Topic

This is my goodbye: the best i could do; and it won't do justice

If you read my earlier post, then you know that I have lost all faith in TS due to either the actions of one staff member, or the integrity/security of posts in the forums.  Posts should not be changed.  My time on here, since September, has been an amazing experience.  This was my first game of the kind and, though I have friended many of you, I am not a part of the FS refugees; I knew little of what to expect.  Gameplay was like the game name:  Glitch(y).  However, somehow it worked.  And I can’t count the memories and good times.   Friends have come and gone; and, now is my time.  But I hope to share with you some of the greatest memories that I have from the game.  That means this post is going to be long, but so many roads of friendship. 

When I started out in the brain, and wondering around as a first time online-game player, I was lucky to find how friendly people in game were.  2020 Smoke, this-is-me, Treena and Teena (took me a while to get that one right), Xev, and GiaPaws!, you were some of the first I met.  This-is-me brought me under the bridge at GGW for the first time.  I loved the game.  I still had no clue what I was doing (that will be a common thread).  Somehow I loved this game of wondering around “aimlessly”…I take that back, it makes complete sense that I loved this game because I could wonder around aimlessly—the people made the game.

I soon bought my first house on Ojan Repine---don’t know why, but I landed there.  My neighbors were awesome.  Mik Powers and Marie’s dad---hell, I think Marie’s whole family lived there.  Great people.  It was there that I met  Jessenya…she wasn’t quiet for long.  And after a few more trips to GGW, I met probably my best friend, Wrong Way.  For someone wandering around aimlessly, finding Wrong Way seemed natural and right.  Street parties with my neighbors Jessenya and Jillybean followed—Jessenya always had plenty of drinks.

I thought to myself, this is the greatest game ever!  I met Malist, Herb Herbally, Serenitycat, Ascher, Finley Linker, spiceypup, RM and Jade.  I loved it.  A game where the point is to help others out.  I was amazed with how far the others had leveled and how much they had and how much they shared.  I hadn’t leveled, but I hope that I was as kind and giving to you all, as you were to me.  Then I got into fights with Gertiemack and thepheebs over trees.  Those trees were mine. 

Wrong Way then introduced me to the Mefis.  Surprisingly, this group was just as welcoming to a newcomer.  Phixion, Jessypie,  and TN, I think you were the first that I met.  I remember the first day, working on a crossword with TN in chat, while wandering through the game.  Phix and Jess, my two favorite chicks.  All of the mefies took me in with open arms—despite my continued antics trying to fill houses with Random Kindness, Gems, grain, and any other object.  Taking trips around Ur dressed as a rainbow with balonious, Sweet Tea Biscuit, Valett, Phix, Jess, aglet and WW.  LX, you made it into that photo too :  http://imgur.com/FhznV   KG, Meghan, Katgamer, AdventureKitty, Moehr Ossum, Mr. OS, Quois, juv3nal, FromOhio (who is not, they are a band)…Thank all of mefie so much.  I’m going to try to post some of my alltime memories, to sum up some things.  The Ancestral Lands Races…where I met many of you.  Teleporting out of the backyard.  The mission of 100 rubes on one street.  Levitation school.  So many pranks and shared laughs.  Even when I was standing afk forever as Zombie Clark, things were great.  We all have so many memories of getting into places that we shouldn’t have been.  Jessie getting us into hell bar early, which led to me showing Tom C, tis and Lx.  

While I might not have made the record for streets, the kindness in glitch lead to another getting one extra street.  When you look at the leaderboards—to me it is you all—so many roads, so many memories.  Upon posting this, I will open up a party pack…either way; this will be my last road.  I hope you will be there.  

Posted 12 years ago by Clark Griswald Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

Previous 1 2 3 4 5
  • Sorry, without decent paragraphs, I can't bring myself to really care. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Tibbi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow, wall of text! Not gonna read it until you make this into paragraphs.
    Posted 12 years ago by Mikah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I used to write things like this, and then I started taking my psychiatric medication, and I felt better.  -_-

This is NOT a joke by the way, and it's not meant to be hurtful, but helpful.  I think you may want to see a therapist.  >_<
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Why leave, Clark? You're a great asset to the Glitch community. It's not fun at all when people leave..

