Topic

New Pet Tricks!!

Okay, while the "closed" sign is still up, I thought I'd share a little tale of one of my cats.

Today, either Angel learned a new trick, or she taught me a new trick.
Our cats have free roaming outside when the weather's nice. Today, I had the back door propped open for them, though they also have a cat door off the front porch -- for when it's warm enough to have the inner door open.
After lounging in my lap for a while, Angel wandered off to do whatever it is that cat's do when they're not warming their human's lap. About 20 minutes later, I heard a squeaking sound over the intercom which lets me listen in on my yarn shop. Thinking one of the cats had brought in a live bird, I hurried in to find Angel sitting in the porch, waiting for the door to be opened. She had been pawing at the glass door, and because she doesn't have front claws, her pads make kind of a squeaking noise when she "scratches" at the door.
Now, I KNOW she went out the back door, because that's the door that's propped open. And I strongly suspect that she's made the connection that the sounds she hears on the intercom are coming from the front of the shop (she surely hears me talking to customers while she stays upstairs napping). So, did she just learn how to get me to open the front door for her? Or did I just learn to come when I'm "called."

Posted 12 years ago by kastlin Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Hahaha! This is awesome! I love how cats train their parents sometimes. Effin adorable. Thanks for sharing! =^.^=
    Posted 12 years ago by starrkittyface Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks, starrkittyface! My first thought was "oh, look what she learned!"  Then, as she walked past me to the food and water bowls, I thought "or did she just teach me?"
  • haha, I agree with SKF :-)
    Posted 12 years ago by Rook Subscriber! | Permalink
  • kast....kitties r verah, verah smart. i suspect that the 'walk' over to the food and water bowls was more of a 'saunter'....  ROFL   >_<
    Posted 12 years ago by CoffeeSnob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well, CS, probably, but with Angel it's hard to tell. She pretty much always walks like a princess, so that sense of entitlement never really changes.
  • :D     kitties are so intelligent, aren't they?
    Posted 12 years ago by CoffeeSnob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • cats are by no means stupid. she knew exactly what she wanted you to do, and you did it. So I am inclined to think she just taught you a new trick lol
    Posted 12 years ago by Serenity's Mommy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes, Angylee, I'm afraid that's pretty much the conclusion I reached. Though how cool is it that she figured out I'd be able to hear her over the intercom!
  • Even the kittehs are learning to use technology against us! O.o

Hahaha. The sense of entitlement with which cats "saunter" (Perfect word, CoffeeSnob) is one of the reasons i love the feline style. Oh! And I love whenever they biff (fall off a ledge or mis-step to make something fall off a table) they automatically clean themselves like "You didn't see that! I'm still classy and graceful!". Gigundo heart to kastlin's kitty Angel for giving us this wonderful thread! =^.^=
    Posted 12 years ago by starrkittyface Subscriber! | Permalink