Topic

Your Zombie Apocalypse Survival Plan! :D

Personally, I am going to grab my Machete, my .22, and my bug out bag and head for the airforce base a mile and a half away (upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...). Next, I will either salvage supplies, or maintain comfort while the military presence takes care of me :) How about you? What is your plan? Post the following:
1.) Weapon readily available to you
2.) Where you are going
3.) How you are going to get there
Also, if you so wish, post any extra things you may want to share with us Zombie nerds! :D

Posted 12 years ago by The Rook Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Well, not to go into too much detail, but I have a place all staked out.

It's a campground with a ton of cabins, about a mile down a back road from a heating oil company with huge tanks, and right across a field from a good sized lake. It sits back off the road, hidden from view, and it is kind of uppsy, in the foothills of a mountain.

My family are generally well armed people. Almost everyone has experience shooting. My daughter is learning archery. My husband is a mechanic, so as long as we have fuel, we can keep the vehicles running, plus making anti-zombie modifications will be a snap. I'm a stay at home mom and I am well versed in gardening, canning, cooking, sewing and any other number of domestic crafts.

I might be close to qualifying for one of those crazy doomsday prep shows, but we actually have some kits already made to just grab and go if we need to take off for a long term problem. Stuff like seeds and sewing kits, hiking gear...

OK, I officially sound crazy.
    Posted 12 years ago by Belle Z. Bub Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Haha, That sounds like the best pre- laid out plan I have heard in a while, Belle :) And yes, we do sound crazy, but then again, anyone who even considers a zombie apocalypse is a little crazy :D
  • 1. SKS (with bayonet), 2 M1911s, Winchester "over-under" double-barreled shotgun, machete, hatchet, "Arkansas Toothpick", tactical crossbow with broadheads (these are things I have already, incidentally, rather than a wish-list)... oh, and I'm between a National Guard depot and an AF base (though I'd probably have an easier time looting weapons from the depot). Might try to lay my hands on a Humvee or two as well.
    I'm a combat veteran, so I don't think the weapons and defense part's going to be all that difficult. I can repair weapons, reload ammo, and (in theory) could probably make my own gunpowder, but that's a waaay last ditch attempt, because I never made any I loaded into a shell. I can, however, make explosives if I ended up needing to.
    2. Before I leave town, I'm also looting the local medicine distributor (about 3 blocks from me), and rounding up as many of my vet buddies as I can, hitting up as many grocery stores as possible on the way. We'll head to the western part of the state, where I know the location of a certain decommed communications bunker, to hole up there with supplies. The plan would be to wait about a month before venturing out to see what conditions on the ground are- maybe the zombies would just collapse into a pile of goo after awhile? Who knows- better safe than sorry.
    3. Aside from the aforementioned (possible) Humvees, I'll be taking a Dodge M-37 that's already had pretty heavy "narco-tank" style modifications to it (not quite as heavily modded as that pic, however- I don't want a vehicle that gets 4 miles to the gallon).

ETA - It should be noted that this is my overall "SHTF" plan, not just specifically for zombies lol.
    Posted 12 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That is a very well thought out plan :P I am too young to own a gun, so I would have to hope some fool on the street dies with one on hand for me to grab, so I am not stuck with a .22 that I am still 50% sure wont pierce a skull
  • I'm a military guy, so the whole contingency-planning thing kinda got drill (sergeant-ed) into me lol. I'm also fairly distrustful of authority, so I'm kinda wondering when the world's gonna get jacked via government (hence the reason I don't feel any sense of remorse about looting a military base)... like I said, this is my overall apocalypse plan, though I hope I never have to put it into action.As far as a .22 goes, you'd be surprised... if you really had to inflict a casualty on a live person (giants forbid), a .22 round tends to bounce around off bone and the like- probably not good for zombies aside from buying you a minute or two to get out of range, but effective against marauders after your supplies; not bad range either, depending on the powder charge in the bullets you're using. Try getting hold of a .223, though- if you happen across an M16 or an AR10, you can swap your gun for them without losing ammo due to caliber incompatibility.
    Not trying to be morbid... just sayin'.
  • Haha, no not morbid at all! :D This thread should have noone looking at it who couldnt handle a bit of morbidity anyway :P
  • Well, I have a plan for just about every type of apocalypse there is, including zombies.

In case of zombie apocalypse:
    raid bro's house for arms (no, not body parts silly!)
    make sure canned items and dried foods locked up good
    don't drive too fast
    don't pull on the steering wheel to fast--sheesh!
    Don't let anyone in
    Don't let anyone out
    put that window garden to use
    Rip out bottom of stairs (but not so much I can't jump down)
    Don't go to the mall!!  There is no where to go, do what you can where you are and with what you have.

