Topic

Where did your username come from and what does it mean?

I'm always interested to know these things and I know I can't be the only one! :D

Mine is the name of my favorite color. A vivid, bright, bold blue. I also want to name my actual child this, some day. I'm going to be one of those weird parents that names their kids all sorts of weird things (not as farfetched as "Pilot Inspektor") like Silhouette or Viridian, haha.

Posted 13 years ago by Cerulean Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 Next
  • A lot of people can already guess where my name came from, and I gave a hint in my bio, but it has a bit more history than that.

Carl is a character I made for a Changling game.  He was snatched from his crib as an infant by the Fomori (the ancient Irish gods of the deep sea), and spent most of his early childhood as a goat fish.  Upon being set free and integrating with human society, he heard this song by Regina Spektor called "Human of the Year Award" and fell in love with it (thinking erroneously it was about someone like him).  So, he decided to take the name Carl Projectorinski!
    Posted 12 years ago by Carl Projectorinski Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am a mister, I like flying things. Hence, MrVolare.
    Posted 12 years ago by MrVolare Subscriber! | Permalink
  • originally I was purppong101, a name my dad thought up when I was 8. I always use that username. then u decided to try something new. I was trying to think up a name when my cat Maxy stuck her claws into my leg. I patted her and typed in Maxy cat!
    Posted 12 years ago by Maxy Cat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love the Beatles, and one of my all-time favourite albums (I'm dating myself here calling it an "album", aren't I?) is Abbey Road...so, I changed the spelling of the last name to "Rhode", and oddly enough (or so I thought), no one else was using it yet! And, there you have it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Abbey Rhode Subscriber! | Permalink
  • my user name is rbthgf and ppl ask me all the time what it means but to tell you the truth it really doesn't mean anything XD
    Posted 12 years ago by rbthgf Subscriber! | Permalink
  • SaSa is actually a nickname given to me from my godmother when I was little (based on my name), and Jack is a variation on my last name, so my username is really just a variation of my real name... >.<
    Posted 12 years ago by SaSa Jack Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ellisande means Rose of the Sun in the Old Tongue from Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series. R.I.P. RJ
    Posted 12 years ago by Ellisande Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I laugh a lot. ;>.>
    Posted 12 years ago by Laughter Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like people watching people tell others that my name is one of a kind! " their name is 1 of a kind, Carl!"
    Posted 12 years ago by 1 of a kind Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Heh, heh!  That's 1 of a kind!  I love it!
  • A random morbid, violent name.  That's me!
    Posted 12 years ago by FTW BACON!! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Simple. My name is Liz. Lhyzz is just a funny spelling, making fun of people spelling simple names with extra letters and extraneous Ys.
    Posted 12 years ago by ༺Lhyzz༻ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • R and J are my first two initials, and all of my initials spell RJS. My car is a Geo Storm, and so first I was going to do RJS's Storm, but instead did RJStorm, because it fit good, then I put in RJStormRider   'cuz it sounded cool. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by RJStormRider Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ayasta is a name I pulled from a random name generator. Whenever I write stories, I tend to use RNGs instead of pulling up baby names (though I do that too) and I felt like I should continue my role of playing characters on MMOs with an A in them. I thought about using one of my internet nicknames, but I decided against it.

Apparently, Ayasta is also a Cherokee name meaning "Spoiler of Children", which I did not know until I did research (and found someone with the name who is also a writer). I find it funny though, since I have no children to spoil. XD
    Posted 12 years ago by Ayasta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There's a song I like by They Might Be Giants, called "You probably get that a lot".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anWrcmKsYI8

I really like the character they describe in the song, and have imagined even more things about her.  But they didn't give her a name, and just called her a "cephalophore", which confused me.  Then I looked up cephalophore on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cephalophore

And when I read that, I thought, ooooh... I could make something out of this!

And I tried.  I really tried.  But all I got was a rug that didn't work:

http://twitpic.com/967eaj/full
    Posted 12 years ago by Cephalophoria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've been hauling mine around for quite some time.

It's Irish for 'Dance of Death', which was suitably morbid when I was 12 and remains sufficiently cryptic at 23.

