Topic

A change to the way gardening works

I posted about this before - www.glitch.com/forum/ideas/...

Not many people understood what I was driving at with my post - my points where as follows:

People who take the crops and herbs from gardens and do not replant get all of the benefits - they get the product AND the means to replant - meaning that if we want future use of them some one has to pay to replant.

The people who have gardens on their home street put them there for US to use and if they do get left that effects every one who uses them.

More and more people are removing gardens from their home streets - This is a problem for me because I enjoy gardening and do not see why I should have to have them in my garden to make use of them - I do not have Alts and other players gardens to use like many others.

I put a lot of thought into it and I thought up something that might make it better - Since no one cares that people take the crops and herbs - Let us get seeds from removing the weeds instead of from shucking the herbs and feeding the crops to pigs.

This way when people take everything from a street it still gives us players that give a fuck the means to replant.

In an attempt to keep these gardens for us to use I have spent a lot of my time replanting - costing me time and currants to buy the seeds and the energy to do it - but its getting worse and I am tired of just replanting for other people to take with no consideration for any one but themselves.

TL-DR Let us get seeds from weeding instead of from shucking and feeding to pigs.

Posted 11 years ago by Potian Dragoon Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Butler could have the gesture of giving you seeds for whatever you just harvested to help replant.  If you leave the home street without replanting, the Butler will just take these seeds back.  The catch is that it's up to the owners to replenish the Butler with enough crop/herb seeds.  If that system was put in place, safeguards would be made to prevent any other action with these seeds except planting (auctions, drops, etc).
    Posted 11 years ago by Zadow, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is a preference problem not a problem with gardens or seeds themselves, you don't have to keep your front yard garden, water, weeded, and planted, at all times,  if ppl really want to use the garden, they will weed if it wasn't done, or plant if it wasn't done, and some will do so just to be helpful or to get img. This just looks like you're either being a perfectionist, or being impatient, front gardens are the type of thing best to ignore, they will manage themselves.
    Posted 11 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If people are taking everything from the garden and not replanting because they want all the free stuff they can take, then they will harvest and rake and you still won't be able to replant.

Also, as it stands, you have to give up produce to get seeds or keep the produce and buy new seeds. If you make seeds come from raking, then you really only have to buy seeds once for a back yard plot because you'll get new seeds whenever you clear the plot. Seeds are cheap, so I don't know what the overall effect on the economy would be, but it would have one.
    Posted 11 years ago by Shogo_Yahagi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Its just sad - Constantly turning up on home streets with garden plots and finding them empty sucks - I am no perfectionist and I am not impatient otherwise I would not spend my time replanting.

I would just like to be able to occasionally turn up and there be more than the odd one or 2 herbs or crops left for me to actually have myself - for some one who does not have any crop patches in their garden it means the only way I can actually get the crops is if I go and buy them.

And as I mentioned, more and more people are just removing the gardens now - what am I meant to do? Just give up and stick to only using my back garden to grow stuff? 
    Posted 11 years ago by Potian Dragoon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You can fit six large gardens in back. That should be enough guaranteed herbs and crops for anyone. Finding herbs/crops in community gardens and yards is just a little bonus.
    Posted 11 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You can change what you have at any time with Wine of the Dead , which im sure you know. In the case of front yard gardens, its best to accept it may not be planted, or weeded, or watered, at all times, and to leave it be. It sounds like your stuck in the, i just fixed that!, and are fixating on all that you've done, instead of just leaving it to be a resource to be used by others and to get img from them using it.  I'd put gardens of both types in the backyard, leave some gardens in the front, , and wouldn't  maintain the front gardens from then on. Leave it as a resource yes....but don't worry about what state it is in. I've come to accept yelling Icons on my street, but others used them, they are there for a resource, paying the icons when i haven't used them is silly to me, and would make me one broke Glitch. I will reassemble the machines on my street to give ppl the 50 fuel, but i don't often add a lot of additional fuel. Wood trees i don't keep because i don't want to worry about fertillidust....I prefer to just go to the Enchanted Forests.  And i had a garden in front a long time ago, it wasn't worth the hassle to me, so i replaced it with other items. There are quite a few things that ppl use but don't replenish, replace, and only use, if it bothers you, move or remove it, other wise you end up spending all your time at your house or yard, never going to other places or anywhere really, you end up going in circles of fixing / repairing things, and get frustrated with it all along the way.
  • This is an obvious case that someone looted you once then thought they would come back and back and back. I do this since I lead the crop route and I notice looters all the time, go to your butler ask to see the visitor list, note down the visitors, ask him to alert you of anyone on your street when your on. Then look for repeating patterns of who is using the street.

