Topic

Recent change to Play Cube (is bad, IMO)

Yesterday I discovered that the Play Cube can no longer be dropped or placed.  You get the message, "This item is locked to you and cannot be dropped".  I thought it was a bug, but was told that no, it was intentional.

I'm going to make a giant guess here and assume this was done because of the minority of players who sold or donated their Cube and are now moaning the fact that they can no longer reminisce the quests on the Cube.

When decisions are made based on the minority who do stupid things, you demean the (majority) rest of us who are perfectly capable of making our own decisions.  

What next?  Are other quest items players foolishly sell or donate also going to get locked to us?  Emo bears and conchs?   This could rapidly get even more annoying.

Please, undo this "fix."

Posted 11 years ago by Moose J Finklestein Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• +500.  I don't even want to sell my play cube, but I don't want to carry it around everywhere, and I feel more secure with it in an SDB in my house than just sticking it in a cabinet...Plus I like the display.
    Posted 11 years ago by chilirlw Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1
    Posted 11 years ago by nekomaki Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1
    Posted 11 years ago by Janitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You don't have to carry it everywhere - can put it in a bag and drop the bag.
    Posted 11 years ago by FouRoux Subscriber! | Permalink
  • nope fouroux, they foresaw that too

+1 and never forget the faded heart, it has the same 'quality' of the cube
    the only possible way to don't carry it around seems to use a slot of a cabined or a SDB, still not very enjoyable for who has not a lot of free space at the lower levels
    Posted 11 years ago by Zean Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1
    Posted 11 years ago by Black-Eyed Susan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hmm... guess this has in effect rendered my play cube unusable, since I can't take it out of my SDB now, because if I did, I wouldn't be able to put it back in. Therefore, doesn't this have the opposite of the intended effect?

I think it looks cool in the box, and I want it to stay there. And it's not something I need to use much, so I have no interest in permanently losing an inventory space to something which is primarily of aesthetic value to me.
    Posted 11 years ago by Jus​tin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1
    Posted 11 years ago by Santa Clause Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Something else I just realized: Other uncommon items (yeti for example) aren't player-locked. I've heard lots of horror stories of people donating their yetis by accident (a much more valuable item than the play cube), but it can still be dropped or placed in an SDB like anything else. I don't see why the play cube should be any different.
    Posted 11 years ago by Jus​tin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 I like to store items I don't use often (such as my faded heart and play cube) either on display in my house or cabinet so it's not mucking up my inventory. Besides, it looks great when placed on a shelf.
    Posted 11 years ago by Ayasta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't want to do anything apart from play then put it back on a shelf where it was happily sitting most of the time since I got it and now it's 'This item is locked to you and can't be dropped'. Locked is fine, glued to my hip isn't!
    Posted 11 years ago by Benzyl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I drop my bags often and ran into this change this morning.  I put my play cube in one of my cabinets, which is probably not a bad place for it.  
    Posted 11 years ago by WalruZ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1
    Posted 11 years ago by Aurora Dellaterra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 and +1 again on the faded heart too. 

After they fixed the bug of with hearts on the ground from the move, I put it on a pedestal and left it there.  Accidentally picked it up a few weeks ago, and couldn't place it again.  Pissed me off -- that deco was something I appreciated and was planning an entire room around. 

My playcube is currently on that same pedestal.  I guess I will never use it again. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Saucelah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Honestly, it's not like it's difficult to acquire a playcube.  Anyone dumb enough to buy one deserves to lose the currants.  Tiny Speck doesn't need to hold their hands. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Saucelah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ugh, good thing I already put mine in the attic.
    Posted 11 years ago by Cinnamon Petrichor Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My suggestion would be that special things we really shouldn't drop (play cube, conch, etc) could be placed in a special "bag" that isn't part of the inventory
    Posted 11 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • At least I was (I forget how) able to nuke my greeting stick. Really had wanted to display that too.
  • Mines in an SDb.....doesnt look like im moving it now...but i may put it in a cabinet anyway.....and yes i agree this is annoying, along with other quest locked items, i dont see why we cant just trade whatever.....and yes i hate punish the whole becasue of mistakes of a few...type clauses.
    Posted 11 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had already requested that the Conch, Play Cube, etc. would be able to be placed into Tool Box, the least! But never heard back... Now this?! C'mon devs!!!!
    Posted 11 years ago by elka Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Finding it odd that although I can not drop my own cube, I can pick up and drop cubes in houses I have keys for.
    Posted 11 years ago by Bertrum Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1
    Posted 11 years ago by Bluebunny Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Cubes in the toolbox woud be excellent.
    Posted 11 years ago by Tibbi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • They should just make it only droppable in your house or something. I don't want to accidentally be an idiot, but I should be able to leave it at home!
    Posted 11 years ago by Lady Cailia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes, I'm disappointed with change as I don't want to carry it around. I had it in an SDB and now can't put it back :( 

I don't think being soulbound is a bad thing of itself. Soulbound furniture can be used in your own house or tower. The Playcube, plus faded heart, should be soulbound but be placable in or on any furniture in your own house or tower
    Posted 11 years ago by IrenicRhonda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I took mine out of the SDB to use. Its a pain it wont go back in there, but it went fine in a cupboard.
    Same goes for the faded heart. If I had a glass fronted display cabinet this would work for me for items I cannot drop but want to show off and keep protected.
    Posted 11 years ago by jiva Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Attaching quest reminiscences to an irreplaceable item was IMO a mistake. Forcing us to keep the item in our bags or cabinets because you didn't foresee players losing the item was an even bigger mistake.

