Topic

Girl Scout cookies, and why you shouldn't feel guilty for buying tons this year! ^^

A few good reasons to buy Girl Scout cookies were brought to my attention today! ^^ 

The Girl Scouts of the USA:
-Support the rights of women to bodily autonomy
-Inform girls of their sexual rights, and provide good, fact-based sex ed at an age when girls really need it and schools increasingly are unwilling/unable to provide
-Support the right of trans girls to participate
-Support LGBTQ rights and are rewriting badge books with that goal in mind
-Support Planned Parenthood's "Real Life. Real Talk." program

With all that in mind, I'm gonna go order some more Thin Mints.

Posted 12 years ago by Shiromisa Kaya Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• And for you parents out there that still believe in raising our own daughters and giving them a safe enviroment to grow without the indoctrination, check out Heritage Girls. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by litlc Subscriber! | Permalink
  • How could one have "a Christ-centered character development program dedicated to the mission of building women of integrity through service to God" without indoctrination?  My belief in raising my own daughter and keeping her safe from excessive indoctrination is definitely incompatible with the organization described on the Heritage Girls web site.

While the organization as a whole supports the things that the OP mentions, mostly they aren't part of scouts' day-to-day experiences.  (There's a lot of things that *can* be part of scouting, but what actually *is* depends very much on the particular troop.)  The presence of a trans girl or a lesbian or bisexual teen isn't going to hurt anyone.
    Posted 12 years ago by Granny Weatherwax Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think I shall be buying Girl Scout cookies too, as that definitely seems to be a much less judgmental and doctrine-driven group than the Heritage Girls.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kookaburra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Don't Girl Scouts discriminate against atheists like Boy Scouts do? From what I understand you have to believe in some sort of a god to be a scout. Which is messed up.
    Posted 12 years ago by Fussycat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Girl Scounts:
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_...

Heritage Girls:
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ameri...

I think I will stick with the Girl Scounts for an open minded attitude about religious beliefs.
  • Everyone says "indoctrination" like it's a bad thing. All education includes a degree of indoctrination. It is part of social learning, whether in the church, on the playground, or at the pub.

Indoctrination is the non critical-thinking aspect of teaching. Doctrine are the inviolate rules you aren't to question, which really means "trust us, take this as rote until you know enough to be able to meaningfully start questioning it." It is part of how we teach, especially in the Western world.

That being said, I need to find some thin mints now...
    Posted 12 years ago by MrVolare Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Fussycat: I don't think they do. Weirdly, Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts are run by totally different organizations, and I don't believe Girl Scouts has any kind of religious bent.
  • I am so sorry. I was sleepy when I typed that last night, I meant (that type indoctination). I don't feel any organization or school should teach the things listed above. It should be the parents job. Also the Girl Scout Promise = On my honor, I will try to serve God and my Country. To help people at all times, and to live by the Girl Scout law. So both organizations were founded upon religious ideas. I just wanted to let parents know there was an alternative to the Girl Scouts. :)
    Have A Blessed Day - My Dear Friends
    HUGE ((HUGS))
    Posted 12 years ago by litlc Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I didn't know any of this... just read the Wiki page and am now feeling very happy and guilt-free about buying girl scout cookies!  The Girl Scouts are way cooler than I thought they were :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Clarabelle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "trust us, take this as rote until you know enough to be able to meaningfully start questioning it.

lol, except for the last bit that I italicized. Indoctrination isn't about questioning anything, it's about marching instep with the dictate(s) of a given dogma as a good follower, ie, sheep, regardless of the dogma's political, religious, or other bent, be it left, right, christian, mulsim, judaism, etc. 

In fact, this whole thread is based on an obvious dogmatic bent, born of over three decades of radical left-wing dogma that has repeatedly and emphatically said to anyone within its grasp, "don't trust the girl scouts", else there would be no mention of guilt and this would have simply been a reminder that girlscout cookies are going on sale.
    Posted 12 years ago by Woochi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • no Woochi - the guilt was over buying (and eating) boxes and boxes of cookies, not that they came from the Girl Scouts.
  • Hehe, exactly. XD;; I've ordered...well, way too many boxes for my waistline's good. But it's only once a year, and the cause is totally worth it. ^^

The reason it's not just a reminder that cookies are on sale is, I found out all that and wanted to spread the word about all the awesome things they do.
  • Heheheh Woochi,
    The bit you italicize, that is the crucial part, as once you learn enough you will either look at the subject and go "oh, I see..." Or you will question it for yourself.

Like I said, it is a pretty common portion of teaching a subject. Critical thinking skills are a whole other matter.
    Posted 12 years ago by MrVolare Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I broke my wrist at girl scout camp and they never sent me home or even called home to let my mom know I was injured. Stayed in pain all weekend. Girl scouts are evil, and mostly just want your money and to make you fat from eating all those cookies.
    Posted 12 years ago by Thursday Soleil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • While I've always loved thin mints, I've often wondered if the poor lil' girlies are not only the ingredients, but also forced into slave baking of them.
    Posted 12 years ago by Harley Davidson Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You forgot "deliciousness" as one of your reasons!
    Posted 12 years ago by Chel ☆ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • As a former Girl Scout I have to say...huh? What? Really?

It depends on your troop leader. One of our troop leaders had a stick up her you know what, encouraged bullying and called us little whores whenever she found no one listening.

We won't even talk about the chubby girls being put on food restriction during camping trips.

I don't know if it's better now, but truly, it's hard to figure out who as a scout to complain to and parents were just as confused when we finally fessed up.
    Posted 12 years ago by Trucker Dave Subscriber! | Permalink