Topic

Animal color palettes

Right now, pigs, chickens, and butterflies are all the same colors.  This means that if I have two pigs and five chickens and three butterflies (and I do), I can't tell them apart - it's especially tricky with the butterflies and the pigs because harvesting from them is a two-step process and I have to grab the same one.  What if, in addition to being able to rename animals with the right skill, you could recolor them?  Pigs have a base color, a spot color, and trotters; chickens have a base color, and tail/wing markings, and comb/beak/feet; butterflies have a gradient from one color to another and wing edge markings.  Even if that would be too complicated and there were just a handful of stock palettes to choose from it would be neat.  You could also turn it into an item, maybe, if it needed to be more difficult to do for some reason - "pig paint" or whatever.

Posted 11 years ago by Alicorn24 Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Very cool idea.

Maybe instead of paint, the item could be a potion that you feed to or sprinkle on them?
    Posted 11 years ago by Adelene Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hopefully somthing similar to this is happening soon. If you look at your personal invite page, you'll notice an orange butterfly in the top right, next to the blue one :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Muncey Mango Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like this idea a lot - Even if animals changed colour for just us as they were interacted with for example:

A pig starts off one colour - after being petted it changes - after being nibbled it changes again - giving a clear indication of which animals we have not yet tended.
    Posted 11 years ago by Potian Dragoon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Automatic color change would be an interesting idea, if a bit thematically odd. Maybe there could be an item of some sort to turn that on and off? Have it work like a buff; click your critter goggles and 'wear' to activate the buff, 'take off' to deactivate the buff, and you can't drop the goggles if you're wearing them?

Actually if we're going to address the gathering issue itself rather than customizing individual animals in general, I'd kind of rather see something more like the firefly whistle - different instruments, and you play them to get a temporary buff that attracts animals of whatever type that can be harvested, and then when you're done harvesting a particular animal it wanders off? I don't think that differentiating individual animals is necessary, in this case - if I play my pig banjo and attract two pigs, and pet one and then pet the other, petting the second one doesn't make it so the first one can't be nibbled.
    Posted 11 years ago by Adelene Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1
    Harvesting from butterflies is particularly fiesty as mousing over them and clicking multiple times as they fly around takes a while for me, and sometimes I've found that the one I snagged was already harvested, even though I've given them nicknames. Plus, as somebody who likes my animals, I'd love to be able to customize their looks. :DD
    Posted 11 years ago by Norkia Subscriber! | Permalink