Unlock the Playcube and once a player has finished the quest, make a replacement available for purchase at Toy Vendors. It would also be good if players who have lost their conchs could purchase another from a vendor in Jal. (Since conchs fit the water theme.)
    Posted 11 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bearing in mind that vendors are going to be phased out, maybe the rock or butler could restock the single-instance items for the players, as needed.
  • +1 Lucille! 
    Posted 11 years ago by Fernstream Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1
    Posted 11 years ago by Finley Linker Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like schexy's idea - put the cube, the conch, the heart, whatever into a space like our key ring, accessible through our iMG cloud.  That way they don't get lost or misplaced or accidentally given away, but at the same time, they don't take up precious precious inventory spaces.
    Posted 11 years ago by Zoethor2 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just put the useless items into my attic.

Not saying the cube is.  The heart, on the other hand....
    Posted 11 years ago by MrSchism Subscriber! | Permalink
  • MrSchism - the problem is that you can't put these into your attic anymore.  You can't drop them there.  Your only options are your bags or your cabinets.

I completely agree that at least being able to drop it inside your house would be useful.  Perhaps make it like a still/icon/etc., where no one else could pick it up after you place it.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kadi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What if the reminiscences were also available in the iMG cloud? Then it's up to each player whether they want to keep their conch or cube for reminiscing or discard the item and use the iMG cloud.

I have very selfish reasons for not wanting the conchs to be in a cloud/keyring as Shexxy has suggested. I think my conch looks awesome sitting on my aquarium and I would be sad if I couldn't put it there any more.
    Posted 11 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think all special objects should be able to be placed around our homes since that's what a lot of us want to do with them.  Like Lucille, now that I have a beautiful conch I don't want it to become something other than an object I can hold and move around.  I agree that there could be a backup way to reminisce the quests if you have accidentally or intentionally gotten rid of your playcube/conch (if not a way to replace the item).

Can they be locked to us in the sense that we can't drop them outside or donate them, but are allowed to place them anywhere in our homes?
    Posted 11 years ago by Persephone Pear Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Persephone, I agree completely. Aside from being able to display (and occasionally play or play with) them would be much better than locking them away in a cupbord.

But like most people here, I don't want to have to schlep them around UR... Wellll maybe the conch. I like to play it. :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Snickersnee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ugh. 
    Soulbound please.
    Posted 11 years ago by caley dunn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Really need to allow stupid things, sometimes. And at least if I want to drop something (anything -- a cube, a bag containing a cube) in my own house (!!), don't stop me!
    Posted 11 years ago by SuperGerbil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've always been sorry that early on I dropped my faded heart and lost it forever. These special one-time objects need to be displayable in our homes or towers and retrievable and non-vendable.

Imo.
    Posted 11 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • *bumping* where are jooooo TS
    Posted 11 years ago by elka Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would like to put my cube in a display box and be able to use it whenever I feel like it, however I was slightly irritated that it must take up an inventory slot instead. Perhaps it is time for a special carrier for such things and an extra inventory slot for it to go in if we cannot display them thus keeping them safe, and use them at will. Right now I have too many tools for the two toolboxes I have, but not enough tools for a third box and I really don't like taking up another inventory bag's space for another bag or box of any kind.
    Posted 11 years ago by Doctor Hoo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You can stick it in a cabinet in your house.
    Posted 11 years ago by Lord Bacon-o Subscriber! | Permalink
  • True, Lord Bacon-o, but some of us (me included) would like to display them
    Posted 11 years ago by chilirlw Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 Lucille Ball
    Posted 11 years ago by AwesomeCardinal2000 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 we are capable of making our own decisions, if we want to sell the cube, that's cuz we have other one (2nds or 3rds accounts) or we are stupid...but i believe (most XD) people here are not stupid...pls staff unlock the play cube!
    Posted 11 years ago by lolol Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1
    Posted 11 years ago by Shogo_Yahagi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Can't they apply the same set of rules to the cube, the conch, and the heart that they have on the first set of furniture that you get with your house? That furniture that you can't give away, can't sell, can't do anything with, except for that you can place it in your own house. Shouldn't be too much of a stretch to apply the same rule system to the special objects as well.
    Posted 11 years ago by Twinkle Star Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Actually I wish I could get rid of some of that initial set of furniture...
    Posted 11 years ago by zwol Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1
    Posted 11 years ago by PzSniper Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1
    Posted 11 years ago by Figmentalia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1  Twinkle Star

And if I can't put them down, I'd at least like to be able to put them in a toolbox.
    Posted 11 years ago by E D D I E Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If i can swallow a flute then i should be able to swallow the cube, heart and conch..its only logical - well as logic is applied to Glitch, that is.

Then I can access those items as needed.  It really pissed me off that when I took my cube off the shelf I could not replace it there.  It was perfectly fine on the shelf so if (TS) you want to change it, fine, change it.  But make it (as suggested upthread) such that we have them part of us and not an item as such anymore.

But give us deco items that are cheap, so we can have them on the shelf or sdb like they were - folks enjoyed that, ok?
    Posted 11 years ago by ☣ elf ☣ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • TL;DR responses but, you can place your play cube in a cabinet. Also, the play cube has coding that ties back to what quests a player has and has not done. The cube going to another player causes untold havok with bits and bobs of coding all over the place.
    Posted 11 years ago by Addi Bee~♥ Subscriber! | Permalink