Topic

Age Restriction

"14-17 year olds need permission from their parents to make an account"

I'm 17 and I find needing permission from my parents to create an account is absolutely rediculous. I'm old enough to determine whether or not if I can make an account myself, without having to go ask mummy or daddy to hold my hand whilst I make an account.
In my opinion, they should change it to 13 (age) minimum and 13-15 (age) permission from parents.
Then again, it just all depends on the person's level of maturity.

Thanks for reading and please, leave any feedback :)

Posted 11 years ago by NiFi Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Apart from the feelings of the community on the population they'd like to play with (which I'm sure people will be very vocal about in following comments), I believe these regulations have to do with US laws, don't they? I'm fairly sure I read (and saw on other sites too) that the age limits/parental consent rules exist to protect the service and also other players from being persecuted for letting children see things that by US rules they aren't supposed to see.

If that is true, then I certainly would be against changing the current policies. I'm sure I myself, being on another continent, wouldn't be in any danger, but I would like the site not to have to worry about people suing them for absurd sums because someone's child was traumatised by reading words they probably knew already.
    Posted 11 years ago by Not a Princess Subscriber! | Permalink
  • True enough, I'm on another continent, so also so not affecting me, but just more of a curiousity.
    Posted 11 years ago by NiFi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • deleted - am too tired to make sure I'm being coherent
    Posted 11 years ago by diaveborn ♥ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm pretty sure it's just COPA restrictions. Also, I'm pretty sure that, given the age I pretended to be when I first started using social/gaming sites on the web, I should be dead by now.
    Posted 11 years ago by Pixel Dirigible Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1
    Posted 11 years ago by Misty Power Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I believe this is based on the laws in the US and the content of this site. In the US you are not deemed an adult until the age of 18. This site contains mature content, which is why they ask anyone under the age of 18 to seek parental consent before creating an account.
    Posted 11 years ago by MuddyPawPrints Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Glitch is an adult game with a mostly mature player-base - These age restrictions are awesome for me because I want to be able to play Glitch with out having to worry about censoring what I say and worrying about children running around - We cover a lot of mature topics, drugs, alcohol, violence towards animals (Rooks in this case), innuendo and some times if you know where to look full blown sexual and disturbing content - So you should need to have your parents consent to play this even at 17 and any changes (especially reducing the age you can play glitch) would be terrible in my opinion. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Potian Dragoon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ultimately this is an online community and there are no restrictions that TS can make that have any force. (As others have said, there are legal ramifications to including minors.)

Act mature and be entertaining and no one will have a problem with you.
    Posted 11 years ago by Janitch Subscriber! | Permalink