As for getting seeds from plots I don't think it's a good idea, when they eventually get removed from vendors all we will need is pigs, makes it harder to obtain but it's better, if you get them out of weeding/watering it ruins the point of them. I think maybe it would be good if you got the occasional packet from it like how you get Ruby's and musicblocks
    Posted 11 years ago by Santa Clause Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Also....if they are just taking and never doing anything else.....part of why they do so is because they always come to your street and it is always full of crops. The fact that you fix it....is why you get hit by those types again and again, its much more likely they will move on if you don't fix it, if they are only there to take, and not put any work in, its much less appealing to them if they DO have to put work in, really they don't want to put ANY work in.  After awhile of coming back and not being able to just take, take, take, ...they won't bother to come to your street, they will bypass it instead,  because they'd actually have to work to get crops. Also the less consistent full load of crops they get from you.....again the more likely they are to leave your street alone.
  • What Shogo_Yayagi said. If seeds come from raking, people who are inconsiderate will rake and run, but still leave empty plots. You won't be able to force people to plant that way. And someone who comes to the same plots later and wants to plant will be off worse according to your suggestion, as they cannot get seeds from produce they might be carrying around (I for one always carry some), but rather need to go and buy them. I do plant on empty patches I see (not always, but fairly regularly), but if I had to go somewhere else to get seeds, I don't know if I'd bother that much.
    Posted 11 years ago by Not a Princess Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sounds like a visitor culture issue rather than a garden feature issue.

Wonder if those lizards beaurocrats would supply video cameras for narrowing down who among a particular batch of visitors was the full-scale looter...
    Posted 11 years ago by jjhunter Subscriber! | Permalink
  • p.s. maybe start a garden club group so that members can visit each other's home streets and take care of the public gardens - also share information re: ID of any looters who come through and clear out everything available so that can block promptly. (Looters are like internet forum trolls - you usually have to block them to stop the undesired behavior.) Also might be worth considering whether a garden gnome that clearly states your expectations for visitors ("feel free to plant & harvest, but be considerate - replant for the next visitor" or something similar) situated by your garden plot(s) might help matters.
    Posted 11 years ago by jjhunter Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @jjhunter: Having a sign stating your expectations is about as useful as teats on a boar hog. As a frequent user of both herb routes (and always a replanter), I can't tell you how many times I've seen every plot on a street stripped and left, even with signs on every single plot. They simply have zero impact on those who intend to harvest and dash.

People are people, I'm afraid: some are greedy, some are generous, some are willing to replant for the iMG (and for the next player), and some just want to grab and run. For those who host gardens, accepting that and letting it go is the only way to have peace of mind about your yard. It's the primary reason I don't host a garden of any kind: I get furious when I find stripped plots on other people's streets. If it was on my street, I'm sure I'd be blockity-blocking everyone that came through just to make sure I got the abuser. No end of needless drama there.

That said, my thanks go to the others out there who do replant. As a replanter myself, I appreciate your contribution.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kip Konner Subscriber! | Permalink
  • with herbs, i have one large garden in my back yard where i grow what i need (usually all yellow crumb) and then one in the front for whoever and i always keep a variety. when i harvest and turn them in to essences, i always make sure i leave at least one sprig and some seeds.

with crops, i just have the one large garden out front where i grow something for my still and then whatever i think might be useful to others or sellable. i never use my pigs for getting seeds as it's not worth the time & energy imo. i just stop by the gardening vendor whenever i happen to pass one and keep at least 15 of each seed in my pack. easy to keep everything topped up for cheap this way.

i rarely have problems with looting gardens (and i don't really mind if people leave the weeds as i get img/mood/whatever for cleaning up and replanting anyway, and anything i really need i grow in the back) but if i did i would keep track of the visitor lists and block any repeat offenders.
    Posted 11 years ago by jerk nugget Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I understand the frustration, but not everyone's expectations/wishes are the same.  I have a low-traffic street and mostly grow the things I plan to use out front --- I do have plots in the back for anything I'd be really upset to see taken, and I can easily imagine having to move more back there as time goes on, but for now, if I didn't use it myself it'd be dry as a bone most of the time.  I'm also a bit fussy and like to plant things in neat rows.  As a result, if someone takes things from my garden, I don't necessarily *want* them to replant; I'd rather they leave the space for me to use the way I want.  (Extreme example: when the not-actually-malicious person who took pumpkins on Miracle Zilloween didn't know where to get pumpkin seed and replanted my garden with non-pumpkins?  Kinda wished they hadn't done that.  ^_~;)
    Posted 11 years ago by LinnesetFox Subscriber! | Permalink
  • -1 as others have pointed out, it still won't fix the situation you are unhappy with
    Posted 11 years ago by Janitch Subscriber! | Permalink