Topic

Poll results (with fancy graph!). Poll closed!

I couldn't find the original post (eta: it's in Off-Topic now!) but since 356 glitchen bothered to respond, I thought that y'all might like to know the results and see them, as everyglitch else is probably equally unaware that it got bootscooted. Hopefully staff will let this sit here for 24 hours or so, I think it's probably at least as on topic as "you know your [sic] addicted to glitch when" (which I am totally going to participate in, fwiw - my answer is "when you develop cravings for grilled cheese sandwiches and frog in the hole because your glitch just ate one" - I actually bought a panini maker because of this game and have loved it). 

Anyway. Poll results on "lobe" as a local use term/shibboleth (which I learned exists outside of Glitch, though I'd personally never seen it before, so it's not so shibbolethy after all - it even has an urbandictionary entry):

LOBE:

Love it. So cute! So awesome. 24% (87)
Hate it. Burn it. Kill it with fire. 51% (181)
IDGAF 25% (88)

Total votes: 356

PIE CHART! 
http://s15.postimage.org/h85kf0vsb/graph.jpg 

Posted 12 years ago by Aviatrix Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• More than 50 percent of people surveyed hate lobe.
    Posted 12 years ago by AwesomeCardinal2000 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • These percentages stayed pretty consistent +/- 1-2% over the life of the poll, and scaled with increased numbers rather than changing substantially. 
  • Unfortunately, the poll is self-selecting.  
    Posted 12 years ago by WalruZ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Not really, WalruZ. Anyone reading the forums (which is also the cohort I wanted to poll collectively about what I thought was a Glitchian shibboleth at the time) could participate. Totally open, and it was on General long enough to get a pretty big sample size. 
  • My only comment is that the last person to vote "IDGAF" should have voted "Love it, cute, adorable!". That would make the ratio 22:22:45
    Posted 12 years ago by usterka Subscriber! | Permalink
  • 'could participate' and 'did participate' are two different things.  Self selection occurs when the pollster does not control the population of respondents.  
  • Well, I controlled it by putting it on General and soliciting responses from the cohort I was curious about instead of the top secret Angry Grammarglitch group that nobody knows about. Or in the Snorgle Lobe Rubby Tum-Tum group that nobody knows about either. Those would have been way more skewed results. I wasn't on any kind of mission. I was sincerely just curious about acceptance/like of the term (or not). I have all this boring rambling I could do about that, if you really want to know just how tediously long-winded and pedantic I can be, IM me and ask about it.

Basically no big deal.  
  • ..Well...at least I wasn't in the minority ;) lol!
    Posted 12 years ago by ~Arabesque~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We're basically saying I ear you : ) I do say I ear you a lot daily! I even find myself saying I ear (lobe) you to my RL friends now..face to face and in person :D
  • Anyone reading the forums could vote. How is that biased? We have a diverse group of people who read this. WalruZ, I think this is a fair enough poll.
  • There was a reason the other two threads were moved to off-topic.  Hopefully so will this one soon.
    Posted 12 years ago by Tibbi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The IDGAF group is probably larger simply because people who didn't care or didn't know wouldn't click a link.

However, if you don't vote you don't matter, irl and in "lobe" lobing/hating/apatheticing type surveys.

Self-selection matters...but less so on an opinion poll than say on a "who plays this game" type poll. The results from the poll which wanted to know age/gender/location etc suffers more from a self-selection bias.
    Posted 12 years ago by M<3tra, obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ Metra um...the IDGAF was a link, an answer to the question (part of the poll!) Was the option I ticked : ) (or clicked :O)  - I do think it's interesting that game lingo has transferred into real life (for me at least).  That keeps this topic within the general forum I hope!

Maybe I should approach the Oxford Dictionary and introduce them to the new meaning of lobe lol
  • @Tibbi-  Dont see how this is "off-topic" but agreements about liking Glitch, asking if you look like your Glitch, or asking how to make money is "on topic".  Just because you dont like or agree with something doesn't make it off topic.  With over 350 Glitches responding in a day a lot of people are interested even if you aren't.  Maybe we should add a IDGAF button on all discussions ;)
    Posted 12 years ago by TheBoyWhoCriedRook Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Lobe" makes me gag. And this is coming from someone who used to love the Teletubbies, so that has got to tell you something. But... WTH - it's a free Ur, which means you are free to lobe someone if ya' wanna. ;)
    Posted 12 years ago by Hab Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's still getting stray votes, but I'm not making another pie chart. Or post. It is what it is. But hey: also proof that at least 371 people are reading the forums. Sometimes I wonder about that too. Heh. 

LOBE.
    Love it. So cute! So awesome. 23% (87)
    Hate it. Burn it. Kill it with fire. 52% (194)
    IDGAF 24% (90)Total votes: 371
  • Self selection bias occurs in any openly offered opinion poll like this one.  