It is very basic but has the most important parts about driving safely which is good advice for any apocalypse!

ETA:  As usual, I didn't read the instructions!

Okay, point one, I have one double barreled side by side 20 gauge and one 38 snub nose that are locked up at my brother's because I don't use them and I don't have a safe.  But, I'll just make them available for major emergencies only because I think a machete (have two) and a garden hoe (have one) are better.  Might put the long crow bar to use too.  I don't think fire arms are a good choice as they are noisy and attract attention.  I've been in a riot and let me tell you, mob mentality is real!  You don't want anyone, zombie or otherwise, to know you have anything or to know you exist.

Point two, not going anywhere except maybe for an initial market raid  for non-perishables.

Point three, my car.  It is small, fairly quiet and not a gas guzzler.
    Posted 12 years ago by Minkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My whole reasoning behind overwhelming firepower and large, armored vehicles is- I'd be less concerned about zombies than I would depredations by the unscrupulous and/or unprepared. I don't live right downtown in my section of town, and none of the places I'd hit before I left town are more than 5 minutes' drive from where I live. And as far as leaving town goes, it's the biggest town in my state- at some point, no matter how well I was sealed up in my house, I'd end up getting caught in a wave of zombies looking for food, sweeping out of the more populous areas of town. The way I see it, if I can be out of town within the first two days of an all-out apocalypse, I'm going to be fine. 
    Weapon-wise, the machetes, knife and crossbow are mostly for zombies. The actual guns are for plain ol' self defense.

The heavy vehicles specifically are because the trip I'd have to take would be about three hours through terrain with very little cover and very few towns to make a stand in; as a result, if any trouble reared its head, it'd be a full-on Road-Warrior-style battle. In that situation t'd be simpler to just overwhelm whoever's got a problem and continue on. On top of that, a lot of farmers in my state have their own fuel tanks for farm equipment and the like- refueling when necessary wouldn't be that big a deal in the short term.
    Once I reach my destination, however, I'm good- the facility's on private land (I know the owners and they'd have no problems with its use, if they're still around), it's heavily stocked with supplies, it's locked up and blast-proof, and the town it lies outside of has a maximum population of about 750- a good week of clean-up should I and those with me really need to make use of the town itself. As far as the facility is concerned, nobody- zombie or otherwise- would be able to get in, or even know we were there, for that matter, and it's about 25,000 square feet of underground space with working communications equipment.
  • on my way!!
  • :D I am so happy to see fellow zombie fanatics here! I feel like, with all the research and preparation I have done, my plan seems a tad mediocre in comparison. However, I suppose simplicity in a world full of zombies and carnage can only be viewed as a positive :P
  • Chainsaw
    Garage
    Walking outside and going to my garage. (duh)
    Posted 12 years ago by daniel5457 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Unless I/we get out of the city early, the major roads and freeways will probably be an impassable parking lot of freaked people and fresh zombies turning.  Barricading in the neighborhood would also be suicide.  Eventually enough zombies would overwhelm the street.  So, it's hop on a motorcycle or mountain bike and head for the hills... hit the fire roads to the forest OR to the ocean, grab a kayak or a boat to get as far away from the metro as possible.  Camping/hiking gear always ready.  Grab the lightest foods and some water.  Food won't matter if we are too weighed down and slow moving then get eaten.  Although, cans of food in a stuff sack make a good bludgeon.  I'd rather not let the zombie get that close if I can help it.

Be stealthy as possible.  Avoid zombies when ya can.  If we do have to fight, then go all out. Slash, Shoot and Burn!     
    Posted 12 years ago by Ooola Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like this, Ooola!!  Mountain bike, why didn't I think of that?  Yes, they don't need gas, you'll be able to replace and repair bike tire's easily (think of all the abandoned bikes when people get in their cars before being eaten on highway!).  And, they are fairly quiet.

I don't know about the ocean idea even though we do have a couple of boats.  They use gas.  And, what about the Dawn of the Dead remake???  At the end, when they get to the island???  No, I don't think I'd brave that.

You also have a great plan for not too many canned items.  They ARE heavy and I am a good forager, during any time of the year.  Oh, free food, how I love thee.

Okay, you can come over with your bikes and knapsacks, it will be fun!
  • My Plan:
    1) Brains
    2) Brainsss
    3) Braiiinnnsss!

I love all things zombie, and I love hearing prep plans, but I honestly figure I'll get munched on pretty quickly ;)

One of my friends is right into this sort of thing though and reviews a bunch of items here: apocalypseequipped.blogspot...
    I will admit I am a bad friend though as I've only read a couple of his posts, lol :D

Now if SHTF (thank you DDP for teaching me that term lol) I'm sure all that will help him and his family survive... and I'll just munch on brains until one of you lot off me properly ;)
    Posted 12 years ago by xombiekitty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It is a secret.  So if you turn in to a zombie you won't already know my plan.
    Posted 12 years ago by Thursday Soleil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Minkey  *fist bump*   I got your back.  

