Topic

Faunasphere commemoration.

We are fast approaching the 15th of March, the 1st anniversary of the closure of FS. It seems appropriate to mark this occasion and I am working on the details of a video/slideshow which will involve anyone who played FS, and their Glitches if they have them. I am also contacting the Nord FSR to see if they wish to be involved.I understand this may be too painful for some and they will not be interested, but for those who are interested I have formed a new group Faunasphere commemoration - 1 year gone. If you would like to take part please join that group. The only stipulations are that I know your Glitch name, your caretaker name and the name of the fauna you wish to use. I will also need an image of that fauna in it's favourite surroundings maybe, or as a profile pic.How the video will proceed will depend very much on the amount of interest.(This has also be posted in the FSR & Friends Group).

Posted 12 years ago by snygyst Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Gimmie dat off topic
    Posted 12 years ago by Volkov Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Caretaker name?  Everybody had twenty or thirty names over there.  Probably part of the reason the game didn't last.
    Posted 12 years ago by Penn Daddel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There are many FS refugees here, hundreds of us!  Many of us will also be celebrating out one year anniversary at Glitch on that date.  This topic is dear to our hearts and we plan to have a day of Remembrance on March 15.  It is On Topic because we will be celebrating in Game.  We want to share the celebration with all of our Fauna friends and with our new Glitch Friends as well.  Keep an eye on this thread for updates and party information.

I hope that this is not moved to Off Topic because many people don't go there.  I would not go there to learn about a Glitch party.
    Posted 12 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • * Cries in a puddle of tears remembering FS *
    miss my 3 level twenties
    Posted 12 years ago by GiaTori Subscriber! | Permalink
  • yes GiaPaws, it still hurts. What I miss is the decorationpart and the fun of breeding. That is probably the only thing I miss in Glitch. Every piggy is the same :) hahaha.

Brib Annie: great idea!
    Posted 12 years ago by Atlantis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I really miss not being able to see my critters in FS.

And, since Glitch gave critters a lifespan (even in your own backyard - BOO!!! HISS!!!) I don't get to love up on my critters, here, for fear of killing them (Bigger BOO!! HISS!!)

And I really miss deco'ing out my sphere!
    Got my fingers crossed that some of the new housing stuff will, at least, satisfy that need to personalize our own spaces - just hoping that the "imagination to deco" doesn't make it too very hard to do anything.
    Posted 12 years ago by sgjo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I miss fs so much, my fauna, my spheres, all the worlds. I was talk2toni and westiefauna.
    Posted 12 years ago by Minnie Cooper Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What a nice thing to do, Snygyst! Thank you for organizing this. I was Rachel2635 and Happy-Go-Lucky in fs. I sure do miss my kids. *grabs hankie and starts blinking back tears* Hopes they are doing okay in the wilderness.......
    Posted 12 years ago by GreyGoose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • *sigh*

I miss that game so much.  I was Queenofthecows and LadyMooMoo (I had another alt but I can't remember it right now, hehe).  Mostly Queenofthecows.  I wish I had screen shots of my babies; when the game was ending I was so sad I really didn't play any more and I didn't think to take pictures :( 

Even if I can't be in the video because of that, though -- this is a lovely idea and I heartily support it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Clarabelle Subscriber! | Permalink
  •  Actually Brib, a while ago they said that any "announcements of groups" should be posted to 'off topics'; however, since the devs/mods rarely move the ones that start out here over to there anymore (ie, follow their own rules), and since this is of interest to so many that probably don't read "off topics"...it is handy that it showed up here....however, it's also handy so many of friends already joined the group so I have notification on my status page vice having to even come into the forums.

