Topic

Maintain the Avatar API

Let people build and customize avatars, play glitchmash, and allow the opportunity for outside developers to use the assets to build other things, including games.

This would be much less expensive to maintain than the game servers, and is the most likely path to future fun and profits.

While a long shot, i think this represents a very low risk, potentially high reward scenario for both Tiny Speck and the Players of Glitch.

Posted 11 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I really like this idea, totally possible technically and would preserve some of the great art created for the wardrobe and vanity.
    Posted 11 years ago by Joan of Dark Subscriber! | Permalink
  • YES.  This would be a ton of fun.  If you give us our yetis, pickles, cubimals, and other special, adorable items, too, even if they're just ornaments and not functional... happiness!
    Posted 11 years ago by glum pudding Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 
    i wholeheartedly agree!
    Posted 11 years ago by IxÆoN Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh yes!
    Posted 11 years ago by Lady Cailia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1!
    Posted 11 years ago by TomC Subscriber! | Permalink
  • yes.  just yes.  Please pop in to my thread here: http://www.glitch.com/forum/ideas/29331/
    this would help with that initiative too!
    Posted 11 years ago by Dissonance Subscriber! | Permalink
  • using the Avatar API an offline mini-glitch could probably be made pretty easily.

heck, i could make that and i SUCK!
  • Please yes.
    Posted 11 years ago by Hollyhawk Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I really like this idea. I'd love to see the artwork and music of Glitch preserved in some way, perhaps through licensing.
    Posted 11 years ago by Splendora Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @striatic well maybe with your suck plus my suck we could make something awesome?
    Posted 11 years ago by Dissonance Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i don't know if doubling down on the suck is a great idea : ]
  • +1
    Posted 11 years ago by Lila Clemenceau Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's silly, but I would love to still be able to change up Caiyot's looks once in a while. There's just SO MUCH cool stuff in there.

I was actually thinking of making a paper doll, because I am creative but non-techy :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Caiyot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You know, I really support this idea. The idea of making your own glitch using the avatar APIs and such wouldn't be that crazy, either. I really wish they would have released the images or something.

Quick, someone make a program to recursively save all of the glitch assets!
    Posted 11 years ago by QuinnR Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "I really wish they would have released the images or something."

they are released, effectively, through the API.
  • Yes please.

And Caiyot, I love your paper doll idea.
    Posted 11 years ago by emdot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, did they add all the furniture and stuff? I haven't checked since the early times.
    Posted 11 years ago by QuinnR Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1
    Posted 11 years ago by Snarlo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Oh, did they add all the furniture and stuff?"

no, but all the character clothing animation stuff is there.
  • I'd pay for that! +1
    Posted 11 years ago by Cefeida Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bump!
  • yes please.
    Posted 11 years ago by natsumi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bump bump
    Love the wardrobe and vanity 
    Posted 11 years ago by Deus Marionette Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Please please please
    Posted 11 years ago by Dr.Maud, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just saw this now, but it is something we have talked about internally. The most likely scenario is that we keep the tools available, but it saves the avatar images and spritesheets to your computer, rather than on the server (because that requires a several pieces on our end — one server to generate the images, another to process/optimize them and then storage + CDN).
    Posted 11 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That would be perfect, stoot, just like the very helpful save full snaps to computer feature. This is a great way for Glitch artwork to live on with many practical, non-commercial uses for all these avatar designs. Thanks for considering this!
  • Stoot, that would be awesome! :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Cefeida Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes please. That would be really awesome. I still plan to use my glitch avatar for my other accounts.
    Posted 11 years ago by roderick ordonez Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Just saw this now, but it is something we have talked about internally. The most likely scenario is that we keep the tools available, but it saves the avatar images and spritesheets to your computer, rather than on the server (because that requires a several pieces on our end — one server to generate the images, another to process/optimize them and then storage + CDN)."

that's something at least.

unfortunately it would make it much more difficult for 3rd party games and games-ish things to use the system for avatar generation [and possibly pay TS if they start making $$$ with their game].

better than nothing though.
  • Definitely support this! *Bumpity-bump*
    Posted 11 years ago by Darkwoof Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would love this also and I would definitely pay for it if TS requested it.
    Posted 11 years ago by Elendraug Subscriber! | Permalink
  • it would be nice to be able to use my glitch avatar in other places. i'm sure some people could dream up some pretty amazing stuff to do with it...
    Posted 11 years ago by IxÆoN Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Totally. I want to keep playing with my avatar from time to time… pleeeeease?
    Posted 11 years ago by balatik Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Great idea. Fingers crossed!
    Posted 11 years ago by Chelseathing Subscriber! | Permalink
  • bumpity bump bump
    Posted 11 years ago by EgIantine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • something could definitely happen with this, even for personal use only it would be so great. thank you stoot :)
    Posted 11 years ago by goose (◡‿◡✿) Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 
    I just started playing around with the API more.. agree that it would be great to keep around in some form.
    Posted 11 years ago by Zombie Process Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i would happy with anything as opposed to nothing.
    Posted 11 years ago by coolbettycakes Subscriber! | Permalink
  • YES
    +5 million
    Posted 11 years ago by Osiris χ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes please.  Pretty please with sugar and whipped cream and caramel drizzle.
    Posted 11 years ago by Everybody Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would love this! I tried downloading avatar animations (angry face, happy face, etc) from a site before the shut down, but ran out of time. Of course they were using the API so I can't get those anymore. So just adding my +1million for this idea, pretty please with bacon on top!
    Posted 11 years ago by FawnFang Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sounds excellent to me! I was just wishing I had played around with my outfits a bit more, but it felt kind of empty doing so if it would all be gone soon anyway.

This would go pretty well hand-in-hand with the "turn the site into a forum" idea... Some avatar forum sites like Gaia even manage to turn a pretty significant profit from that kind of setup.
    Posted 11 years ago by tozoku Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Please yes.
    Posted 11 years ago by Hollyhawk Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes!!
    Posted 11 years ago by Dr Payne Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Please Please :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Wynella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Please please! And, @Stoot? Please reply to my emails. Need to establish formal communications between the organization I represent and Tiny Speck if possible. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Fokian Fool Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would like this.
    Posted 11 years ago by dopiaza Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Fokian They taking some time off, answers will happen in January I guess

stoot:
    "The most likely scenario is that we keep the tools available, but it saves the avatar images and spritesheets to your computer, rather than on the server (because that requires a several pieces on our end — one server to generate the images, another to process/optimize them and then storage + CDN)."

I think most people would be fine having their current avatar locked in its current state (rather than nothing), and in that case you'd just need the storage server, right?
    (Otherwise it's complicated for mini-games like striatic said)
    Posted 11 years ago by Lemo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Agreed with Lemo.
    Posted 11 years ago by Aemulus Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would really love this! The artwork of Glitch is simply wonderful. Personally, I could spend hours updating my character's wardrobe and vanity. XD
    Posted 11 years ago by Siouxsie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes!
    Posted 11 years ago by Gabzilla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I wouldn't mind paying a nominal sub if I could get more credits to buy more outfits. It would be a way to generate a small revenue stream from TS's existing assets.
    Posted 11 years ago by DOOMy Nutpuncher Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yay!  I too wish to use my Glitch for every forum I ever sign up for ever in the future, so this would be completely amazing. <3
    Posted 11 years ago by Shae'lyn Subscriber! | Permalink