And Tibbi, don't you think it's rude to post "I can't bring myself to really care." If you don't care, why post and have the possibility of hurting someone's feelings?
    Posted 12 years ago by I'm Chris Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Summary for all who hate the wall of text: he's had the time of his life for months, met hundreds of new friends, and doesn't enjoy much else as much as this game, but he had a few of his words altered in a forum post so obviously he is now forced to retire.
    Posted 12 years ago by FyodorD Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bad formating isn't going to kill anyone if you don't want to read it then don't but don't complain about it in the thread and say you don't care because he didn't press enter enough.
    Posted 12 years ago by koolaroo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm sorry to hear the game has taken a downward turn for you Clark : (   I've seen you around a bit and am sure you'll be missed by many of your Glitch friends. 

If I may, please consider taking a couple of days away from the game.  Let yourself calm down and get some 'you' time.  Then if you still feel as strongly as you do now, by all means delete yoru account.  I would just hate for you to make a rash decision (understandable from what you have written) but all the same, the friends you have made here seem to have given you a lot of fun and laughs over the past months.

All the best to you for whatever you do decide to do : )
    Posted 12 years ago by ~Arabesque~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Changing posts should be prohibited. Why doesn't staff just delete them?
    I thought this game was about listening to players opinions, not about recreating them for some pointless reason. I am very disappointed in TS for doing this.
    Sorry this happened to you Clark. I hope they try to resolve this issue with you.
    It's been great playing with you and you will be missed. :(
    Posted 12 years ago by Herb Herbally Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think RageQuit posts are the height of rudeness.  Why don't they think about the hurt they are causing others?. So any possible rudeness on my part gets lost in the noise. :>
    Posted 12 years ago by Tibbi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • FWIW, I thought it was 100% bullshit that your text was altered (with no indication by whoever that they altered it and no warning) AND that the thread was locked when you called them out on it. 

If there was a concern about the language then;
    1) Someone should have asked you to change it, or
    2) Said that it was going to be changed.

I've seen profanity in other posts and it was never changed. So, there is either going to have to be a blanket policy or whoever got their panties in a twist needs to step and admit to censoring.
    Posted 12 years ago by Jarhaven Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What?
    Posted 12 years ago by Palindrome Subscriber! | Permalink
  • " I think RageQuit posts are the height of rudeness.  Why don't they think about the hurt they are causing others?. So any possible rudeness on my part gets lost in the noise. :>"

Tibbi, was there any rage in this post. I don't have my contacts in, but my normal vision isn't THAT bad and I saw no rage in this post.
    Posted 12 years ago by I'm Chris Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bye!
    Posted 12 years ago by DamitaJo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Clark - I thought your original post was immature, but I completely agree that your words should NOT have been changed.  That freaks me out, that staff would do that, and I'm very sorry it happened to. I also don't like how they locked the tread after you called them out for changing it.

TL;DR - I think all the complain-y, rage quit posts suck, but no one should have the power to alter a poster's words without permission/explanation.  That is just too Big Brother for my tastes.
    Posted 12 years ago by Aurora Dellaterra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • OMG, the problem with RageQuitters is that they never just *leave!* There are days of forum posts about why they're quitting, and what got their knickers in a twist, and how it used to be great, and how no one listens to them, ad nauseum. If you're going, just go.
    Posted 12 years ago by glassy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would leave to if devs changed my posts to mean something else without my permission.
    Posted 12 years ago by La Mariposa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • *insert comment about butthurt here*

No idea what's going on, but I'm sure it's tl;dr for me to care.
    Posted 12 years ago by Tonya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Eh, it's their site. If they want to edit what's on there, fine by me.

I mean, they're not the Government. They can censor whatever they want.

If you come spray paint words on the side of my house, I have the right to paint over them. Or alter them to look like other words.
    Posted 12 years ago by dm Subscriber! | Permalink
  • love and hugs to clark!
    I didnt see what happened , I reserve full judgement -however , just from the looks of the comments though then I don't think I am too happy about it.
    If a post is edited by staff then it should have a tag on it that this has been done-simple.
    And I agree with Jarhaven -I've seen plenty of posts that contain cussing -so that's not an excuse .
    Finally, Clark - I hope you choose to take a break and stay , or just stay with no break :D. A bunch of us have had good times- just like you re-counted above--and hopefully more good is to come . If you choose to completely go- I can respect that and wish you ALL the best.

