Topic

RIP Maurice Sendak

Maurice Sendak passed away due to complications of a stroke.at 83 today. www.nytimes.com/2012/05/09/...

Such an important part of my childhood.

In kindergarden {back in the mid 80's} our class LOVED "Really Rosie", which was a callaboration between Sendak & Carole King to make a musical out of a "The Sign on Rosie's Door" and "The Nutshell Gang" books. We watched the cartoon frequently in class, and listened to the record every day. Our Kindergarden play was just performing the songs {in costume!} - I was "the turtle that bit the dog'd tail" in "One Was Johnny".

In first grade, we were ALL about the "Little Bear" books. Sure, he "only" illustrated them, but still.... at that age, pictures in books are still VERY important.

Every year during the holidays, the version of The Nutcracker that i *have* to watch is the film version where he designed the sets.

I don't know anyone who doesn't know "Where the Wild Things Are" in some form.

I found out because "In the Night Kitchen" was trending on twitter, and I was floored as I thought this was one of his lesser known works {although one of my personal faves}, and couldn't figure out why it would be trending. I'm really sad about his passing.

Posted 12 years ago by Pixieyelsraek Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Where ever he's gone to now, that's where I want to go when I die.
    Posted 12 years ago by Carl Projectorinski Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sorry to hear this. Big part of my childhhod too. Chicken soup with rice, anyone? SIH Mr. Sendak.
    Posted 12 years ago by Voluptua Sneezelips Subscriber! | Permalink
  • As a kid, Sendak's books originally inspired me to make my own storybooks (In The Night Kitchen was also my favorite!).  Now that I've gotten older and become a illustrator out in the field, I've also realized what a fantastic man he was and the amazing outlook he had on children, imagination, and life.  Researching his history a few years back made me realize I still have a lot of growing up to do, as an artist and a person.

And I can only hope that I grow up into someone like him.
    Posted 12 years ago by Classical Subscriber! | Permalink
  • :'(
    Posted 12 years ago by AwesomeCardinal2000 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh no. :'( I didn't know till now. I always loved Where the Wild Things Are... RIP Mr. Sendak!
    Posted 12 years ago by SeerQueen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • RIP Mr. Sendak! May you rest in peaces. :(
    Posted 12 years ago by Misty Power Subscriber! | Permalink