Topic

Global chat frustrating!...we want options!

Dear Santa..TS..GOD..:.
All I would like for Glitchmas is a new chat channel for game chatting(everything related to the game itself).
Here are the reasons why:
 Some would say  you can go to Global chat for that, but most of the time global chat is taken over by non game related subject  and everything else is lost in the conversation. I have seen people ask or say something game related in Global and get no replies from anyone there. Their non game related conversation just continues. 

Some would say join Groups chats...that is fine but we would have to join almost every single group out there and try to fit our game related conversation with the specific group hoping someone else from that group is logged in the game. We all know that Trade channel if for trading/buying/selling only.

It would be nice to have a channel where you could go to discuss game related subject, quests,   techniques...anything you could think about that is related to the game. Absolutely no religion, politics, sex, swearing, bad language, racism, etc...would be permitted on that channel. It would really be a  Game channel.  It would be very useful during feats, or if people need others to complete quests. It would be very helpful to the new-comers to the game. After all isn't this game mostly about glitchens helping other glitchens?  Very often I would have liked to help out «newbies» but my chat was lost amongst other non-game related subjects on Global.  A lot of Glitchens do not even go on global because of certain subjects  that are discussed and/or the language that is sometimes used on there.

How lovely would it be to have a chat channel solely for game related discussions.
Edited to change wording of Global Game channel to Game channel

Posted 11 years ago by Jeasilver Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

Previous 1 2
  • +1million

I like this Idea a lot, If I wanted to chat I'd go to global but things game related get lost there, I used to be a global fan but I dont visit there often now. so yes i support this idea

LOVE SANTA
    Posted 11 years ago by Santa Clause Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I agree. I need help with a few group related quests but whenever I go into Group chat, it's about...something not Glitch related and I feel stupid if I ask "hey guys could you help me with that quest?" when it's about cats/politics/real life something. I mean I don't do that in real life either, change topic when people talk about something else, so maybe I need to learn that? But I would appreciate the game chat a lot.
    Posted 11 years ago by yashila Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Here here. Sometimes I open Global and I close it right back up. It would be nice to have an environment for just game talk. That I might enjoy.
    Posted 11 years ago by Osiris χ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • + 100. The reason why I've never gone to ask anything in Global is exactly this, it'd be lovely if people could just pop in to a channel to ask questions or discuss anything game-related.
    Posted 11 years ago by Sarabanda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Respectfully, I enjoy Global the way it is.
    Alternate channels are also good. Let's go make those, then.
    Posted 11 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Crashpilot: I am not suggesting that Global be taken away, on the contrary, we can have Global and also another channel for Game Chatting only.
  • I'm not sure if you've tried these yet:
    Help channel
    Glitch Strategy group
    http://www.glitch.com/groups/RIFMOJS39CB1ULP/

They both are for all game related questions. You're right about people on Global not having their game questions answered, though. 98% of the time those there are too busy talking about 8oo8s.

Edit: ah, you're a level 60. Scratch that first bit, then as I'm pretty sure you've heard of those, and help channel is not for chatting ;)
    Posted 11 years ago by N2ZOrtolanaBlue Subscriber! | Permalink
  • -1, Disagree

Global is like "All Things Considered" in a way, and there are already other avenues for more focused chatting. Creating a separate official chat channel for game-only discussion would most likely create an empty channel - it might be busy at first but over time most people would just switch over to Global anyway.
    Posted 11 years ago by Godiva Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I agree with Jeasilver global chat is like "off topic" chat - when I was new it was a nightmare getting any help with simple stuff I did not really want to bother live help with or questions answered about the game, even though I was directed to global a lot It was never helpful its far too general.

I disagree with Godiva completely - I do not use global chat its too chaotic and I do not enjoy it - I  would use a channel completely dedicated to game related chat only a lot - It would be a relief to talk about the game with out the constant interruptions of "boobies" "ponies" and "vampires" - I think it would be an asset to Glitch.