*rolls eyes at people commenting to complain.* You know- if a post does not affect you or apply to you -then you have the freedom to NOT comment and ignore said post.* rolls eyes again*
    Posted 12 years ago by serenitycat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • hahaha the government.
    Posted 12 years ago by Herb Herbally Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "...then you have the freedom to NOT comment and ignore said post." But not the obligation. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by dm Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Maybe it's because everyone else is already being so cranky, but I feel surprisingly UNcranky after reading this. And I'm generally the cranky one. 

I thought this was a really lovely expression of appreciation for the game - it's clear that the player really deeply felt the game (as I recall, this is the same guy who just last week was posting a somewhat creepy stalkery I LOVE STOOT post to forum and posting images of himself standing vigil outside of the dude's house) and found a sense of really living and being communal here. It was a very long post, but I got the sense that it was important to him to express his remembrance and gratitude toward these people he met as glitches in this game - each one, evidently. And there's something very sweet about that. 

I think people who burn the brightest are apt to flame out in a burst of pyrotechnics in general - it's just emotional physics. Swing too hard one way, and you're going to swing too hard the other way. I'm not criticizing; I don't yell at gravity when I fall down. Emotional physics. Everyone has their own.

For someone who was as profoundly emotionally invested as this guy, having his post changed would naturally feel like a pretty big deal. Whether or not that means he needs mental health counseling is something best left to actual friends and family or an intake counselor, not forumites (and frankly, I've seen forum people be WAY crazier than this here, including one of the ones saying he needed "help" so check before you wreck as far as calling a pot a kettle).

I think it's probably a *great* idea for this guy to take a sabbatical from the game and come back later and play in the spirit in which the game is probably intended - as casual fun. Sometimes it gets bigger. Sometimes people get really intense. Sometimes they even have spectacular public meltdowns. We've all seen more than one here. 

Have some compassion for the guy. Just because it's not how you play doesn't mean that this isn't truly painful for him. So painful that he feels he has to leave a game he truly loves because the emotional stakes have clearly exceeded the parameters of what the game and the devs are meant to provide. 

At least he recognizes that. I'm not sure everyone does. So also: give him some credit. I don't think this is a RageQuit. I think this is sad and necessary and smart.  
    Posted 12 years ago by Aviatrix Subscriber! | Permalink
  • And for the love of all that is good in the world, don't pile on and jump him out like he's leaving a gang and the ritual of farewell is a sound beating by people who are circling you and kicking you in the nads. Come on, people. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Aviatrix Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +100 Aviatrix

I think I didnt really get why people "go on sabatical" from a game or quit over one action until reading this.  Before I thought it was pretty funny/sad commentary on how whiny people are nowadays;  but a lot of people are genuinely emotionally invested in this game as much as any other social grouping. That, I feel, is probably the best compliment or accolade the developers could get ironically enough. Hopefully this isn't a permanent departure, but either way I think it is a good way to close a period in his life and people should respect his choice.

PS-  I disagree with his view point, but I appreciate and respect his views.
    Posted 12 years ago by TheBoyWhoCriedRook Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You guys, don't be mean in this thread please, Clark is trying to share good memories. If you have to complain about wall of text or rage quit, please go elsewhere.

Clark, we love you and you know it. You're welcome at Mefi anytime, we'd love to have you. You have been a great friend and I'm so glad I got to know you. <3 Go in peace my friend, I'll see you around on Twitter.
    Posted 12 years ago by KatGamer Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aw Claaaaaaark, dont leave because of this. :(
    But, well, I've met you partially because you went over to Jess quite a few times. or quite a lot, lol, and Id always be there. So long Clark <3
    Posted 12 years ago by Ameh.Loves.Fudge Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like how some people upthread clearly show their asses by sipping some digital courage for pile on, proving they didn't even read. And if they did, then really lack some comprehension skills.
    Posted 12 years ago by Jarhaven Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm with Aviatrix. It's a sweet post, the original one. No need to pile on the snark. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Axa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • One thing that occurs to me is that it sounds like everyone is tired--players, devs, founder, staff. Everyone. I think we all need a nap. Fun as this is, it will be more funner if we are better rested. And probably a couple of cocktails wouldn't hurt. Or maybe cookies. *stepping away from computer to take own advice.* Night night all. And thanks TS and all who play this nifty game for creating an experience we all care deeply about. That's a remarkable thing. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Axa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ Axa...good post and I agree.
    Posted 12 years ago by Anya Karenya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aw Clark, I'll miss you. <3
    Posted 12 years ago by Valette Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Clark, I don't think we've ever met in-game and I wish we had. I will be sad to see you go and I completely understand why you are. This whole situation is just not okay. Thank you for sharing your history in the game. It was sweet to read.
    Posted 12 years ago by Aleph Zero Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Clark your presence in the game has made it so much better, I'll miss you deeply.
    Posted 12 years ago by Quoise Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Clark, I saw your post last night (my Aussie time) and was shocked. I've always found you to be one of the nicest, caring people I have met on Glitch and knew something had to be very wrong for you to respond as such.

