Topic

Let's help name a baby sloth!

A baby sloth was just born at the National Aquarium in Baltimore Maryland and they are asking the public to submit potential names.  Why don't we select a name (I'm thinking either "Glitch" or "Tiny Speck") and see if we can't use our numbers to make it happen.  

http://www.aqua.org/explore/sloth-naming-contest

Posted 12 years ago by Green Meanie Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Since the mom's name is Ivy, I think a related nature name like Daisy, Juniper, or a popular South American name would be appropriate.

Btw, found this while searching about sloths:
    The sloth's taxonomic suborder is Folivora, while some call it Phyllophaga. Both names mean "leaf-eaters"; derived from Latin and Greek respectively. Names for the animals used by tribes in Ecuador include RittoRit and Ridette, mostly forms of the word "sleep", "eat" and "dirty" from Tagaeri tribe of Huaorani. Sloths are classified as folivores as the bulk of their diet consists mostly of buds, tender shoots, and leaves, mainly of Cecropia tree.
    Posted 12 years ago by Holly Waterfall Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think naming it after something Glitchy is a fabulous idea! Even "Glitch" :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Kookaburra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lovely idea! I think either glitch, or the name of one of the streets with lots of sloths :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Montooli Subscriber! | Permalink