What a bitter sweet anniversary this will be...hopefully Glitch will have posted their 'big updates' by then and they will be as good if not better than what we all had in FS...but it is still pretty amazing to look back and see how truly amazing FS was, and how far ahead of it's time it was in MMOs (even if the main owners were too clueless to realize it and too business un-savy to sell the game to someone else who would continue to support it and grow it)...I just know that I've been bored in Glitch for many months now, and with FS it was well over 9 months before I even started getting a twinge of boredom there was so much to do there (home/sphere building on a 30x30x5 3D grid; breeding of 3 to 30+ avatars with variations in species, colors, patterns, eyes, ears, and tails; quests in the 6 regions - garden/rocky, snow, swamp, desert, beach, underwater (that had to be unlocked by the players via quests); player developed games (I so miss hide and seek); buying items from your friends' totems; gathering for the canopy lotteries; buying in the various shops; buying/selling in the marketplace; seasonal celebrations/special items; and so many other things). Even when you thought you had figured things out things were so randomized you almost always had happy surprises to keep you interested (especially in breeding), unlike here where the most random thing you have is what 'special item' is going to drop when I squeeze, pet, water, harvest, mine, smelt or grind...sigh...so much TRUE creativity that we had in that game.... 

And for those that want some walks down memory lane:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/faunasphere/ - anything tagged 'faunasphere' in Flickr
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/1367897@N24/pool/ - Springtime Sphere Awards Group in Flickr

b3achy (and my alts/mules: b3achg1rl/b3achbaby/b3achb1k3r/b3achk1tty/b3achk1tt3n/BCWillie/ChuckFan)
    Posted 12 years ago by b3achy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @b3achy.  Thanks for the description for those of us who never played. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Sooriyan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area. To most people this will be off-topic but to 100s it will still be regarded as a Glitch topic and relevant. Most of it will be "filmed" in Ur and will feature many Glitches.. in fact scaringly more than I thought. Just throwing in my tuppence worth.  :)
    ..... snygyst
    Posted 12 years ago by shadow_fire Subscriber! | Permalink
  • But it's not about Glitch itself.
    D:
    Posted 12 years ago by Volkov Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes I miss FS alot. I was always so busy in that game,,,, breedeing new babies, building, chatting, exploring. I am starting to get bored with this game. Hoping the updates will bring some new excitement.
    Posted 12 years ago by Mona Blue Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @b3achy.., thanks for your great description, agree 100%, been bored also for quite awhile, therefore missing fs more than ever. Someone really needs to invest and bring it back! 
    Posted 12 years ago by Minnie Cooper Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow... has it been a year since I zapped pollution in Faunasphere? I guess it must be.
    Posted 12 years ago by Enelyse Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Some of us have never heard of it.  What made it good?  what were it's drawbacks?  What made it fail?  discuss. 
    Posted 12 years ago by WalruZ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I echo WalruZ.

Echo... echo... echo... echo...
    Posted 12 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I third Walruz.  Clearly it was neat for you guys who played it.  Are you sad because you lost the community of friends you had there?  Or was the game really that awesome?
    Posted 12 years ago by Feylin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The game was "really that awesome" - truly. Many of us joined Glitch when FS closed so we still have the sense of community although I find it a bit hard in Glitch to have the same level of closeness we had in FS.

In FS, when you finished all your quest there was always trying to breed new fauna or sphere decorating or sphere hopping - always something to do and keep you busy - always full of wonderful surprises (aww shit, not another one- eyed, ecru thumper)  LOL

For those of you that wonder about our sphere and our fauna, I have a video clip of mine that someone made for me.  Go to my profile page and check out the link.
    Posted 12 years ago by MzMunchken Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Invite plz. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by daniel5457 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • well, I'm certainly interested... my FS name is the same as here
    Weird tho, all my flikr photos have vanished, anyone know why and how I can get them back?
    Posted 12 years ago by Latajea Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Loved my fauna, loved being a part of it from beta even  though I was only there a few short weeks before it's premature entry into live open membership. 

Leithwyn and Adelayde were both so much a part of my day and I never did get to finish as much as I wanted. I have pictures but I don't look at them. I can't even remember the names of some of the fauna because I didn't know how to take screenshots until the last few days. Yeah, I know ok, I'm no pc whiz. lol

I love being able to stay in contact with many friends here and the new friends that never knew what FaunaSphere was. Glitch is very different but I needed that difference, anything even remotely resembling FS would have been too much a reminder of what was gone. 

Community existed here before we joined, and though we brought friendship with us, in many ways it is very different from the way it was. I'm grateful for that difference and for the new experiences it has brought.

Nothing but FaunaSphere will ever be able to replace FaunaSphere, and now nothing will ever be able to replace Glitch but Glitch. Glitch is here and now and with much more customer support and appreciation than FaunaSphere ever showed us. 

Who knows what will happen two years from now? I don't, I just know that if Glitch is still here I hope to be too. 

Thank you snygyst, for what you are doing. I just don't think I can go there again.
    Posted 12 years ago by Leithwyn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • MzMunchken:

Thanks for linking the video, I was also curious about Faunasphere. I am personally one of the folks who also played/plays in Second Life, which is far different as well. It looked really lovely and bright :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Fogwoman Subscriber! | Permalink
  • In many ways, Glitch resembles Faunasphere.  FS was a browser based MMO.  In the beginning there were 12 species of Fauna.  We players were "Caretakers of the Fauna and of the polluted world in which they lived.  Our Avatars were the Fauna.  We each started with one Fauna of our choosing out of a choice of 3 breeds and a choice of 3 or 4 colors.  We each were given a tiny "home", a "Sphere".  We could then add to our spheres and decorate them.  We had a bit more creativity there to design.  It is my understanding that the new housing here will be more like that.  We will be able to expand and decorate out new Glitchy homes.  Decorating and Breeding Fauna were two major activities that most of us enjoyed. 

Each sphere had a maximum potential of a 40X40 block size.  We obtained many blocks by zapping pollution.  Later we could also purchase special blocks and win them as well.  Each sphere had a Totem.  each Totem manufactured a commodity which was sold from the Totem automatically.  With the proceeds we could purchase items for "Lux" (equivalent to currants).  We could also use "Bux" (purchased with real money) to buy some items.  Commodities from the Totems were donated to Community projects in return for Raffle tickets.  There were raffles every few hours.  We had stores and a marketplace.  The market was similar to the Auctions here except that they were in Game.  We had many of the same problems and benefits as the Glitch Auctions.

One major difference at FS was that everything was "Instanced".  There was a small limit on how many Fauna could occupy a location, about 30 or so.  Any more than the limit would be sent to another instance.  This hampered parties and other group activities. 

We did not have "rolling resets".  The Game shut down for about 2 hours on Wednesdays for maintenance and/or updates.  During the last 6 months or so we had Monthly updates with additions to the game.  These included new Goals (similar to Quests), new store items, new blocks, even some hats and a hat store - Lol!  We had seasonal areas and seasonal items and limited collector items and blocks.

FS was a social game.  We had Friends Lists.  Anyone on your list could visit your Sphere and purchase from your Totem.  We could "Totem Hop".  The Friends List was attached to a Friends Gate in our spheres.  You could visit your friend and then visit their friends and so on.  Totems had marquees in which the message could be changed.  I once had a party in which I got several friends to change their Totem marquees.  Each one had a clue to the next sphere.  The party started in my original sphere and progressed through several spheres until it ended at my new sphere.

We were able to have as many Alts or Mules as we wanted.  The Game was FREE to play but you could could subscribe at various levels just as we do here.  I had 3 spheres - one paid and two FREE.  With a paid sub you could have more Fauna.  The number of Fauna depended on your sub level.  As a Beta tester I had 15 Fauna in my original sphere.  When the game went live I subscribed at the second tier in order to keep my 15 (about $7 a month).  Free subs were allowed 5 Fauna as I recall but, as I mentioned, there was no limit on the number of accounts.  Fauna could not be traded or relocated to another sphere but egg trading was popular.  We had several worlds in which to zap pollution.  each with a different environment - swamp, desert, ice, forest and even underwater.

