Topic

What about a kickstarter?

I'm devastated that Glitch is shutting down, and I don't really know how on line games like this work, but perhaps a kickstarter could help?

So far I've seen kickstarter allow amazing things to happen, I've seen them begin a toy line, fund a whole MMO, and even a full-fledged (and may I add high quality) CGI movie.

www.kickstarter.com/

You set a price goal, and set a certain number of days (usually 20-30) for people to pledge to that goal. If the pledges people make reach your goal, then everyone is charged for their pledge and you get the money! Though pledgers don't have to worry, for if the goal is not reached, then they will not be charged.

Kickstarter could also be a good way to advertise too, and I think the people who follow kickstarter would love a game like this.

What do you guys think?

Posted 11 years ago by kozmosis Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• They need 500k a month. So they will probably have to set the goal high. But I've seen some games raise one million in a day, so it's not impossible.
    Posted 11 years ago by menthia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • lets do it!  Staff should :D
    Posted 11 years ago by wuilyl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It would be worth a shot, but what the staff needs is income, not life support.  Honestly, how many people actually spent money on this game?  Heck, how many people KNEW you could spend money on this game?
    Posted 11 years ago by Jardex Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There seems to be no use.
    Posted 11 years ago by Thursday Soleil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There would be no harm in trying. Kickstarter projects get a lot of publicity.

Glitch should put its name up there in the spotlight; for all to see the great things they are missing.
    Posted 11 years ago by Opportunity Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would donate to a kickstarter! and I would buy a subscription!! Anything to keep glitch from closing! I know my friends feel the same!! I know lots of people see Kickstarter, I've donated to quite a few, and it really is good publicity, and if your idea is good (which glitch is) sometimes you get funded over 100% of what you need. what say you TS!!
    Posted 11 years ago by Lady Snugglesworth Subscriber! | Permalink
  • yeah, unfortunately it's not a one time fix. it doesn't need to get up and running ('kickstarted') it needs to be KEPT up and running. what we need is some independently wealthy people who feel like running it just because :p

all of that aside, i did not pay for this game BUT it was literally the day i was going to (as my free month was ending) that they announced it would be no more. unlike netflix, hulu, the boston subway system, etc, i'd have no problem paying a small amount each month to use something i truly enjoyed and worked so well. and so, of course, i would still consider donating just to say thanks and to help the devs in between the end of this and the start of whatever they decide to do next.
    Posted 11 years ago by jerk nugget Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I feel that the main issue with Glitch was the total lack of money-grubbury that MMOs rely on to survive. You could not receive any in-game advantages (except teleports, which weren't that necessary at all)...while I admire Stoot greatly for this choice, I really was surprised that the game was making enough money to survive. Games really do require that attitude to keep living, it's sad but true. I thought multiple times about donating, but in the end it was a waste of money for me from a logical standpoint, because as long as the game was staying afloat, I didn't really care what I looked like.
    Posted 11 years ago by QuinnR Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'll donate
    Posted 11 years ago by ◘ ▪ Leï.Leï ▪ ◘ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What jerk nugget said - 

Kickstarters aren't for maintaining massive servers, they're for 'here's an idea, but I don't have any money for it to get started with'. Glitch had the money to get started with (kickstarted), but didn't have the profit to keep it up.

For other games on KS, the money helped since it just paid the bills for those indie developers. These developers would then take the money, work hard on the game, then release it - that's the end, and they just sit back and watch the money roll in as people buy the game - there's pretty much no more money that needs to be put towards these games since they have no servers to run on.
    Posted 11 years ago by Japan Subscriber! | Permalink