Effectively what it means is that a sub-group of people who have a specific particular opinion or trait are generally more likely to participate in the poll than others - they "self select".   It has nothing to do with how many people the poll was offered to.  It has to do with the pollster not selecting out a random cross section of the population and then getting answers from that group.  'Real' polls carefully control the makeup of their respondent group.    

You are correct that it is no big deal.  It's no big deal because it's a fun little forum poll.  But self selection bias is a huge deal for real researchers investigating real problems.  What is unfortunate is how many people have not heard of it and do not understand what it is.  Again, it has nothing to do with who the poll was offered to, it has to do with how the responding sample was selected.  In these cases, the population itself determines who will be selected - the respondents select themselves.  That is generally regarded as producing inaccurate results unsuitable for scientific use.  

Basically (and with all due respect and a helping of lobe to Aviatrix), online polls like this one are worthless.  Indeed, they are actually worse than worthless because they present garbage results as if they were meaningful.  They may be  fun, but I hope our population understands them for what they are.  
  • Sorry for my impertinence.
    Please tell me more about our worthless garbage.
    Posted 12 years ago by Joan Holloway Subscriber! | Permalink
  • 1. It's not my word, and I don't even use it.  Had I answered the poll, my response would have been IDGAF. 

2. What I'm trying to discuss is a general ignorance about how statistics and statistical surveys work.   I assume you and others here are anti-ignorance.  

3. IDGAF respondents would automatically self-select out, underscoring my point.  

4. easypolls?  You note that you can respond more than once with multiple computers / browsers, or by just clearing a cookie.   

To reiterate - the results don't mean anything.  
  • Speaking of ignorance, I'm a woman, so, there's that. 

You expend all of this effort to prove that this poll doesn't mean anything, when it essentially boils down to this: some people feel this way about something; others feel alternatively. 

Clearly, there are some people who really like this word. Also, there are others who don't.

No one is planning on writing a thesis paper on this poll. Nor, I would wager, did anyone care enough to rig it. It's an online forum. People say things. People think things. It is unnecessary for you to come and lecture everyone about how the things we think are invalid because a poll was used to express them.
  • But whatever.
    Do what you do.
    I was wrong to try and silence you.
    I apologize.
  • I loathe lobe. I love love. I loathe those who love lobe. I love those who love love. Those who love lobe should be loathed. And those who loathe lobe should be loved.
    Posted 12 years ago by Haze Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for following your earlier post with that, mockingjay- I'd like to leave a reminder to be respectful to other players, per our Community Guidelines.

Thank you! :)
    Posted 12 years ago by kevbob Subscriber! | Permalink
    Posted 12 years ago by bored no more Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Do you know how amused I am reading a thread written by obviously, substantially intelligent people arguing over WGAF?  

*snorts*  pass the popcorn, please...
    Posted 12 years ago by scroobienoob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh kevbob, tsk tsk.   There's nothing disrespectful in anything mockingjay wrote.  I don't think there's anything disrespectful in this thread at all, but I'm betting someone more sensitive to such things would not lock into mockingjay's posts as the ones that probably should have been followed up with a nicer post.  

If I were mockingjay, right now I'd be really annoyed with you for implying something in my writing was not respectful.  Ya might not want to single out someone publicly like that, with only a hyphen separating their name from the reminder of the guidelines.  
    Posted 12 years ago by Saucelah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sauce, I modified my post.
    It was over the line.
    I'm still irritated because of the tenor of the discussion before I joined in, but it's fine. 
    I crossed the line.
  • *votes Saucelah's comment "up"
    Posted 12 years ago by scroobienoob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh! Boy! WTF are we arguing about?....ok this is just typical!!
    Posted 12 years ago by DarqueGoddess Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just be lovable, so those that choose to can LOBE and LOVE you!
    It's all GOOD!
    Posted 12 years ago by litlc Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Fine, hate Lobe all you want Glitches...  more for the rest of us!!! BUWAAHAHAHA
    Posted 12 years ago by Zooo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I can be pedantic sometimes, it's hard for me to control.  My apologies for the aggravating tone. 
  • "I find this meatloaf rather shallow and pedantic."
    Posted 12 years ago by Beans, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Are you calling me a meatloaf?
  • No, WalruZ, it wasn't you.
    I apologize.
    I was inappropriate and just... upset about other things.
    I'm very sorry. Your analysis was very informative.
  • WalruZ, if there are people who don't vote in this poll, who don't want to contribute to valuable research, that's their own decision.
  • Card - exactly.  self-selection skews results.  that's the point i'm making. 
  • But, but, the chart was great!
    Can we come up with a new catch-word that we can all be divided about?
    Let's use albatross as a verb, perhaps?

Such as, the wedding party was going well, until the groomsmen began to albatross in the lake?
    Posted 12 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • WalruZ, if you can't stand losing, don't vote in polls.