Those are the basics, there was much more to the game and most of us really doted on our virtual pets.  I am unable to have a real pet now and so I especially enjoyed FS.  The Fauna became "real" and I looked forward to my daily visits with them.  When Faunasphere ended, it was like losing a part of my family.  I was afraid that I not only lost my Fauna but my friends as well.  Glitch saved us!  We got together here and at Facebook and in Nord and in some player created Forums and groups and other games.  We are all over the Web and we all have Faunasphere in common.  We enjoy our memories of FS but we love Glitch and Nord and many other games.  No matter where we are, we find our Faunasphere companions and enjoy reminiscing about our Fauna families.
    www.flickr.com/photos/bribl...
  • Cannot believe it is almost a year since FS closed :( I can honestly say that I still miss it SO much, and it seems that I am not alone!!!!
    I would love to be a part of any party to remember FS and please feel free to IM me if I can do anything to help :) will try and dig out some FS photos at home. My name in FS was exactly the same as here....made it easier for peeps to find me :)
    Im secretly hoping that the lovely devs read these posts and somehow come up with a way to introduce some of the FS features into glitch, that would just be amazing :) Will never forget the excitment at hatching a much wanted new species of fauna, especially during the hatching quests!!! Anyway, we can hope eh!!
    xxx
    Posted 12 years ago by Milly21 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Brib-Beautiful explanation for those that did not play. That sums up the love I had for FS quite nicely. I enjoyed the breeding, decorating, and seasonal items. We do not have those here. It also was fun to do the more mundane things like zap, totem hop, and solve quests. It seemed like there were surprises around every corner in that game as well as friends.
    I haven't been playing much here but would love to do what I could for a reunion party. Please send me an email or in game note and I will see what I can do.
    P.S. Also joined new group!
    Posted 12 years ago by Holly Waterfall Subscriber! | Permalink
  • For anyone interested here is a video link to many of the FS quests made by Gypsy_Woman
    Posted 12 years ago by PurpleLogic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'll go through my FS pics (I've not been able to look at them since the game ended) and put the better ones up on Flickr. I was Yishana8.
    Posted 12 years ago by Mocha Maid Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Reading all these memories and remembering my own time in FS still makes me want to cry because I miss it so. I was never bored,there was always somewhere to go,someone to see and chat with,and there was always something to do. My favorite thing to do was building/creating spheres,which is why I had 15 main accounts,most of my spheres where themed,I had one for Halloween,another Easter/Spring,one for Christmas etc ~I put in a lot of time to create the decor,so tearing it all down again to make room for the next season was not an option. I also loved hatching for new patterns,new species etc, I'd sit up all night working on hatching/leveling fauna, in the hopes of being one of the first to hatch a new species,and get one of the coveted trophies ~alas I never got a gold trophy,but did get a few silver ones,which I proudly displayed in my spheres.Oh,and the joy of finally succeeding and showing your perfect fauna to your friends -priceless! It was a great place to be sociable and spend time with friends,but it was also a great game for those who prefer to play alone.
    I miss it.
    Posted 12 years ago by ~Scilly~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Funny, but even before this thread began I found myself thinking a great deal about Faunasphere. Subconsciously, I must have been aware of the anniversary. It's really nice to read all these nice things, to share the memories with others who also loved the game. I miss it terribly. Terribly. I do love Glitch, but it does not truly take the place of Faunasphere. Like others here, I never did get bored there. And I played from the beginning until the end. Literally. The gameplay there was simply the best I've found. I don' miss one fauna, or one world, or one activity. I miss the whole. I miss the entire experience.

I would love to participate on the 15th, in whatever everyone decides to do. I'm thankful no one can see me through my computer, since I'm sure I'll be bawling.
    Posted 12 years ago by Audaria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So it wasn't "Gears of War" then. 
    Posted 12 years ago by WalruZ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for the descriptions. It sounds like a lovely game and community- I'm sad for your loss, and hope that being together here in Glitch helps a bit.
    Posted 12 years ago by TransplantedEntwife Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lol, Walruz! It was not GoW or WoW or any similar game. We did fight though. The worst, most evil pollition were called "Viles". The Viles fought back. It sometimes took several Fauna to conquer Viles and then the darn things regenerated and the "war" began again. I fought pollution and Viles up to the end. This is why it's hard to believe that we "saved" the world.

