Topic

Life: When The Blues Strike Us Down...

What do you do?

We all experience it in different ways, most of us just don't feel motivation to do anything, we just want to curl up in bed and hope to hibernate like a bear for the rest of our life not giving a damn about a knock on our bedroom door, a bowl of soup or even an invitation to a trip with some friends; we just want our bed to come alive and eat us up right then and there and leave no trace of our existence behind.

But we can do some things to step out of that cold, gray atmosphere. At least at a level we can feel good at.

The last time I was severely depressed I didn't eat a thing for days and I would stay in bed listening to music or playing videogames and I would try to speak as little as possible. I would only talk when it would be absolutely necessary.

When I used to have a tiny bit of freedom to go out I would drive and get lost myself in the city and tried to make up thoughts of the many faces I would see and get lost in my imagination...

"That girl looks so lonely, hmm...she looks like she could use a hug from...him...if he's clumsy enough he would trip over her and fall over that birthday cake behind her and he would give her his jacket to cover the mess on her back..."

A granny who feeds the birds who wants to control them with a "Birdbrain-o-taker" helmet in order to take revenge on the kid that would always come every Sunday to scare them off with a ball...

A 60 year-old man who goes to a hill with a bag full of blank paper sheets, writing small messages of various experiences and wisdom on them, folding them into paper planes and throwing them off to the tailwind everyday at 3 o'clock.

And a lot of other silly little stories like that...

So what do you guys like to do when you are down in the dumps?

I'm not feeling blue right now, I'm just pondering here and I'm curious about other people's thoughts about the subject, that's all.

Thanks for reading!

~Eriol

Posted 12 years ago by Eriol Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I eat chocolate and put on funny movies.  I am not one to get depressed, it takes a LOT to bring me down, and I mean a lot a lot.  When I am upset and down, I can't eat and so I eat chocolate.  I mean, really, is there anyone who will turn down chocolate?  Well, I'm sure there is but not me, no way!

Our little dog died in February.  I couldn't focus on my classes, I had to miss some work, I even missed a class (I NEVER miss class, even 4 feet of snow can't keep me from school).  We curled up in balls and stayed in bed, stinky, sobbing, starving but not hungry.

So, we did what my mom always says to do:
    Be good to your self and to each other (no arguing, don't be mean, don't use harsh tones)
    Eat chocolate--do NOT hold back on this one!
    drink water
    get vitamin C
    watch funny movies, even if you can't stand to or can't laugh.

I hate funny movies when I'm hurting but, in a week or so, we were laughing a little bit.

We still miss our little buddy, I still dream of my rescuing Pablo Honey or his rescuing me.  We cried recently, because it was just so wrong without him.  And, then we just keep moving on.  We are not stuck in bed sobbing still, it just popped up again a couple weeks ago.  But, we don't let it take us down.

Blah!  Seriously--chocolate!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Minkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh yeah, sweets are a very nice escape.

I actually read an article some time ago about food and emotions and it said that chocolate is really good for depression.

Still, I don't eat sweets that much myself XP
    Posted 12 years ago by Eriol Subscriber! | Permalink
  • yeah, I only eat sweets once a week but it was a tough time.  Cocoa even went into chili and sauces!
    Posted 12 years ago by Minkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When I have rough days I listen to music REALLY LOUDLY (if I can due to no others in house). I also talk about it and complain to people and listen to there stories or read about others on the web who have it worse than me. I try to put it all in perspective. If that doesn't work I go to bed and sleep. Usually by the morning it wears off.
    Posted 12 years ago by Holly Waterfall Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When the blues strike me down i play with my rubriks cube
    Posted 12 years ago by total.rebel Subscriber! | Permalink