Topic

Things that grind your gears

Seriously, what is wrong with some people? Sitting is a massive queue at the petrol pump today the woman in front of me went into the shop to pay for her fuel and stood in there flicking through magazines knowing full well there was a line a mile long. After reading the equivalent of War and Peace she gets into her car and proceeds to start slapping on make up on her face and then starts telling everyone to eff off when beeping their horns.

I really wanted to bludgeon her with her blusher brush!!

Ah, that was very cathartic. What grinds your gears?

Posted 12 years ago by Troll Doll Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I suggest you install monster wheels on your car and roll over her.
    EDIT: I do that all the time!
    Posted 12 years ago by OMG BACON!! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • not much actually, but...

when someone is next in line after me in a grocery store and starts pushing their way to the register when I'm still paying.  Oh, wait your turn!
    Posted 12 years ago by Minkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would have to loud enough for them to hear start complaining about the burning and itching and hoping the doctor figures out what it is soon, if someone was pushing up in line on me.  

Always pull out the disaster itch in uncomfortable stranger situations.   Yeah it could backfire but most of the time it will serve the purpose. :D

As for the rude lady ... I wish evil things on that lot and I probably have some karma issues on the way.   I have been really nice to a lot of people to balance it out ~.^
    Posted 12 years ago by Thursday Soleil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ewwwwwwwwww, @itchy rashy!
    My friends and I used to do that when we hiked alone at night...bunch of girls running through the mountains worrying about strangers..."how's that itching, does it still burn?" etc.  I think I remember it being more...graphic...ewww!
  • the sound polysyrein makes when you touch it. also socks.
    Posted 12 years ago by Anime_panda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The lack of consideration for others gets me going too.  

When grocery shopping and the person parks their cart in the middle of the aisle, then stands *exactly* so their body effectively takes up any remaining empty space I might have used to get by.  Then when I say, Excuse me, the person huffs and looks irritated.  Or does this only happen in egocentric Los Angeles?  
    Posted 12 years ago by Ooola Subscriber! | Permalink
  • very, very, very funny video!

and, being from west LA, oh, yeah, I do know what it is like there!!  But, we have that here in colorado too.  We avoid it like the plague,  mainly because of
    A: the parking lot and
    B: the shoppers--arrrg, stop being annoying, please

Our little independent market shares the same parking lot with our WF and, dang, it is such a tough decision to go there just because of the WF messy massive mob.
  • Oh Minkey I hate that too!  Like, come on, personal space peoples!! :o

That said, not very much gets on my nerves.  When people chew and click their teeth loudly or chew with their mouth open though, omg it makes me murderous.  >_>
    Or people who stay waaayyy too long in a public restroom, and I'm trying to "go" but I know they're out there doing their makeup.. it weirds me out and I just can't DO it.. I just sit there on the toilet feeling stupid and uncomfortable. >_<
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • -When people talk with food in their mouth or noisy eaters...it kills my appetite.

- People who curse or smoke or that talk about unfriendly topics around children, have some manners you dweeb.

- People driving recklessly, we got a lot of them at my city :c

- People who think of themselves like the only person that matters, looking down on everyone else and toying with other people lives and feelings.
    Posted 12 years ago by Eriol Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ferey it's funny to me you lump cursing in with smoking.  ~O.o~  Do you mean like, smoking around kids?  Lumped with cursing around kids?  Because if so I agree :: nods :: ... but if not that seems odd to me.  (Not arguing with you obviously since we all have our own things that "grind our gears")
    And yeah I HATE it when people drive recklessly :(  It puts so many people's lives in danger.  I just can't understand that.. or when people drink and drive.  :`(

And that last one.. yeah.  Narcissists really bother me.. not like in a "grind my gears" kind of way but a "lose faith in humanity" kind of way.  :<

Something else that grinds my gears *severely* is when my 11 year old (almost 12) argues with me about stupid crap.. which is everything and always... He thinks he's soooo much smarter than me and I'm like, dude you're not even officially a teenager yet and you're pulling this crap (?!!) knock it off.  Like we were in the store and he was trying to convince me he knew for a fact that no cereal existed in our house, and I was telling him that I just bought some the day before, and he didn't believe me so he was LOUDLY yelling and arguing at me about it and I was trying to reason with him and also explain that he should not treat an adult like that.  :: shakes head ::  And then to-day he was telling me he believes that humans are inherently evil, and tried to give me all these different examples and they weren't even real things, they were things that may have been true like 50 years ago but now like, we re-plant trees that are harvested, there are carbon taxes, and there's such a thing as the European Union that has cut down (ie ELIMINATED) the wars in Europe, like in Germany and stuff.. he was thinking that Germany and Europe in general was still riddled with war.  ~O.o~  What the HELL are they TEACHING him in school?!  I shouldn't have to be the one to explain how all this stuff works.  I mean seriously.   And when he talks over me, like when I'm trying to tell him about how something works or the way something is in the world and he just starts talking while I'm still talking, I want to smack him so hard (I DON'T, but I FEEL like I should, just to smack some respect into him)... I mean damn.

OK there's my rant for to-night.  >_>"
  • Awww, sorry you are having the terrible teen experience so soon!!

I have a feeling that your almost 12 year old is
    A. fighting you for the sake of challenging you.  (Oh, the matches my mom and got into from the time I was 12 till the time I was...19?)  Have you asked him if there is something else he is angry at?  Maybe an "are you angry at me?" would be good.

B. seriously upset about the things they teach in school.  Learning histories of the world is one thing when you are younger but the stuff they teach you as you get older is kind of scary.  That particular history of Germany, the one we are all  familiar with, which they still dramatize in movies and TV, is ugly, scary, difficult to believe and, oddly enough, not believed by some.  No one wants to think about killing people in large batches in the hopes of removing that kind of person or that "race' or all the dwarves or all the......well, it is just scary.  He may not realize that Germany has changed and that when those things were being done, it wasn't everyone German, it was the people who wanted an extreme.  Maybe you could actually demand to know the curriculum.  They could be teaching history without teaching the current state of affairs.  And, I think, that is a bit cruel.  Young minds are not fully developed and might be upset or over-reacting.

Don't feel too upset that he argues with you.  That is what some young people do.  Probably extremely frustrating!!

Oh, and I have another idea!  Regarding little silly things like do you or don't you know the cereal status of the cupboard:
    You might try something like this, "Wow, you are so sure that we don't have cereal.  I'm still not going to buy any today.  Maybe tomorrow.  We can always have something else for breakfast"  instead of "yes, we do have it".  Only because the latter is what will (I think) encourage more "no, we don't" from him.  At least, when I was at that age, I would have snapped right back with whatever I was so sure of.

I have to say, I don't have kids and I don't think I could take that kind of arguing!  I could be wrong but, wow, I have no idea how parents manage!!
  • Aw thanks for all the helpful advice Minkey. <3  I do try to ask him, "Are you angry at *me*?"  and usually the answer is no.. he's angry at something else entirely.. he's just taking it out on me because I'm here.  -_-

And I do think I'm going to start reviewing the curriculum.  :(  I didn't think about the thing with Germany but that's so true.. they're probably covering some of the older history and not bothering to mention that things have changed.  He was admittedly shocked when I explained how the EU functions and stuff now, and he was happier, for it.

(( hugs ))  <3
    I think you'll be a great parent.  You seem like you'd be really good with communication and stuff.  Me, most of the time I just snap X(  It's my dear hubby who steps in and does all the good communicating.  I don't know what I'd do without him.
  • OK something else that really gets to me.. seeing parents who don't set boundaries or rules for their kids, and their kids rule them.  :: shakes head ::