+1
    Posted 11 years ago by Potian Dragoon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • global could be renamed social
    so there would be the social chat and the game chat, to avoid confusion :u
    +1
    Posted 11 years ago by Zean Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just a note to say don't be shy to ask a question in Live Help, we all have questions at times (I had to ask them something yesterday).  They are very helpful and patient.

I would probably be more likely to use a dedicated game chat channel.  Global tends to be a bit frantic, which some people like and I am not complaining :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Parsley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • global literally gives me a headache trying to keep up with a dozen different simultaneous discussions. truthfully i only go on there when i'm drunk and bored. there, i said it :p i don't know how anyone has it open while they're actually trying to be in game.

but yeah, sometimes it's so busy that by the time i type my answer to someone asking for help, i'm sure they never saw it as it got lost in the flurry. or, i ask a question and no one answers. +1 to leaving global as is for those who enjoy it, and adding a game chat channel for the rest of us. if it isn't that busy, i'd prefer it, that wouldn't be a negative for me, lol!
    Posted 11 years ago by jerk nugget Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would love to have two channels, divided into social and game. Great idea!
    Posted 11 years ago by twinkletoe Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Renaming it "Social" is on the right I think, but I like the idea of calling it "Melting Pot", or perhaps "Yes-Yes"

The real issue is one of the UI however. There is no good way to have multiple conversation panes open such that you could segment "game chat", "8oo8s", and even though we already have a channel for it, "Trading".

Edit: Or perhaps we should rename it "The Joint"
    Posted 11 years ago by Sturminator i` Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think that game chat is a great idea. But I ALSO think that global chat should be nuked from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
    Posted 11 years ago by katlazam Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Help Chat.
    Posted 11 years ago by ☣ elf ☣ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I agree.  Religion, politics, sex and all that other crap does not belong in games to begin with.  I had to shut global down today because of the ignorance of people arguing over who to vote for and what religion reigned supreme and all that other crap.  If you want to talk about that crap go to a forum designed for those talks.  Keep game chat clean of it or give us a game specific channel where talking about such topics is forbidden and punishable.  I come here to enjoy my time and chat with other people who are enjoying their time playing the same game as me.  I was trying to help some people earlier but the off topic conversations just drowned out all hope of anything and I had to 1 on 1 with people to get a sentence out.
    Posted 11 years ago by Pinhead Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like this.  Live Help is really just for help with technical issues and gameplay - it's not a good place for strategy discussion, or asking for help with a quest aka "Can someone come dig dirt with me".  A channel specifically for people to organize quest/badge tasks and discuss strategy would be nice.  And as much as you can say "Join a Group", no group is ever going to have the same degree of participation as a TS-created default chat would.

So it's a +1 from me.
    Posted 11 years ago by Zoethor2 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, and I like Global just the way it is.  Boobs, ponies, and angry political discussions included.  :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Zoethor2 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • agreed with all the comments! i've been using the Civility group for all my game-chat needs, but groups are by nature so limited that I'd really prefer a default-for-all-members chat. +1
    Posted 11 years ago by beBlueberry Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've met some of my favorite players on Global, and had real conversations sprinkled amongst talk of bacon bras and the like.  Isn't Live Help available for game questions?   Haven't people made chat channels where they won't have to read about ham wallets and blue waffles and leave the rest of us sinners in peace?

Asking TS to spend energy creating a "safe chat" that you have the means to create yourself via groups seems redundant.  Sorry that you don't like the discussions on Global.  I don't always like 'em either, but that's what happens when everyone has a seat at the table.  
    Posted 11 years ago by Sloppy Ketchup Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 for Blue Waffles, which are awesome with real butter.
    Posted 11 years ago by ☣ elf ☣ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • but sloppy ketchup, global won't last forever either way - the devs have said that it just won't be able to scale up as the game goes live and the playerbase gets bigger.  the actual quote from stoot was "Global chat will go away sometime soon".  granted that was 14 months ago but as we know, 'soon' can be a very fluid concept around these parts.

so at this point, it's apparently not even a question of if but when, and how (what it will be replaced by).  and whatever that new scalable chat will look like, i think a games-focused chat sounds like a great option to have.