I'm sorry if you choose to leave, but understand your frustration. Personally I have never found any forum where moderators change anything without leaving a 'staff edited' notation.

It's been a trying couple of days for Staff and players alike on Glitch and deep breaths all round wouldn't go astray. 

Clark I hope you decide to stay and move on from this, today is the first day of the rest of our Glitchen life.
    Take care my friend, hope to see you around Ur, hugs Teena
    Posted 12 years ago by Teena Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Personally, I'd love to see a staff member come in here and explain what happened with the editing, instead of hushing it up.  The fact that they can do that without notice makes me very uncomfortable.

ETA: I see that stoot has commented on, and locked, the other thread on this topic, stating that we don't need two threads about the same thing, so perhaps he'll come in here and explain what happened?
    Posted 12 years ago by Aurora Dellaterra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ...that was really rude, Auren...I know this guy may be ragequitting, but he's at least being reasonable about it now, and this particular thread is just tribute to the more positive times he's had here. I don't see how this is indicative of some serious mental issue, and I'm kind of offended that you'd say something like that even if he'd gone about this in the least civil way possible.

Clark, I didn't know you, but I'm sorry that certain actions have cost you your faith in TS, and wish you luck in the future. But remember that all organizations make mistakes; if you really feel they crossed a line here, I won't stop you, especially since I still need to read up on what exactly happened; but if on the other hand your intent is to stick to companies that only please you, you may find yourself with nowhere to go.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kestin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't know all the facts, but IF a forum post was edited without any overt notice or indication to either the poster or to subsequent readers, I think that is very unfortunate. I hope it was a one-time mistake.

I have found TS to be a careful, responsive company. If a staff member did this and has the approval of the power-that-be, I am dismayed. It would not be the type of considerate action I hope to see from TS.

TS can censor me (read: us) as much as they like—it's their space. But I would hope they'd respect the continuity of the community conversation by indicating that they've done so (and even better: why).
    Posted 12 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Personally I have never found any forum where moderators change anything without leaving a 'staff edited' notation.

I have. It's often  because they're building a massive website and haven't got round to improving non-core functionality to the level that you expect from other, more complete, sites. 
    Posted 12 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Change your post? You couldn't find other words in the dictionary to use besides the word fuck? I saw your post yesterday and it was completely rude and I LOVE the fact that TS changed it.

This isn't a free country. This is a game called Glitch. Don't go bashing on TS and then whine and complain that your post got changed. Before posting I suggest taking a deep breath and really think about what you're going to say in a mature manner. Reacting in anger is NOT the way to be heard. Using words such as you did in the manner you did was uncalled for.

I do not read this post and feel bad for you, I feel even more disgusted. Good bye threads are nothing more than attention seeking threads. NEVER has anyone EVER left after making one of these. If you have such deep problems with TS why don't you write to them personally instead of taking this BS up on the forums.
    Posted 12 years ago by Eye Wonder Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I didn't see what was deleted.  Most people probably didn't see what was deleted because we were busy with sorting the new houses yesterday.   

Since I didn't see it and can't see it I'm not going to assume that staff was right and you were wrong.  I'd have to see it to judge for myself.    Deleting whatever it was does not appear to have made the issue go away.  Just leaves unanswered questions and some mistrust.
    Posted 12 years ago by Treesa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think the standard was set when Stoot referred to the "effing awesome" -- self-censoring my reference to his direct statement here -- changes made to the game, for there are indeed other words in the dictionary (albeit, the overworked "awesome" wouldn't be my preference). I once complained about what I felt was an obscene name given to one of the animals in the game; the guide to whom I complained said I was free to change it but that she didn't see anything offensive about it. I guess freedom to change that which offends isn't confined to players or pixels.
    Posted 12 years ago by Mollie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So Clark was edited for swearing, which I'd usually say "Too bad" to - but the fact that a major staff member and developer will post swears while the players get edited for posting the same things, that does irk me a little.

