Topic

Is everyone out there mentally stunted? Has the world lost their collective backbones? Do we live in a PC nightmare?

I've run across some awful arguments in here.  Some issues that some people have in here are staggering.  I can't believe that humans would actually give credence to some of the insane things I've read in here. 

Who likes free speech?

Who understands that everyone in the world can't be happy 24/7 with the opinions of the rest of the world?

Who accepts the above and just tries to love their fellow man/woman and get along?

I want to flesh out the rant, but I'm sure this will get the ball rolling.

Posted 12 years ago by Mr. Miskatonic Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• [Moved to Off Topic Forum]
    Posted 12 years ago by Jade Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Um, this is very ON topic.
  • Jade, I have to agree with Mr.  With everything going on in game and in the forums.......I agree this is on topic for Glitch.
    Posted 12 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • :: nods nods ::  I agree, I think this should be in General.

I disagree completely with the intent/message of the original post but I do think this should be in General considering all that's gone on recently in both the forums and Global / Local chats...
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • this has nothing to do with the gameplay of glitch, and I for one thank Jade for moving it to offtopic!
    Posted 12 years ago by Wundur Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Given the the title, it doesn't seem to be a specific issue with the game itself.  I don't see it as a General forum post.  
    Posted 12 years ago by WindBorn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thought I was having a serious case of deja vu, but nope. Same topic, same poster, different thread.
    Posted 12 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, but he has to repeat it, many times, because we all just wont listen to him, we don't understand. Because we're all mentally stunted, spineless nightmare creatures who stubbornly refuse to agree with him.

(I'm so glad I didnt hit enter on this one.....hmmm, wait...)
    Posted 12 years ago by Phoebe Springback Subscriber! | Permalink
  • lol @Phoebe
    Posted 12 years ago by Jeff Buckley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ("You" in the non-specific, plural sense.)

If you try to love others and get along with them, and you do your best to act towards them in this way, including treating them as they have explained to you that they wish to be treated as far as it is within your capacity to do so, any unhappiness they still have is probably not a responsibility you would need to take onto your own shoulders.
    Posted 12 years ago by diaveborn ♥ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mr. Miskatonic, my original question was specific to Glitch, but the resulting discussion veered off-topic to a more general question about human interaction and it was subsequently moved to the appropriate forum category.  Staff didn't say "You can't talk about this subject", they just said, "Here's a better place for this discussion".
    Posted 12 years ago by Sloppy Ketchup Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Here's a PC nightmare for you to chew on .....

www.abovetopsecret.com/foru...
    Posted 12 years ago by BlackWolf Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That is truly depressing.  I enjoy this game.  It's a time-sink though.  It is supposedly community based, but you can pretty much advance just as easily without interacting with many people.  I'm working on a degree in behavioral science and I'm intrigued by how the internet and society will affect how we communicate.  It's staggering how much we've changed in the last decade alone.  Think how many barbs and thoughtless comments are flung about because people will never be held accountable for saying them.  Anonymity is a bit of an evolutionary crux.  I don't see why an online game can't still maintain some social sensibility.  It's more than creepy that the "troll" is worldwide.  Would you classify someone as a sociopath?  It's basically the same personality.  Anyway, the trivial pittances that folks will argue about is unsettling.  Simply putting this in words I know will get shite comments.  Oh well.
  • I don't know, I guess I just don't get why you're making such a huge deal out of this issue. I mean the thread that got this started in the first place was just a guy saying that a word bothered him and he told people that it did, but that they didn't have to stop using it on his account.

How does that translate to people being mentally stunted? Most of the arguing going on in the other thread was coming from you so... I guess I just feel like there's no changing people so why get into stupid forum arguments on an online game? I mean is it any skin off your nose if someone on THE INTERNET doesn't agree with you?

Gah, I don't know.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/8/6/04b6a8e6-5a79-4d81-9626-3254c8f9b551.jpg
  • I was upset.  It wasn't directed at one person.  The fact that the term "trolling" exists is awful.  I also hate that I have to preface anything I may say in this medium.  Yes, war and hunger and hatred in its many forms is by far worse.  But this is a social problem.  Why is a game somehow supposed to be dumbed down?  Why can't something that I thought was community based still try to maintain some civility or order?  I get the simpsons cartoon and the meme in general, but I think it's dangerous as a society to be so blase about it.  The internet itself makes everyone lose a sense of consciousness at times.  How many things have you typed out quite easily because you know there are no consequences?  The internet is an integral part of being human now.  It's a tool and we can decide if we want to build or dismantle with it. 
  • i'm SUPER confused now. Because weren't you the one saying people should be able to say what they want when they want, yet now you are asking for a bit of civility and commenting on how people say whatever they want whenever they want because there is no accountability? O.o
    Posted 12 years ago by Pixieyelsraek Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I guess I'm just concerned with being rational.  I abhor censorship of any kind. I didn't have one specific question or goal when I put this up.  I just want people to think about it.  Trolls do their thing, but why?  Is the person psychologically damaged?  It takes a certain person to cause grief for their own amusement.  I'm fascinated by how we interact in general.  If you browse the forum from the very beginning there are some pretty effing strange and awful things in there.  I think i was finding this below that freaked me out.

www.glitch.com/forum/genera...

The fact that comments went on for 3 pages before it had to be shut down.  Then the conversation about the word "ghetto."  I can see both sides.  But the side that wins the logic fight in my head is....The word is not the issue.  A word only has power if your mind gives it power.  If you're offended at one specific thing, it comes from a very specific place or event in your mind.  The person obviously ruminated on the word over and over.  In their mind (no one elses) they made this word hold some meaning that we won't know.  We should speak freely, yet constructively.  Respecting the fact that this place is global.  We should be aware that we are humans interacting and sometimes our words have consequences.  If something is offensive, don't automatically jump up and "How dare you?!"    I think people see the word and then just assume the intent to be bad.  I'm ok with monitoring my speech with certain ppl, it's respectful.  But, there were others  that said..."some words hurt people.  hurting people is bad.  we shouldn't use certain words."   I like my words, and eff you if you can't read or comprehend.   I think people WANT to be offended by insignificant things because tragically if makes them feel special.  People would rather make people walk on eggshells that actually fix the root of the problem in the first place. 
  • Yeah but people getting upset over seemingly miniscule things isn't something relegated solely to the internet world. People get pissy over things that seem like nothing in real life, people are complete dicks to other people, and people are uncivil and rude. Why would the internet be any different? No changing the fact that most people contain the capacity to be wholly cruel to other people with varying degrees of remorse.
  • Jeff, I agree with all of that.  Baby steps is all I hope for.