Topic

Viability of Kickstarter?

_As far as I know_ (<-- That's important), one of the main reasons Glitch is having to close down is due to it having been built in Flash which suddenly and rapidly is becoming very outdated technology. Now, Flash is being replaced by HTML5 (or so I believe), and I was wondering if it would be feasible for Tiny Speck to create a Kickstarter to convert the game into HTML5? Would that potentially solve the problem? I know next to nothing about this, which is why I'm asking anyway. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Posted 11 years ago by Vexia Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• As noble as it is, it is not viable. HTML5 is several years away from being able to support what we did in Flash … and that's probably how long it would take us to completely port everything away from Flash: it's not just the client (which is huge) but all the pipeline tools for asset creation and management, the scripting of characters/NPCs and all visual effects, the entire avatar system and so much more. It would be much simpler and faster to make an entirely different game.
    Posted 11 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aww, I see. :( Thanks so much for answering this so quickly, Stoot!
    Posted 11 years ago by Vexia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So, can we see you again in several years?
    Stoot, I confess, I have never been as sad about something like this ending, and I've done a dozen start ups. My livelihood was on the line.
    This is/has been the most amazing collection of visual, programming and musical talent I've ever seen.
    I'm a cynic; but this touched my beat up worn out heart in such a powerful way.
    I am not an emo fan boy by any stretch. Ask anyone.

You made and curated something very, very special.

I'm even hand keying this into a gd iPad: that's how much I care.

Thanks for reading.
    Posted 11 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I know it's basically futile to ask but is there any chance that Glitch could be converted into a downloadable game as opposed to a in-browser game? It might bypass some of the Flash problems.
    I have very little understanding of how these games work, so if this is a dumb question, please forgive my ignorance :P
    Posted 11 years ago by Moi Subscriber! | Permalink