Topic

TED - Do you have a favorite talk?

Are you a TED.com fan? I am! For those who may not be familiar with it, here is the description of what TED is from the website:
TED is a nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. It started out (in 1984) as a conference bringing together people from three worlds: Technology, Entertainment, Design. Since then its scope has become ever broader. Along with two annual conferences -- the TED Conference in Long Beach and Palm Springs each spring, and the TEDGlobal conference in Edinburgh UK each summer -- TED includes the award-winning TEDTalks video site, the Open Translation Project and TED Conversations, the inspiring TED Fellows and TEDx programs, and the annual TED Prize.

The website posts a new talk every day, each under 18 minutes. Anytime I need a lift or feel sad about the state of our world, I go to TED and my belief in humanity is restored. 

It's really impossible to isolate a favorite when it's the best of the best in so many areas of study and thought, but just to get us started I thought I'd post these 4 very different but wonderful talks. I hope you enjoy them and I look forward to watching your favorites.

This one is about amazing eco friendly architecture:
www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/b...
This is a composer who creates a virtual choir:
www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/e...
A flying robot:
www.ted.com/talks/a_robot_t...
A unique way to understand complex math concepts through crochet:
www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/m...

Posted 12 years ago by Riverwalker Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I agree Riverwalker.. I can usually find something fascinating or encouraging at Ted.  I watched your eco friendly architecture one... awesome!!   

Ian Dunbar: dog-friendly [human-friendly] training and how it relates to positive human relationships

Brene Brown:  the power of vulnerability
    Posted 12 years ago by Ooola Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I watch these talks almost every night with my kids and hubby.
    I really love the one with the bipolar man talking about his illness, and where the line is drawn between "super creative" and "too manic to be considered acceptably normal".  Also how he mentions being prescribed something just because it's on the dr's pen.  lol.  :)
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A brain scientist suffers a stroke
    Posted 12 years ago by sudv ♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just saw the intro for the series. Haven't caught any of the episodes, but I may record them for later.

I rarely watch television.  Great idea for a series though.
    Posted 12 years ago by Thursday Soleil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, golly, there are so many good talks!

I have too many bookmarks on ted.com but I put one talk on top of my bookmark list: My mushroom burial suit.

I like a brain scientist suffers a stroke talk. It's an amazing story, yet inspiring!
    Posted 12 years ago by Milolin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You can see my favorite talks here
    Posted 12 years ago by Piratice Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm afraid I'm not sure if the one I like the most exists or if it was a dream.  I have extremely vivid dreams...

A guy was wearing some piece of technology around his neck, like a pendant on a necklace.  He held it near a surface, like a desk or a  wall.  It projected (?) a keyboard illumination.  He typed on the keyboard that was just coloured light on a table.

Seriously, no idea if this was real or not!  It looked like a Ted conference video...but it also looked like one of my dreams!
    Posted 12 years ago by Minkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Minkey, it was real. :) But when I watched this one, I really wondered if it was real or not. The device is called Sixth Sense.

Here's the link: 

blog.ted.com/2009/03/10/six...
    Posted 12 years ago by Riverwalker Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you, Riverwalker!!  I wanted it to be real, it just sounds so...unbelievable!
    Posted 12 years ago by Minkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I liked David Blaines TED talk :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Syrup Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh and I LOVE the one where they demonstrated the device that lets paralysed people walk.. it's like an exoskeleton.. the first one in the show was a military guy using it to carry a heavier load of equipment and stuff... but the second person that demonstrated it was a lady who had broken her back and was told she'd never walk.. and they gave her the ability to walk.  <3 <3 <3  :`)
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/20...
    Posted 12 years ago by Mr. Dawgg Subscriber! | Permalink