something like this might also possibly be a really good place for new players who might be overwhelmed, spoiled, or just plain scared off by global chat and who are too new to know that they need to find and join a particular group in order to chat about the game without having to see, say, elf being elf or arguments about Language or mysterious blank line spamming or whatever.

i would also be really interested in a new 'regional vs random' (original) discussion at some point or some indication of what the devs are thinking on this question these days.   or maybe someday there will be that followup Q&A session we were promised back at the beginning of the year and we can ask abut such burning questions... but now i'm just dreaming  ;)
    Posted 11 years ago by katlazam Subscriber! | Permalink
  • While live help is available for game questions, as Zoethor2 points out above it's not intended for questions like "can someone help me with the peat quest?", or as I asked in global yesterday, "who has piggy 'hi' signs today?". Like it or not, global has a couple of different functions. Yes, we talk about any- and everything, but at the moment, it's also a place where people can and will seek help from other players.

The current struggle to be heard, whether it's a random convo or a game-based question, suggests to me that we're starting to see the evidence of global not scaling well, as was first discussed about a year ago. Creating a game discussion channel might be a solution, but so might instituting instances of global, or regional group chats. There likely isn't a solution we'll all be happy with, but eventually, something's gotta give.

ETA: *high-fives katlazam* ...this is what I get for typing laboriously on my phone. :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Voluptua Sneezelips Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like the idea but I think what's missing is simply a group dedicated to that kind of discussion (group which I would join in a heartbeat). As someone said, asking the staff to manage two chats --Live and Game-- would be too much.
    Posted 11 years ago by Apolline Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What Voluptua said.
    Oh wait, just got a dejà-vù...
    Posted 11 years ago by Zira Subscriber! | Permalink
  • katlazam, I do remember toot [typo, but it stays] saying that group halls would mean the demise of Global chat way back when.  Global has been, for me, the best place to meet new players that I connect with.  I understand the scaling problem, and I think that Voluptua Sneezelip's solution of instanced Global sounds fabulous (though I have to wonder about the possibility of eleven different Globals simultaneously talking about boobs and what effect that might have on the fabric of the universe).  I think that Glitch is well served by Global's varying function/dysfunction.  
    Posted 11 years ago by Beeneedles! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • the thing about groups (for me) is - i'm not going to sit there and refresh the page until someone answers me. chances are if i asked in a group who could help me with something, by the time i got a reply i'd be busy with something else. maybe it would be better if/when glitch institutes a way to receive an alert when someone replies to a post (like on livejournal where you could set a setting, or pin a thread you wanted to keep up with).

groups are good for things like, if i want someone to help me with furniture. but when i'm in game just dicking around and thinking 'hey, i could do that quest now!' i'd prefer something more loose and instantaneous. whether we can have that from a technical standpoint, well, i'll admit i've got no expertise there! ;D
  • @jerk nugget: groups have chats too. I belong to a group where everybody's willing to help each other out and asking for help in group chat is how we did some quests/achievements. The group page itself is only for welcome posts, announcements,...
    Posted 11 years ago by Apolline Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i don't get a thing about groups as solution....
    it's assumed global is global and who wants to talk about the game needs to go in a group, why isn't the opposite? :/
    well, if global has always been like it is now then it would have a sense, but i'm quite new here so dunno

@sturm lal, i was trying to not be too blunt xD

edit. while browsing the going-to-be-soon-closed threads just found one of the many attempts to ask for this
    http://www.glitch.com/forum/ideas/28032/
    Posted 11 years ago by Zean Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I adore Global chat. Sometimes I actually open the game, pop into my house and hit the decoration mode to prevent killing my glitch because I am randomly lonely and want to chat on Global.

BUT: I agree that having a chat for JUST gameplay related stuff would be good, especially as we open up and get more noobs. Frankly, it's in part my love of Global that makes me support this, as I suspect we are going to get more and more stick in the mud types who bitch and whine about how horrible global is as we get more and more people.
    Posted 11 years ago by Murri Subscriber! | Permalink
  • sounds like an ok idea, but personally I am offended at your implication that racist chat or otherwise offensive  chat behaviour is currently acceptable to other players in global. 

