Topic

Book recommendations?

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/84726

O wise Glitchen,
I finally decided on my post-Glitch rebound software: Kindle. Now I need your help with finding books! In particular, looking for:

- Page turning distractions (*waves to Eureka*)- Coping with loss
- Increasing productivity in other aspects of life (esp. business productivity books, lol - I need to start kicking ass at my job again)

xo in adv -

Posted 11 years ago by EgIantine Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• for the last one you mentioned, increasing productivity:  Getting Things Done by David Allen.  I haven't read it but my guy swears by it and he has ADD/OCD.  It helps him get work done!

for the first one...no idea what you like but I loved Voyage of the Narwhal by Andrea Barret.

Share what books you normally enjoy or list a few favourites and I'll come up with more ideas.

Minkey is a book hound, fiction, non-fiction...you name it!
    *pushes glasses up a bit*
    Posted 11 years ago by Minkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Author suggestion: John Green. Especially Looking for Alaska and The Fault in Our Stars
    Posted 11 years ago by rach.the.emobear Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist
    Posted 11 years ago by ♥ Love you Glitch ♥ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oooh, I loved that movie, Davon, the Swedish one, never saw the remake.  Great story and such good young actors.  Now I have to read it  :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Minkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • you will love the Book even more if you loved the Movie, Minkey ;)
    Posted 11 years ago by ♥ Love you Glitch ♥ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The Child Thief by Brom. I can't recommend this book highly enough. It's a modern day retelling of Peter Pan, and the illustrations at the start of each chapter are beautiful.

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness is also wonderful. I read it with my twelve year old son and we both adored it.
    Posted 11 years ago by Troll Doll Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I recently read The Power of Habit (Charles Duhigg) and have found it both interesting & helpful in regard to addressing productivity. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Good Pilgrim Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The Books of Pellinor. They are great distractions :D.
    Posted 11 years ago by Ambillina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Try these sites, they are great places for recommendations, based on your reading preferences, etc.

Tastekid: www.tastekid.com/

Hunch: hunch.com/ (I actually discovered Glitch through this site, and I have enjoyed almost everything it has recommended. I just discovered last week that it was developed by Stoot's ex-wife, so small world)

Goodreads has some good recommendations too, from fellow readers. Worth a try.
    Posted 11 years ago by natsumi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Uh, for pure page-turning fluff, I recommend most anything by Tad Williams, but especially the Otherland series or War of the Flowers. The former is sci fi at the base of things, but incorporates many more settings as well. The second one is whimsical in that it's set in a fairy land, but not your typical unicorns-and-rainbows type.

Alternatively, the A Song of Ice and Fire series (better known as Game of Thrones) by George R. R. Martin. Full of politics and wars, but oh so good all the same.
    Posted 11 years ago by Liathea Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.

Sort of a fantasy-satire. The tone and themes of the books depend on which characters are the focus of the story (wizards, witches, Death, the Watch, etc). I'm a big fan of Watch stories, as they're the policing force, so the stories are generally detective/mystery like.

I would suggest starting with Going Postal. Though it's later in the series, it's a good starting off point.
    Posted 11 years ago by Owlburst Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Not sure this fits with your wanting a page turning distraction. But, I recomend The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas. Definitely one of my favorite books! :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Kaepora Subscriber! | Permalink