Topic

Thoughts on The Hunger Games movie?

I saw the Hunger Games movie, based on the book by Suzanne Collins, on Friday. I LOOOOVED it, as have most people who have seen it. Effie was amazing. Has anyone here seen it? What did you think? Predictions about the next one? Excitedexcited happiness!?

Posted 12 years ago by Cupcake Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Amazing.
    Posted 12 years ago by AwesomeCardinal2000 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My sister saw it and she said that because she had already read to books, the suspense of lacking.  She already knew everything that was going to happen!  I have not read the books, so I think I will LOVE it.   ;D
    Posted 12 years ago by Plexum Navillus Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I thought the movie was excellent and, as far as interpreting the book, I think they did a pretty good job.

It's really hard to take a popular book and make a half-decent film out of it - everybody has favourite bits that they don't want to see skipped. Some of it did seem rushed though... a couple of places where it felt like they were skipping from Required Scene to Required Scene without much in the way of coherent connecting material. But generally... well done.

SPOILERS BELOW

For example, I thought we didn't get to know enough about Rue to really care that much when she died. Also thought the moment when Peeta points to Cato's hand on the top of the cornucopia was underplayed a little... half the people in my party didn't notice it. I DID like that Katniss was fairly ordinary... attractive yes, but not a Hollywood-style beauty. Also liked the fact that we got to see the game control room... I thought that was a great addition. Oh, and if you hadn't read the book, the male District 11 tribute sparing Katniss' life "for Rue" makes no sense at all :-)
    Posted 12 years ago by Snazzlefrazz Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I totally agree with Snazzlefrazz!

SPOILERS BELOW

The only thing I kinda disagree with is snow at the end because I feel that in the first book, he was more of the "I control this game" type of person, but at the end of the movie, he seemed the kind of creepy stalker-ish person he starts seeming in the second book...  I loved how they did not focus on the fight scenes at all though.  Though I also wish that the ending dog scene could have been a bit more scary.  I mean in the book, they were huge deformed scary dogs, jumping up to bite them, something like eyes of the tributes that had died or they resembled the tributes that had died, that book gave some of my friends nightmares!  However in the movie they sort of resembled medium deformed dogs, not really suspenseful or scary in any way!  And I agree I liked the whole control room idea!
    Posted 12 years ago by wuilyl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • SPOILLLLLLERS

I thought it was excellent. The only parts I didn't like were:

1. Why was it Greasy Sae who gave Katniss the pin? There was no Madge at all in the movie, so I was mad about that.

2. In the book, you actually learn about Rue and care about her. In the movie, it's just... Meh. So, she's another tribute dead. The only reason you see the Katniss cares a lot about her is how she cries afterward. Basically same as Snazzlefrazz.

3. Why is the Cornucopia black???

Other than that, I thought it was very well done.
    Posted 12 years ago by SeerQueen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Spoilers of course...

Yep, gotta agree with wuilyl... the sense of evil from the books didn't really come across... the sense of cold-hearted evil manipulation and the ability of Snow & the game makers to reach into Katniss' heart and terrify her. I think the movie makers were forced to play the fights lightly in order to keep the licence young enough that all the fans of the books would be able to get in there & see it. Also we lost the clear message that shooting Cato was a mercy killing.

And I agree with SeerQueen... when Greasy Sae gave the pin to Katniss, I thought "huh??", but it made sense from the point-of-view of trying to get the screenplay to be as efficient as possible - it meant they could remove an entire character from the plot so they could give time to other things. Having Katniss initially give the pin to Prim though seemed like a big screw-up... she said "this will protect you"... and what was the very next thing that happened to Prim? Her name got drawn at the Reaping! LOL
    Posted 12 years ago by Snazzlefrazz Subscriber! | Permalink
  • also how are there supposed to be more movies without madge, since she is a bigger part in the last two books
    Posted 12 years ago by wuilyl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah, Snow kinda just seemed like a weirdo old guy in the movie.
    Posted 12 years ago by SeerQueen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Maybe they will introduce Madge later? As in the second movie. Anywho, LOVED IT!!!!! One of those excellent movies that make you laugh, cry and SCREAM! Poor old Gale XD
    Posted 12 years ago by Hua Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Haven't seen it yet, but i'm looking forward to seeing it!
    Posted 12 years ago by Syrup Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I haven't seen it but I have some other friends who LOVED the books so I feel like I Must go see it, and read the entire series.  I thought I kind of had an idea of what the books / movies were about but now reading the spoilers I have no clue lol.  X)  Can someone give me a brief shakedown of the premise / plot?
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm not gonna read any replies yet because I'm watching it on the weekend. I have read the book and that was fantastic. I really hope the movie was as good!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by 1 of a kind Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ive seen it, and am now planning to go see it again on friday! It was absolutely amazing. Not entirely true to the story, but as a movie, it was amazing. Effie was far funnier in the movie than in the book, but nearly everyone in The Capitol looked like they got vomited on by a rainbow XD
    Posted 12 years ago by The Rook Subscriber! | Permalink
  • .... I wanna get vomited on by a rainbow! :'(
    Posted 12 years ago by Hua Subscriber! | Permalink