Why did it end? We were told that it was not making a profit. That may be true but we suspect other reasons as well. Could have been poor management or business model. There were ways to make more money. Near the end add-on spheres were introduced. They were sold for real money. This was something we all wanted and could have been a money maker. Why wasn't it? It was conditional. The addons had to be purchased in order. For example, I wanted the Winter add on. In order to get that I was required to purchase three other addons fitst - Bummer! The result was that I did not buy any addons.  Also, the addons each contained a unique store from which only the owner could purchase - Huh?  Items in these stores were NOT sold elsewhere.  I would have purchased from these stores. They could have been a great source of income. Now, I could have asked a friend to buy from their addon and sell to me and this was done by others. For me it was an inconvenience that did not interest me. I have often been called "hard headed" by my Mother as well as "muleish".  If I could not purchase the addon of my dreams, if I could not purchase from the addon stores, I was NOT going to go through a friend to get what I felt I should have had access to. There was a money making opportunity lost. I was not the only one who felt this way. Had I known the End was in view, I would have bought all the silly addons and everything in their stores. We were given no hint that the end was coming until a month or two before. We were not asked for help. It was a shock and a painful loss for most of us.
  • Gonna stick this in Off Topic guys, but carry on! 
    Posted 12 years ago by Blanky Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Brib--- i agree, my theories on it closing was that they were downloadable game company trying to make a MMO which requires space, time, among other things, so they decided hey, we may be making a profit on this, but if all that space, time, employees, etc working on it was busy making more downloadable games, and Iphone apps, we could be making a bigger profit! <---- i think thats a great theory
    Posted 12 years ago by blackwidow Subscriber! | Permalink
  • (((Snygyst))) You are a darling!!

So glad to see FS still lives in the hearts of so many, including mine. Miss it everyday and the special community we had :(
    Posted 12 years ago by tweetypie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The REAL reason FS closed is that the DEVELOPER who made the game, left BFG.  When he did, there was a battle of who the game belonged to.  Guess who won? The Developer went one way, and BFG  has the game, so it was a standoff...and the game sits in limbo.  The Developer didnt feel he should have to pay BFG to take his game, and BFG didnt feel they had to pay him to take the game.  *sigh

Believe me... profit was not a problem, as i am sure my small fortune was at the top!!  lol

I miss FS, just as much as everyone here, but so glad, so many ARE here!  Just hope the developers listen to this thread, and the voices of their employees.  Glitch could easily be that next game that we come to LOVE as much as FS.  So far, no other game comes close.  Are you listening, Developers?  lol

Everyone has done a wonderful job in describing FS.  There are so many pics, and video's listed in the group that has been started.   Faunasphere commemoration - 1 year gone 

Thanks again David, for starting the group! Hugs :)

Posted 12 years ago by im4noles2 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hi there im4noles2...so very very agree with all you have said...such a shame..Toby more than likely signed over ownership rights to FaunaShpere when BFG bought his company..and spend big bucks bringing it to awesome life for us to play..When he left..how could he take FS with him? BFG owns it...and i really see it as spitework against him that they will never never  sell it or ever let it return to us...and that;s why no matter whatr we asked or suggested or begged..it was always the same old bs reply we were told till we went away........grrrr

Anyway...were you by chance our Photographer when the call went out to  come together at SBl's Sphere (May she R.I.P..we will never forget you Andrea) .so she could have memories of us all together  for the little time left for her? MDF Carley21 was with us..in fact she called DH, PhilBear & myself so we could be there for SBL...Carley does not have any pics of her Fauna or of that bittert-sweet photo shoot...Would you please post them in our FaunaSphere Commemorative if you do have any of those memories? Would be forever grateful to you (even if you don't...appreciate all you have done for all of us)  Thank you..xxoooxox
    Posted 12 years ago by SavannaBlueRose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you SBR....yes, she asked me to take the pics. We all have our crosses in life to bare, and some more than others.  Unfortunately, she was the latter, so definitely, may she rest in peace.....posted for you! (((hugs)))

Happy to help Carley out too! :)
  • to us it was home to them only a project
    I still miss you faunashpere
    Posted 12 years ago by coolplayer Subscriber! | Permalink
  • im4noles "The REAL reason FS closed..."

First, HI noles! Second, I don't doubt your info, but I would really like to read more about it. Do you have a link to your source? Thanks! and Hugs!
    Posted 12 years ago by Audaria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • saaaaaaaad. my caretaker name was sdurrie
    Posted 12 years ago by Samerina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Audaria  Hi.  Do not have a direct source anymore.  If you read the FS forums, you would have seen it mentioned quite a few times. Myself, was not in there much... lol  Obviously, it was kinda hush, hush even then as BF did not want their reputation ruined.  None of this was ever confirmed nor denied by them.  My source was people that knew Toby (the developer) personally.   Sorry, for the long response time.  hugs! :)