Awesome thread!  
    I'm eating lots of curiously strong mints and making this.... 
    Altoids Survival Kit

• I am currently writing an amateur zombie survival guide on a website on wattpad! Here is the link to whoever is interested in some humorous zombie tips:
    www.wattpad.com/story/18642...
  • My plan involves, loading up a car with bags of sugar and tequila, and a helium tank. Seriously, think about it.
    Posted 12 years ago by snarkle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • But, what about the CHILDREN?

@snarkle... Fear and Loathing in Zombieland  :)   
  • Honestly, I know the second I see a little girl in the zombie apocalypse, I will probably die trying to help her
  • djabrill you'll probably die using that plan. you forget that your worse enemy is other people. going to a hot spot like that... you're going to get killed by people. not to mention hospitals are always zombie-dense locations (assuming it's a sickness type outbreak) because that's where people go when they first get their 100 degree fever.

the fact is... if you haven't properly prepared for any 'shtf' scenario (as you put it), you're not going to make it. no matter your plan, if you didn't prep for it, you're going to be one of the panicked people struggling to find a way to survive. and you likely wont.

but since this is a conversation that has permeated into our culture... as for zombies specifically... it greatly depends on the type of zombie which was not described in the OP. romero/twd style... simple. go north. where it is cold. zombies emit no body heat and will freeze. also it's remote enough that you could easily survive.
    Posted 12 years ago by Mr. Dawgg Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The weapons I have available are simple: Some good kitchen knives, and a steeling rod. I've got a length of wood here that I could tie one of those to in order to extend the range, but other than that I'm screwed for anything but close combat (and really, what do I know about knife fighting)

Where I'd go?  I think I'd block the elevators in my building, and the staircase needs a key so I'd be safe here until someone inside gets infected. After that I could hopefully make my way down along the balcony, although I don't think I have enough rope to make it all the way down. Beyond that?  Not a clue.  I can't think of any defensible structures around here and the police station nearby probably doesn't have a closet full of shotguns either.

Now that I think of it, I there's one restaurant nearby  that only has one entrance and is otherwise entirely on the first floor, with a good view of the area and a glass floor so the pesky undead can't hide out of sight: goo.gl/maps/PEdBF - I suspect that'd be a decent place to stay for a while.  If the streets aren't crowding with zombies yet I could get there within five minutes on my bicycle.
    Posted 12 years ago by Chiff Subscriber! | Permalink
  • xombiekitty: I'm not into the zombie thing - sorry! I do like kitties!! :) - but I find tactical gear review blogs like that really interesting :D
    Posted 12 years ago by diaveborn ♥ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Mr Dawgg - No, I understand that people would be the worst enemy- that's why I said it in my earlier posts; I used some pretty big words, but it's in there. As far as my destination being a "hot spot", not so much. It's not mapped, is heavily secured, and is about 15 miles outside the closest town on a dirt road. It's not a hospital, it's a communications bunker- the medical dispensary isn't a hospital either, just a warehouse with a bunch of medicine in it. As far as being prepared ahead of time- all those weapons listed I own currently; the only reason for going to the NG base (staffed by about 45 people according to a few people I know who work there) would be for vehicles- all of which are optional. The M-37 I already own, and it's already heavily modified. I'm well-prepped (including food, ammo, and emergency supplies), so I think I'll be fine.
  • Follow-Up question:

What is your long-term goal and how would you achieve it?
  • Dig in for awhile (in any situation)- get on a schedule, both for maintenance and sanity reasons, especially since my destination is going to be underground and both will be important. Having been on a submarine, I've got a bit of insight on that one. If it was a zombie apocalypse, wait till either the local zombies have wandered off or just decomposed enough to be less of a threat, then clear the surrounding area, salvaging and scavenging anything remotely useful. Put the communications equipment to use, attempting to contact others who may have access to similar equipment. CBs would also be a handy way of reaching others.
    Begin taking in survivors, if any are around, and fitting them into the work, security, and scavenging details; I'd be a bit of a taskmaster on that last point, and wouldn't be in the business of babysitting.
     After awhile, see about getting the nearby town up and running again on some level, considering that it's right on an interstate and an excellent spot to travel east and west from, or to stop over in on a long trip. Set up security in the town, attempt to keep the peace, and deal with those who can't abide by what limited rules are put in place. Help those who need it, particularly those with useful skills, get set up and settled in.
    After that- agriculture, trade networks, and local industry; using wind to get the power on (it's Kansas- we're not short on wind or windmills). Doctors, dentists, schools, etc.
  • diaveborn, that's cool. Zombie adoration isn't for everyone lol :D
    I'll let Josh know his site is liked :)
    I read more of his stuff after posting here lol.