I cannot think of a single instance I've seen where a player who has made such chat comments has not instantly been called out for their unacceptable comments. And if you have seen them, and not told them they're being offensive in saying those sorts of things, then shame on you not us.

Why not simply create YOUR OWN Game Channel group and encourage those players above that agree with you that global is too chaotic to join it, then you can all go and chat together
    Posted 11 years ago by Arietty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 to what Arietty just mentioned. While we do talk about boobs, bacon & kittens, we do not put up with racist, homophobic, bigoted, etc stuff in Global. And yeah, if you see that and don't speak up, shame on you. I NEVER let it go and ignore it, so I have room to "throw stones" on that score. Don't whine here: tell someone it's not "ok" when they do it. Global is only as good as we make it.

But yeah, if you are horribly offended by people swearing and talking about real life, their real feelings and problems, fandoms, boobs, sharing pics of their cute kittens/puppies, etc, stay out of Global.

And no, Groups isn't a solution. 
  • @apolline - i know they have chats, i've just never seen them be useful. i'd get more response posting in a forum-type discussion, but of course it would take way longer in comparison to an IM-type convo. (apologies, i realize my comment was not clear and that's totally on me.)

esp for noobs, who are the most likely to want to pop in with questions, not search for groups, i still think there has got to be some kind of in between solution. (but let the record state i'm all for global sticking around for awhile.)
  • @arietty & Murri: I never said I was offended by what goes on in Global. The problem is that when point of views are not accepted, which some should not be, it is then that Global is taken over by such long discussions on who is in the wrong or by what is acceptable and what is not.
    I am not there to tell someone whether or not they are being jerks and take up global channel trying to defend my point of view. 

If you had read my post closely you would have seen what I am trying to say is you can have your Global channel to talk  «about real life, your real feelings and problems, fandoms, boobs, sharing pics of their cute kittens/puppies, etc»
    What a lot of us are asking & not «whinning» is that we would like to see a chat channel dedicated to the game play.
    After all isn't this the Ideas forum?
  • Jeasilver - what you said was 'Absolutely no religion, politics, sex, swearing, bad language, racism, etc...would be permitted on that channel.'

The implication being that racism etc is currently acceptable - which is most definitely is not
  • Arietty: :) I'm going to let you do all the 'splaining. You have it exactly.
  • I had mentioned several times that we should have a channel where people could ask questions about the game or ask for help; some sort of a mentoring channel. We don't really have a channel that would mostly involve game topics, in general. 

It seems true that people are intimidated, irritated, or frustrated with global. I don't think it's just me. There's a bunch of conversations going on and if you try to ask questions, there are times when you feel bad because you ask a question. It does also seem like you're intruding in the conversations that a small group is involved in. Sometimes I've felt like I'm in the way because there's some intimate conversation going on in there. 

I had left global for a couple of weeks but came back when feats were back on. I wanted to help or do something to be part of the community doing stuff in game that was related to the game. 

I am not saying global should be gotten rid of. Some of the people in there I see adore just being part of the crazy in global (I do sometimes). A lot of the time I just read bits and pieces, as global is often a quick run of conversations.  I just think we could use another outlet for communication that's paced a little slower or where the level of crazy could be toned down. 

The way we have channels set up, Global channel is the channel where we get updates and the most information about the game when things like feats or game changes occur. It's frustating asking questions there and just getting ignored. I know that's not always the case but maybe it happens often enough that it may warrant some attention rather than just be told "If you don't like Global, stay out" or "Global is the bestest channel, you just don't get it". 
    Posted 11 years ago by kepi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 kepi.  
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Parsley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +(big number) to adding a Game Chat.
    Posted 11 years ago by Dr. Foxsocks Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @arietti : please read what I mentioned again. Absolutely no religion, politics, sex, swearing, bad language, racism, etc...would be permitted on that channel.