My wife (FaerieInGrey) hates it, which I suppose makes it all the better :P

I've been playing around with making a new name with music notes and maybe an eth or four. Maybe one day...
    Posted 12 years ago by MarbhDamhsa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Im ragdolly anna coz i use to love that book and programme, plus i look like a ragdoll. http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.kidsera.com/images/0157.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.kidsera.com/links/0157.htm&h=347&w=228&sz=27&tbnid=J48Y2rolrewpnM:&tbnh=96&tbnw=63&prev=/search%3Fq%3Drag%2Bdolly%2Banna%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=rag+dolly+anna&docid=ec0zyAVYKgRkWM&sa=X&ei=_X5_T4PvCfGZ0QWi0dz5Bg&ved=0CH8Q9QEwBw&dur=707
    Posted 12 years ago by ❧ℜook❧ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My Name Came From The First Two Words That Popped In My Head. Taco and Assassin
    Posted 12 years ago by Taco Assassin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My Name Came From The First Two Words That Popped In My Head. Taco and Assassin
  • I imagine you are feared at your nearby Taco Bell.
    But how do you eat them through that ninja headgear?
    Posted 12 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Closing my eyes and randomly pressing keys!
    Posted 12 years ago by Klikini Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had chosen Fern as a counselor name for sleepaway camp. Being somewhat unoriginal, it was already taken. Though not very into the books, I have always liked the Warriors naming scheme. Stream sounded nice with Fern. Fernstream.
    Posted 12 years ago by Fernstream Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well Excision is one of my fav Dubstep producers.
    Posted 12 years ago by Excision Subscriber! | Permalink
  • cause i am awesome and not married!
    Posted 12 years ago by littlemissawesome Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Typography! (But no, I'm not a typographer)

"In typography, a sans-serif, sans serif, san serif or simply sans typeface is one that does not have the small projecting features called "serifs" at the end of strokes. The term comes from the French word sans, meaning "without"." -- Wikipedia

The second 's' in 'sans' is silent, thus: San.
    Posted 12 years ago by San Serif Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I consider sun a personal symbol of sorts and have been using a sun-related alias for about a decade now. I didn't want to use that alias here for some reason that I can't remember, so I made this. Sleepy refers to my slow and relaxed disposition and also to my sleep-related health problems. >_>
    Posted 12 years ago by Sleepy Sun Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My username is my real middle name, Soube, except changed slightly, and spelt differently. Also, Doubie is said differently than Soube (Duh-bee and Soo-bee)

ETA: I called myself Sundae because I was eating cassis icecream at a friends cafe at the time I decided to change my name (it was out of Sundae or Cassis)
    Posted 12 years ago by Doubie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i was unhappy with two other names that popped into my mind at login... then i anagrammed them to try to find something that sounded ok. not very happy with the result.
    Posted 12 years ago by awdrone Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Vastra" is the name of a minor character in the new series of Doctor Who.  I cosplayed as this character for a while in game.  
    Posted 12 years ago by Vastra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like Phoenixes...I have no idea where the 'Wing' came from though...
    Posted 12 years ago by ❅Cobalt❅ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i loved vastra in doctor who! british tv breaking boundaries like nuts
    Posted 12 years ago by awdrone Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm misty power cuz i loved austin powers, so funny, and misty sounds mysterious!
    Posted 12 years ago by Misty Power Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I tired to talk one of my cousins into naming their daughter Daphnia but she caught on pretty quickly that it wasn't a flower. It's actually a water flea. I think they're adorable but my cousin wasn't too keen on naming her daughter after a crustacean. I couldn't let the name go to waste so I have bestowed it upon my Glitch. Also for whatever reason I think Daphnia look like cows in space. So yeah...water flea that looks like a space cow.

This is a Daphnia upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...

Cephalophoria - I saw your name and thought Cephalopods are awesome! And then I realized I can't read and looked up your name. Cephalophores are awesome!
    Posted 12 years ago by Daphnia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I used to watch the British cartoon "Danger Mouse" on Nickelodeon many years ago. It was always so funny the way His sidekick Penfold said, "Crumbs, DM!" So, dm it is.
    Posted 12 years ago by dm Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Danger Mouse!  That's AWESOME.
  • From the manga/anime Hikaru no Go.
    Posted 12 years ago by Touya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Kronos: A god from Percy Jackson, and Greek mythology (otherwise known as Cronus)
    Rats: My favorite animal.
    Bacon: Wait, is that even in my name?
    Posted 12 years ago by OMG BACON!! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When I was a young drummer, everyone called me "Crash".  Fast forward 100 years or so...I had a radio show that featured Smooth Jazz.  I needed an email address, so...jazzcrash.
    Posted 12 years ago by jazzcrash Subscriber! | Permalink
  • pandas are my fave anoimal and i have to tiny panda mascots that i like to carry around witth me (im just cazy like that.) i hate it that they are goping extinct : (
    im a huge anime fan and my fave anime is fma brotherhood. their is a panda in it ,http://fma.wikia.com/wiki/Xiao-Mei, and the name just seemed to fit!
    Posted 12 years ago by Anime_panda Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 Next