Djabriil, I find it interesting you mention taking in survivors. Do you worry that people you take in would be a problem? I know you said you'd deal with them, but how do you decide they're safe to take in to begin with?

I'd suck in a situation like this because I wouldn't trust anyone.
    If I didn't go zombie of course.
    Posted 12 years ago by xombiekitty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @xombiekitty - I think "law" would take on a somewhat different meaning in a situation like that... it'd be much more sweeping and three-strikes-based, one strike depending on the offense.
    I'd definitely be worried about taking in survivors, but I'd be more prone to take in families with children- to my way of thinking, a family would be less likely to ruin its chances if there were children involved, and would probably be a little more responsible than one guy with a motorcycle and twenty guns. 
    I think an orientation of some kind would be necessary, where the rules and consequences for breaking them were laid out in no uncertain terms; I also think I'd hold off on survivors till the bulk of the zombie issue was resolved in the area- then you know that the people wanting to settle aren't simply there to use up your resources and hide out (sounds harsh, but I'm not super-trusting in the best of times).
    My natural inclination would be to simply scavenge and hide out in the bunker for the rest of my life- that's why it'd be important for me to mingle with others, even if it's just so I don't go full survivalist-hermit on everybody.
  • I have an AMAZING plan but I am not telling you guys. Only I can survive. You shall all perish!
    Posted 12 years ago by Ultra-Dynamic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hey guys! I am checking on the thread, and I LOVE the awesome ideas!!! :D I am currently researching zombie paraphernalia because I have that much free time, and I found this:
    www.etsy.com/listing/107602...
    These are called tombies, little zombie head keychains in a multitude of colors and 3 styles, only for $5!
  • NOTICE:
    I have now created a Zombie Apocalypse group for all you fanatics out there called The Z.A.P.C! I am hoping that after the large response on this thread, you will all consider becoming active members and help me spread it throughout Ur!

Here is the link:
    www.glitch.com/groups/RHVKN...
  • Send me an invite!
  • Facts: I like to knit... zombies cannot bite/scratch through duct tape. 

I will be knitting duct tape chain mail.... now taking orders.

:D
    Posted 12 years ago by RainyRain Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had not been aware of the zombie duct tape connection.  I am now going to run away with your idea and knit with duct tape...ah hahahaha!
    actually,  if it isn't easier than plarn, forget it!
    I'll buy two hauberks, one extra small and one large and two dog-hauberks, one small and one medium please.
    Thank you!
  • The problem with raiding any kind of store after Z-Day is that SO WILL EVERYONE ELSE. Almost no one will be calm and cooperative, and you're not going to get anything after everyone leaves because the stores will have been emptied out. Better off learning to be self-sufficient. I've chosen stuff I already have or I can buy now with zero hassle and zero suspicion.

Machete, spiked club, thwacking pole
    Bicycle with basic maintenance tools and portable tire pump
    Duct tape, WD-40
    ROPE
    Fishing Pole (perhaps collapsible for easy carrying)
    A basic guide to edible and inedible plants, animals, fungi
    Iodine/water treatment
    Perhaps a disinfectant (Considering the possibility that maybe if one immediately sterilizes a zombie wound, one can prevent zombification) and/or handgun with a single bullet
    Basic tools (hammer, nails, handsaw, screws, screwdriver, adjustable wrench, pliers, nuts and bolts)

It probably would be best to head north, or make a raft and head to an island (northern island is doubleplusgood). Once I get isolated enough, I'd could either find and secure (if zombie infested) a cabin, hopefully with amenities, or I'd have to make a shelter

ALSO: Books by Ragnar Benson. Srsly.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragnar_Benson 

Once the zombies mostly die out, I think I'd be free to look for civilization and other survivors, and then we can all play glitch but IRL lol
    Posted 12 years ago by SaSa Jack Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ah so you're one of those nutjob preppers... nevermind. good for you. nothing is going to happen like that. zombies or otherwise.
    Posted 12 years ago by Mr. Dawgg Subscriber! | Permalink
  • hiya Mr. Dawgg... so, do you have any patches of dry, flaky, itchy skin?  a craving for rare bloody meat?  insomnia?  bloodshot eyes?  Irrational crankiness?  oh, wait.. check
    *sideways glance, eyebrow raised*
  • My game plan is to get infected as soon as possible and really make a good dent in the general population before some prepared person cuts me in half with a chainsaw.
    Posted 12 years ago by Dagny Taggart Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Daryl Dixon...

'nuff said.
    Posted 12 years ago by Rutger Subscriber! | Permalink