Please stop putting words into my mouth that I did not say or implied.There is a difference between permitted and accepted.  No where in my post did I say that they were accepted. In my personal opinion, none of these subjects are acceptable in game. I was saying permitted in the sense that some go on Global and bring up these subjects whether they be acceptable or not. Which is why a lot of us would like to see a completely separate Game channel for game related chat only.
  • I agree with this idea. I have always wanted something like this implemented (a sort of strategy/mentoring/quest help channel) This used to be global but let's face it, global doesn't do that anymore. Live Help is for technical issues, not very useful for strategy discussions or quest help. Staff do not really moderate global chat, and I do not think any staff resources will be spent on moderating this. There are several helpful groups, yes, but a group chat is not sufficient, imho. I hope the devs give some consideration to adding something like this (in addition to global, trade and the regular live help channel.)

ETA: +1 to kepi, katlazam and Voluptua
    Posted 11 years ago by natsumi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think global is fine the way it is.  If you don't get an answer ask until you do.

I have had to do this. Likely most have. Ask, ask again.  Don't assume that your question will get an answer and you're ok.

Also- I have seen some rude people get mean when they try once and don't get an answer. Maybe they are asking something no one at the time has an answer for.

It takes patience. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Thursday Soleil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 for game channel (as proposed, in addition to global)
    Posted 11 years ago by Persephone Pear Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Jeasilver- racist comments etc are already not permitted as per the glitch ToS and nor would it be acceptable if they were. This is in part, what I was pointing out.  Personally I choose not to discuss religion as (being an atheist) it's too easy to inadvertently offend someone.  

Please go ahead and set up a game question chat group in the meantime, you may find that several of these sorts of groups exist already if you explore just a little.
  • Global as it is currently , often it scrolls WAY too fast to read...for starters. But yes Global does have quite a few different functions, Feats,Quests,Badges, as well as general chit chat. Groups work for some things....I had a group a while back....and dismantled it because of non-activity and the ppl in the group ALL had to be on my friends / contacts list. So there is an issue with groups and large numbers. Also ANY group were in should let us know when other members are on....without having to keep the window open! A checkmark or highlighted, # of ppl online or SOMETHING. As for Global its going to need additional channels as the game grows, so please...can we add Global 2 now? (also when you click on Global have it ask you which channel you want...as eventually there may be more(in time)and i don't mean 2.0, (which is a group) i mean an additional permanent channel. IF we can get rid of the having to have the person on the friends list requirement for groups it WOULD allow groups to be much larger, limits on numbers, and clogging up group administrators friends list, especially since we can only have 1000 friends is NOT helping the future of groups.
    Posted 11 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lyrical, what do mean by having to have people in the groups on your friends list? That is very much not true. There are tons of people in the two group chats I'm regularly in that aren't on my friends list, and I can chat with them just fine. If I want to know who's on in the group chat, I can do /who (assuming it's not bugging).

And while I adore global, and I answer every single question there that I can (a number of you on here joke with me about my copy & pasted answers :P), I think renaming it to social and adding a game channel would be beneficial.  There are times a question or answer gets lost in the chat, and live help directs people to global often enough for answers (especially spoilery answers) that it would be nice to know for sure your question would be heard, even if no one has the answer.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kadi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If it would clear out the spammers and the people who complain about 'unacceptable' topics in Global, I could go for the addition of a 'Game Strategy' channel.

It would give us a place to encourage the never-ending and tiresome "I need three lvl 3-5 players to come to my street Nao!" spammers to relocate themselves to.

I don't think it would quiet the wannabe censors and the bowderizers, though, and that is a pity. Maybe a Diznee Channel, too? (or does The Mouse send lawyers after homophones?)

ETA: (maybe that should be "Homophone-like Proper Nouns.")
    Posted 11 years ago by Tatsuo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 to gameplay related chat, great idea!
    Posted 11 years ago by Sare Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like the idea.
    Posted 11 years ago by Amberfox Subscriber! | Permalink
Previous 1 2