There are chat logs that show this same staff member that the previous poster referred to swearing in game.  So the staff gets to go around being offensive and swearing as if it's nothing - but the players get edited for saying the same thing?

I've left many a game for such reasons.  I really wish I didn't just do a little research and learn about this double standard.  Right now I'm disgusted with the ignorance of the Staff member for speaking that way around players and the public to begin with, but to censor players for using the same words, that really shows something strange to me.

I hope I can find it within myself to be happy and move on.  Maybe I'll take them up on the whole refund thing, this is pretty cheesy to find out...  I really do wish I didn't go searching and find these logs and screenshots people saved of the staff member swearing in game...sigh...  Ah well.  "Do as we say, not as we do."

Don't get me wrong, I *hate* swearing and think it's great to edit anybody who does so in a game such as this - but that includes Devs that go around doing the same thing.  I'm not even talking about the above instance the poster before me mentioned, there are MULTIPLE more instances of the same staff member going around using the F word constantly...

So sure, get out your tiny violins and laugh at me for being upset by it - but I hope you know how to play your violin in a bent over position as you take it up the rear from staff who disrespect you and edit you for saying the same things that they do.
    Posted 12 years ago by Mewmew Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ^^Damn lol O_O
    Posted 12 years ago by Polly Nomial Subscriber! | Permalink
  • About that f-word. It could be said there's a difference between "this is f-ing great" (intent: positive) and "f-you all devs, you're just a bunch of f-ers" (intent: negative).

(This is not really a comment on the topic at hand, because I didn't see whether only that particular word was used by Clark before.)
    Posted 12 years ago by San Serif Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aw, Clark. I understand why you're upset, and I wish that either this hadn't happened or that it could be sorted in some beneficial way.

I'm gonna miss you. Be well. <3
    Posted 12 years ago by Aglet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I hope you have good time while you're gone, have a GREAT time, Clark!
    Posted 12 years ago by FTW BACON!! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aw, Clark. I don't know what happened here but I'm sure going to miss the adventures we had. I hope you will consider returning someday. 
    Posted 12 years ago by tis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sorry I turned down your invite, big guy. :( 

As you know, I've been MIA most of the time. Take it or leave it, this game is great for whatever you want to do whenever you want to do it. When and if you decide to come back, it (and we) will be here.
    Posted 12 years ago by Xev Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It really irks me that Stoot would choose to close down my complaint post without addressing my concern and the concern of many other posters on that page--and where he moved them to, this thread.  I kept the two separate because they are separate topics.  I brought it to the forum, because my words in my thread were changed in the forums.

In my mind, Stoot and Tiny Speck are trying to sweep this issue under the rug, as if it never happened.  I didn’t violate anything--I think this is why I wasn’t suspended from play.  The only name I want is my own be cleared.  For those who say the Staff has too much going on right now, I’d point out that Stoot took the time to issue one response—closing down the other post.

1)      Was my post altered by someone other than me and without public notice that it was changed?  (Terms say everything is logged)
    2)      Were the altered expletives in my first post directed at anybody or in the subject matter of the post? 
    3)      With hundreds of other posts using vulgarities, including yours, Stoot, why was mine picked to be edited? 
    4)      Was this a one-time lapse in judgment by a TS staff member or is it the policy to edit posts without making it known; and, if it is policy, why is it so selectively enforced and without notification that a post is not the words of the original poster? 

Many people have asked that I step away from the game for a bit and cool down, then give it a go again.  One person posted that directing the f word at people is different than saying f-this.  I agree; that is why I thought my first post was fine.  Never in the forums have I cursed at another player, until my words were changed.  Many others have asked that a Dev step in to address the issue.

Instead, the threads have been locked to move them to the end of the forums so they will vanish.  These questions need to be answered for all people who use the forums.  I am bringing this here, because this is where it started.   Someone, I feel, hurt my character’s name by changing the language in my post—I further hurt it with my response that followed.  All that is now left from the thread are my actions that followed, which has left others with an unclear picture of what happened.  Please, just answer the questions—don’t lock this post or refer it to another post.  I appreciate the kind words and thoughts of those who posted; but, if I am to return, I cannot do so without these answered.
    Posted 12 years ago by Clark Griswald Subscriber! | Permalink
  • They're not seperate topics. You don't need two threads about yourself.
    Posted 12 years ago by Helvete Subscriber! | Permalink
Previous 1 2 3 4 5