Topic

Damnit quitting smoking is hard. ~ Anyone else make the same resolution this year?

I resolved to quit smoking.  I hate this.  I HATE it.  Quitting is the dumbest thing ever. x_x

:: shakes fist at sky ::

Anyone else doing this?  Let's support each other.  ^_^

Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• ah I see, nobody else has made the same resolution... because it sucks so much.. >_>

AUGH I WANT A SMOKE! :: pounds head against wall :: X(
  • Don't give up Miso! Eat M&Ms! Take deep breaths! It takes 72 hours for nicotine to leave your system......then it's behavior modification.

(I'm a smoker, so take my tips with a grain of salt.......I've tried to quit so many times, but I'm weak-willed *hangs head*)
    Posted 12 years ago by GreyGoose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I did it...cold turkey...sixteen years ago and have never looked back...YOU CAN DO THIS THING, MISO!!!!
    Oh, and ((((hugs)))), too!
    Posted 12 years ago by Dahlia DreadNaught Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I keep making that resolution... after I finish the pack I've got going at the time (y'know, so they don't lie around the house tempting me to pick 'em up). Obviously, that sorta backfires.
    But I can quit whenever I want- I've done it enough times to know.
    Posted 12 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You can do it. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Osprey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That was my resolution last year. Try putting on a nicotine patch once a day according to the instructions and also using the lozenges when you get cravings or anything. That is what studies show work best and it worked for my spouse and I.

It will get easier, I promise. You can do it!
    Posted 12 years ago by Siderian Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ahh thanks for all the support guys. <3
    Incidentally I found a (semi-flattened) full pack of Marboloro's (however the H you spell that ~O.o~) in the parking lot, picked them up, then my kids told my hubby what I had done, and he took them and put them back on the ground where I had picked them up from and quickly drove off.  I am once again cigarette-less and ARRGGHH I HATE IT!!!! but yeah.  You're right,it's like, important and stuff.  Go me.  >_<!!!!
  • I quit almost three years ago. It was totally worth it, agonizing as it was--I'm saving money, getting sick much less frequently, and I got my night vision back after about a year.
    Posted 12 years ago by Ooloi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Miso- I quit a little over a year ago.  It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do (physically and mentally).  I'll tell you, cravings still happen, but when I think about going through the process of quitting again it's enough to make the craving pass!  Good luck!  

And know this- I stumbled many times while I was quitting- don't beat yourself up too much for the stumbles- just keep pushing forward!
    Posted 12 years ago by Sloppy Ketchup Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I did! I quit on Christmas! 14 days smoke free!!! And yes, it is terribly hard. I buy a pack of smokes every night in my dreams :(
    Posted 12 years ago by tis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh I did this last year! I quit on January 2nd. You can do it! But you may kick stuff in the process. It's ok to do that. What worked best for me was every time I wanted to smoke I'd force myself to think about something else. The craving would eventually subside and after awhile the cravings came less often. You'll feel so much better, smell better, and your food will smell and taste better too!
    You can do it. You are stronger than addiction.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kittn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Best wishes for success in your goal, Miso. Think of the rewards of quitting. You'll start tasting and smelling food better, you'll eventually feel much better overall as a result of quitting.

Watch out for new eating habits. Try to find things that are good for you and good to you to relpace all the tics and habits of smoking. Carrots and celery are nummy and will give your fingers something new to do to replace holding that smoke. Be decadent and put cheese spread in the celery groove!
    Posted 12 years ago by Razzal Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you guys, everyone.  (( group hug ))
  • Quit about 10 years ago by lighting up half a pack of USA Golds at once and inhaling. Barfed all over the picnic table and I still feel queasy thinking about smoking.
    Posted 12 years ago by Abbadon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Quiting smoking is soooooooooooooooo hard. I wish I could go to a private island smoking detox.
    Posted 12 years ago by Eye Wonder Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you so much for your support everyone.

I have not lit up in 13 days!!!
  • See if you can get a prescription for some Wellbutrin. I haven't had a cigarette in two weeks and I don't care, don't even thing about it. I'm on Wellbutrin for something else entirely and I wasn't even interested in stopping, but when my last pack ran out I just didn't bother getting more cause I never got any cravings. This stuff is magic!
    Posted 12 years ago by Pancake Batfish Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Miso I'm so proud of you!
    Posted 12 years ago by Avery♥ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you Avery. <3

Pancake I cannot take Wellbutrin, as it is known to trigger seizures in people with one of the health conditions I have.  (~.~)

Now it's been 14 days.  I got a craving again today but I did not buy a pack!  Which was hard because I was there and had money.  I am going to spend the 20$US on a book instead (Cinderella Ate My Daughter).  =^_^=
  • Awww, sorry Miso. You are doing awesome on your own anyway. I'm cheering for you!
    Posted 12 years ago by Pancake Batfish Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks Pancake.  -_-

I've been craving one soooo bad this week... must... not...
  • You are doing fantastic Miso. Don't let one craving win - you are way stronger than that craving!
    Posted 12 years ago by Kookaburra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Beginning to smoke is the dumbest thing ever
    Posted 12 years ago by Lety Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you Kookabury.
    You're right Lety.  It really really was.  -_- 
  • Wtg Miso.
    Quitting is a really hard thing to do, you're doing great.
    I quit smoking too, it will be 4 years this May 7!  One thing that I did, was put the money that I would spend on cigarettes everyday into a jar.  That way the money you save by not smoking becomes really tangible.
    I also got really pissed off at our government who get a boat-load of money from the taxes off cigarettes.  Everything else that they discover to be a carcinogenic, they whisk off the shelves, but not cigarettes.  You have to ask yourself why.  They don't give a damn about the people or our health, they love the money too much.  They get enough of my money as it is. No more!  
    Posted 12 years ago by Stormy Weather Subscriber! | Permalink
  • E cigs! Don't go back if you've quit and are doing good, but for those that are struggling and just can't make it or for those who flirt with quitting but aren't serious...try ecigs! They are GLORIOUS. Glorious I say.

How are you doing on your quit Miso?!
    Posted 12 years ago by Trucker Dave Subscriber! | Permalink