Topic

Pay Server

I've been thinking about this quite a bit over the last few days. Silly things about how to keep Glitch up and running. Amazingly something just occurred to me. What about making the game "for pay only"?

Ideas I don't especially like:
- Begging for more VC. (This obviously only covers short term.)
- Running a KickStarter campaign. (This really isn't different than VC.)
- Constant micro-transactions. (I just find games like that near offensive.)

Ideas related to for pay play:
- World of Warcraft runs quite nicely on about $13/month/subscriber, what would it cost to keep Glitch running if only paying subscribers could play?
- As an existing Molly subscriber to Glitch I like this model very much since it's not really different than it already has been for me.
- Supplemental purchases in World of Warcraft have also attracted money from me include purchasable pets and mounts. These purchases carry a fairly large one time charge and don't change the game play in any meaningful way.
- Since everyone would be paying player, eliminate subscriber locked items.
- Stick with credits and tokens and stuff as desperate extra purchases, but don't expect them to happen often at all.
- When this occurs, make it a full reset. It pains me to say that as a level 50 player, but really I think having to do all the quests again, seeing all the places again, build up my wealth again, learn skills again, get upgrades again, all that stuff will make the game interesting all over again too.

So what do you think? How much per month would this game require if everyone playing was paying too?

Posted 11 years ago by Nerd of Epic Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• It's not only about the server costs.
    Glitch runs on Flash, what's getting "old gen", so TS would've gotten difficulties keeping the game running.

Now I'm just hoping TS will re-make Glitch with a different "Engine" :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Rutger Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Unity. :-)
  • @Nerd of Epic: I thought about that too, but I don't know....
    Doesn't sound very "Glitchy"
  • Unity is just an engine.  The output can be nearly anything you like.  2D, 3D, 2D with fancy depth layers, etc.  The reason for the thought for me was that Unity will run on virtually every platform there is.  I'm pretty sure it'll even run on my toaster.
  • It would be awesome if that was possible, but making Glitch in a new engine would cost tens of thousands of dollars :/

But we'll see what the future holds for us! :D
  • More than tens of thousands. Tens of thousands is one annual paycheck for one employee. The people are the most expensive - and important! - part of what makes Glitch go.

I'd still sign right back up though.
    Posted 11 years ago by Moehr Ossum Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Why not shut the game down for a while, create a kickstarter campaign to gain money, and create the game in a new engine? Maybe if they had a while to recreate the game they could also focus on attracting new players for the release.
    Then again, I'm sure this would cost a fortune. I just really love this game and it's a shame that it's dying. :/
    Posted 11 years ago by Renlaise Subscriber! | Permalink