer this money and use it for investment purpose, (such as taking over the market for Yellow Crumb Flower Seeds). Sir, we are honourably seeking your assistance in the following ways.

1) To provide a Bank account where this money would be transferred to.

2) To serve as the guardian of these funds, since I am not level 60 as yet.

Moreover Sir, we are willing to offer you 15% of the sum as compensation for effort input after the successful transfer of this fund to your designate account overseas. please feel free to contact ,me via this email address
    crashtestpilot@ur.glitch.bz

Anticipating to hear from you soon.
    Thanks and may Tii bless you and your loved ones,
    Best regards,
    Crashtestpilot
    Posted 12 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Crash, you are such a card. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Tibbi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ctp, that was a piece of art.
    Posted 12 years ago by Sturminator i` Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Dear Esteemed Ones,

Thank you.
    Posted 12 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That was priceless, CTP. :') To be on-topic though, I can't say I've noticed spammers yet so I'm undecided on whether this would be a + 1 or - 1 as a certain channel I go to attracts the wrong people anyway.
    Posted 12 years ago by Sarabanda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think I am in love with Crashtestpilot.

This week, one of my managers brought me a note, extraordinarly like (dare I say suspiciously like) the one above. And wanted to know what he should do with it.

My first response was "think." When he did not understand that, I suggested he consider the quality of the note. When he still did not understand, I told him to just throw the fax away.

/sigh/
    Posted 12 years ago by Kookaburra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sarabanda: There was a spam post in the forums earlier this week, I think that's what got the ball rolling on this suggestion.
    Posted 12 years ago by Aliera Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bump as we have some more spam today
    Posted 11 years ago by IrenicRhonda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Actually it would be nice to have a "report this post for abuse" link in the forums. As is when we need to report spam we have to go to Help then Report Abuse.
    Posted 11 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I can totally believe that about your manager, Kookaburra. I read a magazine article about these things some time ago, about people from my country who had fallen for such scams. Some of them were camping out in the countries their scammers lived in, trying to get some money back, or helping other victims; one or two had committed suicide after losing all their money - hundreds of thousands of €, most of them. I think all of the people scammed were well-off, and most owned their own small- to mid-sized businesses. One owned a car dealership for a major company, for example.

Somehow these write-ups seem to hit a chord with people who think they are really clever about business. And when they make the first payments without getting anything, they are so committed that they can't admit they were scammed and take their losses, but continue to throw in more money because there just has to be a payout at the end.

As for the suggestion - I see two problems with the way it would affect legitimate players. For one thing, someone new might experience technical difficulties that would not even let them get as far as buying the card, such as game loading problems. It would need to be made sure they could still get help for those. And then, there might be new players who would like to immediately take part in forum discussions, who would be prevented from doing so.

On the other hand, having such a card would point new people to the fact that there are active forums, which could be a good thing. So on the whole, I'm not sure.
    Posted 11 years ago by Not a Princess Subscriber! | Permalink