Topic

Please help me hack my Mac

My 15" MacBook Pro runs way too hot when I'm playing Glitch. My fans' speeds just stick around 2000 rpm and I want to bump them up enough that I can rest my laptop on my lap sometimes. I found instructions for modifying AppleBlower.kext andAppleFan.kext in /system/library/Extensions/, but those files don't seem to exist anymore in Lion (I'm running 10.7.3). I can't be the only one and I'm hoping that someone smarter than me has a hack figured out. Anyone? Anyone? Please help a po' Glitch with only one ornery computer and two cooked thighs.

Posted 12 years ago by Aleph Zero Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I wish I could help, but all I can say is that I've been having a similar problem, so I'm hoping to keep tabs on this convo. I've just been using one of those schmancy laptop desks to save my legs so far... but I'm worried about my MBP running so hot for so long.
    Posted 12 years ago by Jennyanydots Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Might not be the answer you are looking for but I have my laptop sitting on a usb powered cooling pad that has 2 fans in it.
    $15-35 depending on where and what quality you buy.
    Posted 12 years ago by BlackWolf Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My laptop over heats a lot. Do you have a laptop cooler fan to sit your laptop on? It's really worth the 20 bucks or so for one. Also, sometimes I stick a desk fan at the back of my laptop and it works the best! Just some suggestions. Hope it helps!
    Posted 12 years ago by Eye Wonder Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes a USB powered cooling pad, that's what it's called! That is what I have and my laptop has not overheat since I've had one.
    Posted 12 years ago by Eye Wonder Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I appreciate the suggestions so far. Thanks y'all. I still want to tweak the internal fans but, if I can't, now I have a good Plan B.
  • Over the weekend my laptop doesn't get turned off because I'm either playing glitch or streaming movies with it and I haven't had any heat issues using these usb pads
    Posted 12 years ago by BlackWolf Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just ordered one! But still, I'm really curious about the innards of my machine and I'm not completely hopeless with the command line. I want a hackintosh. 
  • http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol

http://www.lobotomo.com/products/FanControl/

These apps will allow you to modify your fan speed.
    I've used both, but I prefer the first link.
    Posted 12 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Crashtestpilot, I'm trying out the first one now. Thank you! My CPU was pushing 100° C this morning. 

ETA: It works great. I have 3 settings: default, higher RPM, and Glitch.
  • With your permission, I'm going to close this tech support case. Please feel free to call again. We know you have your choice of tech support providers, and we would like to thank you for choosing CrashTestSupport.

Srsly, tho, super happy it's working for you.
    It was a life saver for me.
    Posted 12 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink