Topic

People of Estonia

Is this accurate?  www.kwintessential.co.uk/re...

I think the info on the USA is pretty accurate... except the business about the knife and fork to indicate whether you're done eating or not.... I never heard of that before.

A friend sent me a link to the info on Brazil which was interesting to read.

And other countries care to chime in? 

Posted 12 years ago by Pirate Apples Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Neat!  Are you Estonian?

I'm American but did not read the part about Americans, just the Estonian part.  When I eat out, I turn my fork tines down and tuck the sharp part of the knife towards to fork, so the cutting edge is never towards the person picking up the plate.  I leave them on the plate.  I had been told that this is a signal to the server that you are done but my mother was raised by her grandmother so it is probably an old and dated custom even though I always do that.

Hmmm, nothing too different from the stuff listed for Estonians.  I think the manners and such are kind of similar in a lot of European countries.  Having grown up Hindu and eating at a lot of Indian meals, I know Indians tend to eat with their right hand and never with their left hand.  This was awkward for me since I'd been taught to eat continental style.

I don't know much about Estonia, only that it is just across the water from Finland and that the vikings trampled through it.  Must be cold!

I guess I can think of something else.  I'm Irish, Welsh and French Canadian.  I only know that my Irish family held hootnannies regularly with drinking, dancing and lots of music being played.  They made their own instruments and my brother and I have one, the devil's head fiddle our great grandfather made.  I am a fairly awful musician!  Must have skipped a generation.
    Posted 12 years ago by Minkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for the reply Minkey!!!

To answer your question... no.  I'm not Estonian, but I've read that TS has developers who are, so I wanted to wave the flag.   I went to High School (in the US) with the current President of Estonia so I'm always curious to read about it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pirate Apples Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Think I just added another country to my bucket list !
    Never really read much about Estonian before but if that link is accurate it sounds awesome !
    Posted 12 years ago by BlackWolf Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've met only one Estonian.  I asked "are you Danish?" but I was wrong.  Looked just like my Danish friend.  My place to visit is Nordlingen, Germany--so cool!
    Posted 12 years ago by Minkey Subscriber! | Permalink