Topic

Global chat frustrating!...we want options!

Dear Santa..TS..GOD..:.
All I would like for Glitchmas is a new chat channel for game chatting(everything related to the game itself).
Here are the reasons why:
 Some would say  you can go to Global chat for that, but most of the time global chat is taken over by non game related subject  and everything else is lost in the conversation. I have seen people ask or say something game related in Global and get no replies from anyone there. Their non game related conversation just continues. 

Some would say join Groups chats...that is fine but we would have to join almost every single group out there and try to fit our game related conversation with the specific group hoping someone else from that group is logged in the game. We all know that Trade channel if for trading/buying/selling only.

It would be nice to have a channel where you could go to discuss game related subject, quests,   techniques...anything you could think about that is related to the game. Absolutely no religion, politics, sex, swearing, bad language, racism, etc...would be permitted on that channel. It would really be a  Game channel.  It would be very useful during feats, or if people need others to complete quests. It would be very helpful to the new-comers to the game. After all isn't this game mostly about glitchens helping other glitchens?  Very often I would have liked to help out «newbies» but my chat was lost amongst other non-game related subjects on Global.  A lot of Glitchens do not even go on global because of certain subjects  that are discussed and/or the language that is sometimes used on there.

How lovely would it be to have a chat channel solely for game related discussions.
Edited to change wording of Global Game channel to Game channel

Posted 11 years ago by Jeasilver Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 Next
  • +1 

I like to idea of a gameplay related chat. I also think it may be the solution to other issues... It may just be me, but I get terribly annoyed when people rudely tell others to take their "non-related chat elsewhere". I understand why, and I completely agree, but it still seems rude to tell someone to go away when they're just seeking an answer that they can't get from Global. 

(Although, I think if we do have one, we shouldn't be rude if topic may steer off a little. It's bound to happen.)
    Posted 11 years ago by Fawnie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @thursday - the whole "if you don't get an answer, ask until you do" strategy is not useful. that's annoying for the asker and for the group. despite not going in global often because it really is just too much for me to keep up with and game simultaneously, every time i've been in i see someone trying that strategy and it's either a wall of silence and/or people getting annoyed that they said something more than once, or joking about them. it doesn't hurt my ~*feelingz*~ or anything, but i'd hate to be the noob who dares ask for something more than once and then just gets teased out of the room.

pretty much every other social site i've been a part of has been like this, it's nothing new. and it does get old hearing the same stuff over and over, so it'd be cool to have a place for it. like kadi, i've been teased a couple times for offering up the same links and answers, but i can't sit there while an easily answered question goes, well, unanswered.

also a +1 to lyrical's idea for having the group chat's title highlighted or a visible number counter when it is active. sometimes i go into mine and it says people are there, but no one is talking about anything or *really* present. and of course the less stuff open for me the better!
    Posted 11 years ago by jerk nugget Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I can't stand global, so much sniping, back stabbing and nastiness that I just rarely go there now. That's my only opinion on that...!

+1 to having a game channel!
    Posted 11 years ago by katykicker Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1
    Posted 11 years ago by EmiB Subscriber! | Permalink
  • To clarify....when you are a Group Administrator in order to invite anyone you need to have them on your friends list, this is different than being a member to any group. I think you can unfriend ppl once they are members, but then there';s the catch that you can't MAIL them in-game if they aren't a friend. So you can see how this is rather flawed and a complete PITA.
    Posted 11 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +10000  There needs to be some additional glitch sponsored rooms to discuss things.  I would even like to see, perhaps, some rooms based on levels etc.
    Posted 11 years ago by Mell Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Lyrical

Oooooh!  I didn't realize that you couldn't invite without friending. Most of the groups I'm in are open or applied membership, so I didn't know.  :)  Thanks for explaining!
    Posted 11 years ago by Kadi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Its ok.... :)When i did have a group i remember getting into issues with, those friends i was pretty close with, those in the group, and the friends list would be HORRIBLY long because of that. And in turn gets harder to manage. And to complicate matters you cant mail ppl without them being friends, yes you can friend and un-friend , but that takes time and can get confusing trying to remember who is and isn't, anyway....it would help if at least we didnt have to friend everyone just to use the mail......that aside....another Global Chat of some sort would help...its hard to keep up with Global, it scrolls so FAST now....so please another channel!
    Posted 11 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Love this idea. 
    Posted 11 years ago by PixeIs Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1
    Great idea!
    Posted 11 years ago by ~Keiko~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 this would be a great thing to have for those who dont really enjoy the Global chat and want to talk about more game related things:)
    Posted 11 years ago by Scatha Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I can make a group for chatting in game stuff!  I think it will be fun! and you will always get an answer to a question, response to you need, stuff like that! Glitch Chat! every thing you said global chat IS NOT will be in this group!
    Posted 11 years ago by Sad Pollen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1! Global is so confusing - so many topics going on! A channel devoted to glitch would be good *u*
    Posted 11 years ago by menthia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • One of the things I've always liked about Glitch is all the power that is given to the players. If you want a chatroom devoted only to gameplay discussion...go ahead and make a group! Promote it! Have fun! It even comes with a fourm!
    Posted 11 years ago by QuinnR Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1  Yes, Please!
    Posted 11 years ago by Ravenfeather Noir Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 to creating an official alternative channel for game chat only (less strict than Help),

-100000000000 to all suggestions of limiting Global in any way. Why the hell shouldn't we chat about non-game stuff while playing? 
    Posted 11 years ago by Cefeida Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 

Why not? 
    Posted 11 years ago by Reirei Umezaki Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I want to reiterate, this is a UI problem -- it does not work well to try to participate in multiple chat sessions. Try using global + trade + a private chat -- it is a mess.

So yes, it would be easy enough to use a "group" to segregate out "xyz" chatter -- but to do so with the current UI essentially means abandoning Global.
    Posted 11 years ago by Sturminator i` Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am kinda confused about anyone being disapproving of this idea.  It makes perfect sense to me.  I love global, I am active there quite a lot.  I try to answer the questions of newer players whenever I can, but things do get lost when detailed conversations and/or general silliness are taking place. 

Splitting global into a Social and Game channel would work perfectly well.  I often have global, trade, rook attacks, and 2 or 3 other channels open all at the same time, and never really have a big problem with it.  Global is there just to have fun.  I check in from time to time to see if there is a conversation going on that I find interesting.  If not, I go back to other channels. 

If a Game channel were to be started up I would do pretty much the same thing, i.e. open the channel, and check it every now and again to see if anyone has a question that I can answer.  I wouldn't pay attention to it all the time, in much the same way that I don't with global.  But if it is a universal channel that everyone had access to without needing to sign up for it, then I think there would pretty much always be an experienced player on hand to help you out with your problems.

I even believe that this might be necessary because there are some people who get actively peeved at people popping into the chat and asking the same (to them dumb) questions over and over - that doesn't help keep the atmosphere light and fun the way it should be.  There is a great community already in place with Glitch - let's keep it going with a community help channel.
    Posted 11 years ago by FineousFingers Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd also like to see more channels. No matter what people on here are saying, I've seen a fair amount of bigotry on Global (mostly ableism, but bits and pieces of racism, advocating eugenics, etc), and lots of people try to shut down protest of that when it comes up in the guise of avoiding "drama". (I see the same sort of nonsense on the forums on a fairly regular basis as well.) Splitting chat in some ways seems win-win to me, because it seems like the bigger channels like that get, the harder conversation gets to follow and the more the channel becomes... well, less like the community it's coming from and more like 4chan.
    Posted 11 years ago by Pixel Dirigible Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 Next